Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Temp 2.1C.....lashing rain, me going to bed, what a freakin' let down, what I'd give to wake up to a blanket of snow :rolleyes: :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Increasingly falling as sleet.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

So its only me staying up for the main event? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Felixdhc wrote:

I admire your optimism :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dissapointing evening, though interesting. Drizzle and mist up to 10pm, then sleet. The sleet is wet snow at 175m. Temps at 1.6c and holding. Unless a 1c drop over the next 2 hours, this will be a write off.

• Advertisement

I admire your optimism :D:D

Feck it, after all this build up I want to at least see the heavy rain and think what could have been :D :rolleyes: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Felixdhc wrote:

I'm here all night, but not solely snow-watching ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

According to The Eagle on RTE Radio.. Tonight will be Mainly Rain.. Temperatures too high etc!

What a Let Down!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

According to The Eagle on RTE Radio.. Tonight will be Mainly Rain.. Temperatures too high etc!

yeah just heard that too. Eagleton's forecast last Sunday was the correct one.

I'm just not going to listen anymore if a significant snow event is forecast for this country.

DMC wrote:
    I'm here all night, but not solely snow-watching ;)

Working with an eye out the window?

• Advertisement

Ah feck, that throws any hope out into the wind and rain. Ah well, maybe next winter :rolleyes:

I said it last winter but didnt do it, I'm booking a break in the snow next winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Longfield wrote:
    This is the last non siberian easterly that i'm going to think snow comes from.

Widespread Dublin snow is extint (unless there is a greenland or scandy high with feed from siberia).

Dublin snow is dead, its a memory for the aul lads.
    Aw cmon your not just realising that now in 2007.

Christ i gave up on these transitional snow events here for a very long time ago here for the coastal areas of the east.
    Hate to admit it but i said this was going to happen here and still saddens me that we still dont get snow unless its freak like last night or a polar low from the northwest and unfortunately this is Dublins only shout to snow fullstop:(

Felixdhc wrote:
    Working with an eye out the window?

Aye, got it in one. Still light drizzle here in on the Naas Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

Bucketing it down here in Skerries now. Just barely getting sleet at this stage. We had more earlier on. I wasn't too hopeful of getting lying snow but I thught we'd at least get some wet snow. Pity :( Will stick it out for another hour or two but none too hopeful at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Even Met ie didnt succumb to the heat off the Irish sea countrywide affecting temps.

Snowbie wrote:
    Even Met ie didnt succumb to the heat off the Irish sea countrywide affecting temps.

In fairness to the met, its better for them to have "it didnt snow" egg on their face than several parts of the country waking to buckets of snow that was not forecast. If it looks marginal but somewhat possible, I guess they forecast it. But I suppose though they were ramping in terms of accumulations etc so semi scrap what I just said :)

Edit - fair few quid wasted I'd say in gritting etc.

Are RTE Weather Reports Pre Recorded?? The reason I ask is that Evelyn Cusacks Late Forecast Contradicts what The Eagle Reported Just 20 minutes beforehand! Late Forecast on RTE 1 still predicting disruption tonight with a high risk of Snow!! :confused:

The late bulletins are pre-recorded, afaik.

Thought So!! :(

Are RTE Weather Reports Pre Recorded?? The reason I ask is that Evelyn Cusacks Late Forecast Contradicts what The Eagle Reported Just 20 minutes beforehand! Late Forecast on RTE 1 still predicting disruption tonight with a high risk of Snow!! :confused:

Given the weather outside and the reports from around the country, I would go with the Eagle.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Advertisement

Temp 1.5c. Heavier precip, right mix of sleet and wet snow.

sandyford NRA reporting 1.1c and heavy rainfall so that could be snow (they record all as rain)

Moderate driving rain with the same sleety mix here.

You have to laugh though really, what was to be potentially the biggest snow event for years in parts has ended up a typical modern winter night in Ireland. Cold, wet and windy. :D

I'm not laughing though :mad:

With 7 hours of darkness still left, how much further, firstly, can the temperatures fall, and secondly, how much do they need to fall?

Gonna stick it out for another hour or so.. If there's no snow by then, I will be going to bed disappointed again!! :mad:

Still raining here in Shankill... I assume this is the main band of precipitation thats causing this rain or is there more to come???

I think the attached image says it all really and we should accept that we will not see snow tonight, or the majority anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thought id say there is doubt creeping into the 'event' in England too. If I had a bet id say our own met wont be the only ones probrably having to give an explanation tomorrow.

Im not disappointed at all really. Its only the 7th of Febuary. Plenty of time yet. At least I got some snow yesterday:D ;)

BTW WC dont worry there will be more opportunities.

darkman2 wrote:
    Thought id say there is doubt creeping into the 'event' in England too. If I had a bet id say our own met wont be the only ones probrably having to give an explanation tomorrow.

Im not disappointed at all really. Its only the 7th of Febuary. Plenty of time yet. At least I got some snow yesterday:D ;)

BTW WC dont worry there will be more opportunities.

On that note, how are the models looking over the coming days? I got so caught up in this event that I wasn't looking past today.

You giving up all hope Darkman??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, in fact heavy snow has been falling here now for the last 40 minutes. Not a bit of it is sticking though. Could be tricky on the roads tomorrow morning if it clears up later on.

Advertisement