Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap/Safe 4x4

Options
  • 06-02-2007 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Folks I'm moving to the Wicklow Mountains soon and im looking for some ideas on a jeep/car to get me and my family around safely esp in icy conditions like today.

My budget is 16k inc trade in. It has to be fairly economical as I'll be doing 60 miles per day to and from work, and safe as I'll be collecting the kids on the way home, and reliable.

I was thinking of a forester but they sound thirsty ? with the above mileage (60 per day) would I be mad to even consider it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The only thing that significantly increases your safety in icy conditions is careful driving !

A 4WD will keep traction that bit longer in slippery conditions, that's true ...but when it goes, it goes on all four wheels which can be very scary and difficult to control.
    A lot of people also tend to drive that bit faster with a 4WD in difficult conditions, negating the small safety margin it actually gives.

The one thing that will really increase your safety in cold and wintery conditions are proper winter or snow tyres. They have a softer rubber compound and a saw-tooth profile which really digs into the road in cold conditions.

My advice would be ... buy the car that suits you best and invest in a set of winter tyres instead of 4WD technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Very good points, I'm a fairly safe driver so winter tyres might do the trick, do they last long, can you recommend a specific make and model. I'd be happy enough to stick with my current car if that was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

A 4x4 for €16,000 that's safe and economical? That is a tough one.

What about an AWD Volvo or Audi? There's also the Subaru Legacy and Impreza to consider.

Other than that you're talking about an old, mid-90s, Landcruiser or Pajero passenger vehicle.

In any event, try and keep it between the ditches on these cold mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Very good points, I'm a fairly safe driver so winter tyres might do the trick, do they last long, can you recommend a specific make and model. I'd be happy enough to stick with my current car if that was the case.

If you change your tyres every season, you should get 3-4 seasons out of them.
    Difficult to recommend one make, because a lot depends on tyre size. Michelin and Continental usually get good test results.
    Winter tyres are abit of an unknown quantity around here, but do a quick check on eiretyres ..they have test reports with some of the tyres, that should give you an idea.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:

not bad, the wife would be interested in that. dodgy colour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

There isnt really that much of a need for a different car unless you live up in Glenmalure or will be going up the Gap roads fairly often. Otherwise, Wicklow Co Co are always very much on the ball with gritting.
    I wouldnt even think that winter tyres are necessary, good tyres on the other hand are always a good idea.

The new Skoda AWD estate is lovely, but a bit above your budget.

Going to be coming from Rathdrum, I hear the roads ice up fairly quick there as its in a valley..?

I seen a skoda estate AWD recently and its really nice, but way over my budget (its 33k) in two years time I'd say I will look at getting that or something similar (allroad :) ). For the moment I think the winter tyres will do.

# Thanks for the replies folks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

This was the one I was talking about, definitely beyond your budget... Skoda Octavia Scout...

SkodaScout.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

here is a very affordable option. Only thing I don't like about it is the 200bhp remap.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=572582

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

There is a 4wd system on the passats and octavias on some models, but you'll find them hard to get over here. Could be an option. Tyres could be the best bet.
    As one of the posters said, loosing it in 4wd can be scary, but on the other hand a lot of the slippery roads here are just slippery in patches, so there is a good chance that one out of the 4 wheels should find grip.

Yeah the 200bhp octavia would be dodgy, so would the 38,000 miles and 4 owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 XenonMan

Try Nokian winter tyres they are very good(made in Scandinavia) prices are much better then bigger manufactures as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 XenonMan

Try Nokian winter tyres they are very good(made in Scandinavia) prices are much better then bigger manufactures as well.
    Or if you dont want to change the tyres try using all season tyres,its a middle between full winter an full summer tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely a "high" centre of gravity vehicle is less safe for the 90% of the year when there is no ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's cars wit AWD that have much lower centres of gravity than many 2x4 jeeps

such as this which is under budget but private saleA4 Quattro

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Honda HR-V?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Going to be coming from Rathdrum, I hear the roads ice up fairly quick there as its in a valley..?
    Where are you going to be going to/from? If heading to Dublin, all you have to deal with is the road through Glenealy to Rathnew and then you're on HQDC/motorway all the way to Dublin. That's a pretty decent road and not something you'd need a 4x4 for by any means. If you're thinking of taking the Laragh, Sally Gap route over the mountains to the N81 or via Glencree to S. Dublin I'd forget it. Nice for a Sunday drive in the mountains, but you'll quickly get pretty hacked off with it for a regular commute.

Advertisement