Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domain forawrding/pointing

Options
  • 06-02-2007 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi,
    Firstly apologies about the silly questions.

We have a club gaa site hosted by the GAA cms.

But the domain name is too long for promotion

http://<clubname>.<county>.gaa.ie

We would prefer www.<clubname>.ie

The domain is available and i know blacknight are teh cheapest at 45 euor.

But what I need to know is can we still use the free hosted site from teh gaa and point or forward the .ie address to it?

What will appear in the address bar? Will this change when you move links? Can I handle this in html

Also, what way will this work in google. At the moment if you type in our club it is the number 1 result on google. I would like that to be replaced with teh .ie domain, but will this be possible.

Thanks very much for all the help./

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Two options

a) GAA can do a domain forward for you, but requires that they do some configuration etc. They may not want to do this, as it sets a precedence for other clubs to do the same.
    b) Do a hard redirect. Put a 302 redirect in the default page at the root of this server, index.html, index.asp, default.asp whatever. The only problem is, if people have bookmarked any pages in your site further down the hierarchy, they will probably still see those pages.

Do you have much configuration access to your site? Do you have a control panel or something that you use to do config changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could get a forwarder from whoever you register the domain through. So you could promote $clubname.ie in your PR material as opposed to the longer address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

I make the changes through a configuration manager.

Basically it is a very simple online html development tool.

Blacknight,
    That is basically what I am looking for. I guess there is not way to get this top of a google search as there is no html or anything under the .ie domain?

decbuck - a lot will depend on how good the CMS you're using is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

Blacknight,
    just to get this clear.

I can get the www.clubnme.ie domain name,

I can set up a forward to the existing address so I can use the nice domain name for marketing etc.... I there a charge for this forwarding?

And finally,
    about google. Currently the
    http://<clubname>.<county>.gaa.ie is top of google search. But is there a way to get the www.clubname.ie to be recognized by google, or will it be ignored because it effectively has no content and just forwards?

Regards,

• Advertisement

decbuck - I'd recommend you contact our sales department if you have any queries, as this forum isn't really the best place to ask :)

Advertisement