Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

raining here too and yet 12 miles away in Dublin Airport its snowing and its much nearer to the coast than I am, this cud be very localised. Hopefully once the main band gets here it will be heavy and it will be of snow.

Get any pics Tristrame.. ?
    Are you mad,I was wearing slippers :D
    Seriously though its only a 10 min drive from here and there was no way I was getting out of the jeep.
    I'll be back up there tomorrow night with reinforcements and I will take pics then.
    Hopefully the snow will still be there it should be at the rate it was coming down.

Gonzo wrote:
    raining here too and yet 12 miles away in Dublin Airport its snowing and its much nearer to the coast than I am, this cud be very localised. Hopefully once the main band gets here it will be heavy and it will be of snow.
    I'd be fairly confident that you should see snow Gonzo if its falling at Dublin airport.
    Even down here you dont have to go more than a few miles inland without height to get sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Snowbie, just wondering....If it's belting down with snow at Croghan at 800ft, do you think there's a chance that its snowing hard in Howth too, or at least will do when the precip arrives. Being at the sea does not help but its still over 500ft high so should be a good 1c colder than down in Sutton. That 1c could be the difference. Any plans to drive up there this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temperature down to 4c now.. thats about 1c down from 1 hour ago. And the grounds still basically dry.. so.. we need to still chop 2 degrees off .. not looking good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

im beside the airport, no snow here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ever so slight rise in the temp here, now 2.7C.....still raining :(

Well radar at 2245 we see that the real hard precip isnt really into mid Wicklow yet.. just scattered showery rain/sleet above it.

If the temperature can keep decreasing you never know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

hmmmm maybe its an error by the met. Says snow shower on the report.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Well radar at 2245 we see that the real hard precip isnt really into mid Wicklow yet.. just scattered showery rain/sleet above it.

If the temperature can keep decreasing you never know

What time would you expect the main band to hit Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

still raining here in sandyford, reasonably high, near lambs cross. thats nearly 2 hours of heavyish rain. can't see snow sticking here now..

Felixdhc wrote:
    What time would you expect the main band to hit Dublin?
    Around 12/1 but staying with us for quite a while with decreasing temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well temperature was rising here , up to 1.9°C before the first taster came and it fell as snow and temps started dropping.

Fell to 0.2°C in the light front..now back up to 0.3°C in a dry slot with an inch or so of lying snow outside which is pretty nice.

The main event is yet to arrive, everyone thats reported snow or rain so far has reported dropping temps..

Roll on the main front and fun for all and WC garden snow rulers coming into play!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Ever so slight rise in the temp here, now 2.7C.....still raining :(

It's dry here and has been for awhile, ground still saturated though unfortunately

darkman2 wrote:
    hmmmm maybe its an error by the met. Says snow shower on the report.
    The NRA temps at Blanchardstown is 2.5c and Tallagh is even better at 1.6c so snow there is likely.
    The NRA doesnt do dewpoints though.

Blanch wouldnt be far from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts (East)

Been raining for the last two hours now. Temperature feels up around 3/4oC. Windy east. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

theirs hazy rain here and theirs bits of sleet falling down here in coolock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Galway: 5 degrees, heavy winds and rain.
    The *WORST* climate in Europe rumbles again... :mad:

how reliable is the NRA data? the R113 in sanydford is nearest me, but it says 'no recent rainfall' as well as wet road. and it is raining hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

I think i'll just take my sickleave out tomorrow morning and drive up to Croagh Patrick :P

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:
    how reliable is the NRA data? the R113 in sanydford is nearest me, but it says 'no recent rainfall' as well as wet road. and it is raining hard...
    look at the time of the report.
    It's updated hourly.
    Shine a torch into that rain by the way and you will probably see some wet flakes in it.
    Not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Light rain (I think it's only rain) here in north Glasnevin (less than 5km from airport and slightly lower elevation - about 55m as opposed to 85m). My handheld weather gadget (Kestrel) tells me the temp has dropped from 4C to 2.5C in last 2 hours while DP has risen from -2.5C to +1.0C over same period.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Still raining on the sea front in Bray, The winds have increase to strong gusts.

Not sure if we will see snow here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Hmm - snow is melting here now from the ground. Sleet falling from the sky.

Temp is 1.0 and dew point is 0.6.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the main band arrives.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Galway: 5 degrees, heavy winds and rain.
    The *WORST* climate in Europe rumbles again... :mad:

Yea we defo aint gonna get snow that'll stick neway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

highdef wrote:
    Snowbie, just wondering....If it's belting down with snow at Croghan at 800ft, do you think there's a chance that its snowing hard in Howth too, or at least will do when the precip arrives. Being at the sea does not help but its still over 500ft high so should be a good 1c colder than down in Sutton. That 1c could be the difference. Any plans to drive up there this evening?

Well yes planned alright.I have 3.2c and the summit is 0.4c colder up there making it 2.8c.No point in travelling.
    I have a mate in Blessington and he says no snow either.
    My brother out in Kildare has rain.

Tristrame wrote:
    look at the time of the report.
    It's updated hourly.
    Shine a torch into that rain by the way and you will probably see some wet flakes in it.
    Not joking.

i saw the time alright, it has just been updated, air temp now 0.7 on R113 and M50 in sandyford, both still sayit hasn't rained though and it has been raining for a couple of hours. also the road has gone from moist to wet at m50 but with 'no recent rainfall'. Maybe their rainfall
    analysis is poor but everything else good?

Im off for a nap, probably will turn out to be a sleep but i've set my alarm for 130.. cya ya'll later a disappointed wc:o

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Spoke in the last hour to my best man - on the M50 and later near Mullingar. No sign of snow in either place.

Down here near Kinsale we've had heavy rain since mid-afternoon. Winds have increased (prob force7-8). Air temp pretty constant at +5.7c. More chance of sunburn here than snow :eek:

Weather seems to have settled back into the pattern of SW storms we've been having almost constantly since September. This last week and Christmas week have been the only significant break in that pattern. Never know it as windy over such a prolonged period.

On the basis of all this precipitation, someone somewhere is presumably going to get dumped on. Probably Rathlin Island....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Still tipping down here and blowing a gale, and it feels "warmer"

Mike.

Advertisement