Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove Express Anchors

Options
  • 06-02-2007 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭

Folks:

Can anyone tell me how I can remove express anchors without damaging surrounding brick/stonework?

Background: There's a shelf fitted in my house - one wooden support is anchored in a stone wall, the other in a red brick chimney-breast. (I've no idea why they weren't fixed with screws & rawl plugs.)

The only solution I've come up with so far is to remove the supports by splitting them with a chisel & then prising them off from around the anchors. I'd then take off the heads of the anchors with an angle grinder to be flush with the wall.

Any advice on a better way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Think the grinder is your best bet.They are a total bitch to remove.Thats they way I've done them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

you sure they're express anchors? I thought they were only to be used in mass concrete..

if they are - I'd agree to cut them with the grinder. Usually the hole is drilled a bit deeper than normal so you may be able to tap it into the hole a little more and you could fill the hole with cement or somethin to hide the damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

Normally if you hit them on the side thats open, and then back again once or twice they break off flush. Be very surprised if any damage would be done to brickwork doing this. If you don't have a small grinder you could leave a nasty mark on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

you sure they're express anchors? I thought they were only to be used in mass concrete..

if they are - I'd agree to cut them with the grinder. Usually the hole is drilled a bit deeper than normal so you may be able to tap it into the hole a little more and you could fill the hole with cement or somethin to hide the damage

Yeah - They are express anchors alright. I can't understand why they were used just to put up a bookshelf.

All: Thanks for the advice. On second thoughts - a hacksaw will be less likely to damage the brick. Will then try tapping the remainder further into the hole as The_Bullman suggested & fill with a timber plug.

Why a timber plug? Coz the house (160 years old) is full of them. They're on the chimneybreasts, window arches, you name it. Handy for hanging pictures & the like without damaging the brickwork.

Advertisement