Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

Im off for a nap, probably will turn out to be a sleep but i've set my alarm for 130.. cya ya'll later a disappointed wc:o
    You might be interested to know theres a lot of wet flakes in the rain here now which is wierd as the temp is up and the dp is +1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

It would appear the 'main band' of precip has arrived in Carlow, rain.......yes rain, is getting a little heavier, temp holding at 2.7C......just another cold, wet, windy, misserable night out there :( ....oh the pain.

daveym wrote:
    i saw the time alright, it has just been updated, air temp now 0.7 on R113 and M50 in sandyford, both still sayit hasn't rained though and it has been raining for a couple of hours. also the road has gone from moist to wet at m50 but with 'no recent rainfall'. Maybe their rainfall
    analysis is poor but everything else good?
    It's probably the wind.
    The rain isn't actually as heavy as you think it is and the wind is probably blowing most of it over the top of the rain recorder so it would have to be quite heavy to register.
    For instance it is raining here but my rain recorder is showing no rain rate for that very reason.
    My machine will accurately tell what rain has gone into the bucket though-the NRA ones aren't reporting rainfall totals-just if its raining.

By the way they cannot tell snow either, they record it as rainfall if it melts in the collector bucket.
    So many of those NRA reports of light rainfall or medium rainfall when the air temp is below 2c could be rain or snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just drove from the Naas Road to Lucan and back, and all I can say is the rain is only heavy enough for the wipers to be on "intermittent". The ground is quite wet, and no sign of any "wet flakes". Its rain/drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Rain has picked up again in the last half hour, along with strong winds. I can only dream of how much snow would have falling here if it had been colder. Very wet night indeed.

*Is it just me, or does boards.ie seem a bit slow tonight, server issues or something?*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder am i missing the worst of it here in east Mayo. It's just light snow still. Is there a heavier band of snow to come overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just drove home (to Kildare) from Clonmel, it was raining down there from about 2.30 and we had rain (with some sleet at times), as far back as the Kildare side of Portlaoise. Temps varied from 3C leaving to a low of 1C on the road, when we left the rain behind it rose to 3.5C. Still dry here atm at 23.00 with temp of 2.5C, seems too warm for snow too me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hey, I forgot to mention it earlier but the METARs and TAFs are a very useful resource right now. E.g. http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/metar.shtml shows the METAR for any airport in the world. The code for Dublin is EIDW. As of 10.30 pm it was 2 Celcius with 0 Celcius dewpoint and was reporting light rain.

I might take a visit at 3 am but anyway, time to sleep. Best of luck everyone. The Irish team were lucky, and mabye we will get a good run of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Off to bed, don't expect to see any snow when I wake.

Gosh i don't believe this the snow has turned to sleet:(

What are the chances it of turning back to snow?

• Advertisement

3am is a bad time to wake up and tell boards.... Regi puts puppies to sleep at that time, so I've heard.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The rain is turning increasingly sleety here.;)

irish1 wrote:
    Off to bed, don't expect to see any snow when I wake.
    Lol

You might-though in our section this has turned out disappointing.
    The snow level is 800ft including your area.

When I was out earlier on at croghan, there was sleet inland and as I climbed more and more ice on the windscreen and as I got up to the 800ft level turning on the public road towards croghan-a full blizzard-visibility very poor.
    Went up the coillte lane to maybe 1200 ft before it just got scarey-total white out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

lol, board's murky side makes an appearance at about 3.20 am or thereabouts. But hopefully I will be outside making the most of the heavy snow:p, so I will be on boards when Regi does his duty *cough*.

Mind you with the way things are , if I went on at 3.20 I probably wouldn't notice much change in the response time. :-/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Only started raining here now, been pretty much dry until now.

darkman2 wrote:
    The rain is turning increasingly sleety here.;)
    noticed that a half hour ago here too

DP is dropping aswell-now 0.9

lol, board's murky side makes an appearance at about 3.20 am or thereabouts. But hopefully I will be outside making the most of the heavy snow:p, so I will be on boards when Regi does his duty *cough*.

Mind you with the way things are , if I went on at 3.20 I probably wouldn't notice much change in the response time. :-/

;) closer to 3:40 is normally when the boards abattoirs are finished.

Still drizzly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snow turned to sleety rain here...

Bah humbug.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ok, temp is dropping slightly here, 2.3C now.....was 2.5C 5mins back, down from 2.7C earlier and the drops are getting bigger and more 'sleet like' in appearance :)

Longfield wrote:
    Snow turned to sleety rain here...

Bah humbug.

same here.

so does this indicate the milder air has moved in quicker than they forecasted.

would be nothing new if that's the case. :mad:

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:
    noticed that a half hour ago here too

DP is dropping aswell-now 0.9

The only way I can tell though is by looking at my conservatory roof. You would be supprised how useful this can from differentiating sleet from rain.

I really do think we have to wait for the heavier period of precip before giving up.

Dublin Airport down to 2C but with 'light rain'.

Going back to the forecast at 6:55 on TV... Evelyn Cusack did say it was a tussle between the Artic and Atlantic air masses, to see which one will win out.. is it too early to call that the Atlantic air has won?

Sleety rain here when temps should be falling.

Disappointed to say the least, sea leval give up all hope.
    Temps risen from 0.2C to 0.9C now..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

When the heavier precip comes over though surely our chances decrease? Given that the whole snow potential thing was the atlantic lows meeting the "cold :rolleyes: " air?

darkman2 wrote:
    The only way I can tell though is by looking at my conservatory roof. You would be supprised how useful this can from differentiating sleet from rain.
    yeah,here you just check the window facing the east wind and see the icy bits dribbling down it and there are.I was also outside (forgot to close the hen house door :o luckilly the fox knows better than to be out on a night like this :D) and I could see wet flakes swirling down in the rain in the torch light-the wind was howling.
    I really do think we have to wait for the heavier period of precip before giving up.
    Agreed.
    @ longfield, that snow will be back when the heavier band comes through,your dp has probably gone up.

Tristrame wrote:
    I was also outside (forgot to close the hen house door :o luckilly the fox knows better than to be out on a night like this :D) and I could see wet flakes swirling down in the rain in the torch light-the wind was howling.

We are looking for white snow, mate, yellow snow would be a bonus :D

Well, i doubt it's going to going to turn back snow at lower level and even if it does not much will stick at this stage.
    It was a mistake to get my hopes up. Still, at least i saw a bit of snow just not nearly as much as i expected.

Dubliners forget snow,tis not gonna happen.

Not happening much here either,time for bed.

• Advertisement

This is the last non siberian easterly that i'm going to think snow comes from.

Widespread Dublin snow is extint (unless there is a greenland or scandy high with feed from siberia).

Dublin snow is dead, its a memory for the aul lads.

Advertisement