Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Do You Buy Your Books?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Secrets Bookstore in Dublin!
    Brill!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I'm kind of surprised so many of you seem to rely on online bookstores to get your books since the joys of the real-life bookshop are boundless! I buy my academic books online as they are quite specific, but for fiction or random non-fiction its Chapters, Waterstones, and a couple of others. All in the city centre and within 15 minutes of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

scop wrote:
    I'm kind of surprised so many of you seem to rely on online bookstores to get your books since the joys of the real-life bookshop are boundless! I buy my academic books online as they are quite specific, but for fiction or random non-fiction its Chapters, Waterstones, and a couple of others. All in the city centre and within 15 minutes of each other.

Cork has an unfortunate lack of choice when it comes to bookshops. It's one of the things that I'm most jealous of when it comes to Dublin. :(

nesf wrote:
    Cork has an unfortunate lack of choice when it comes to bookshops. It's one of the things that I'm most jealous of when it comes to Dublin. :(

That would drive me nuts! I'm not a great spender so its one my one little vice in that respect. Makes me feel like some kind of consumer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sorry if this is off topic (which I know it is, but it's relevant in its own way).

Just got a delivery of over €300 worth of books - cost me €55.24. Also, because I was paying over €55 the P&P was free and all the books are brand new. If anyone's interested in buying new books online (granted they're in bundles, so if a group of friends with similar interests wanted to buy together it might work too) the formerly suggested bookpeople website is (IMHO) great. Doesn't have the thrill of the chase of e-bay, but excellent and very reasonably priced.

• Advertisement

Great link blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

http://www.alibris.co.uk/ - searches through a network of independent bookstores

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

scop wrote:
    Great link blush.

I wish I could claim credit, but someone posted it earlier in the thread. I believe it was Fr. Clint Power, but I'm open to correction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

pk100 wrote:
    Starting tomorrow kennys.ie - Irelands Largest Online Bookshop will offer free shipping worldwide! For 5 days only! Visit kennys at www.kennys.ie
    I believe such advertisement is against the boards rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I believe such advertisement is against the boards rules.

Ruu sitebanned him hours ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

nesf wrote:

The mainly murder booksop on Paul St. or vibes and scribes (Cork's equivalent of chapters) are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Amazon.co.uk, some sellers charge like 1p! Can't be right... (can anyone explain why they are so cheap??) Still they usually arrive quickly and I've never gotten a second hand book, they are always brand new!

Other than that I use the secret book shop off Grafton st, near Tower Records. Loove second hand books...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Bought my last 4 books from the Book Depository, saved quite a bit on the Amazon, Reads or Easons prices.

Advertisement