Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its been chucking it down rain here for past hour, if I look closely there is the odd bit of sleet in it, I dont expect this to change by the morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Well, in fact heavy snow has been falling here now for the last 40 minutes. Not a bit of it is sticking though. Could be tricky on the roads tomorrow morning if it clears up later on.

Where are you and are you high up:rolleyes:

No im not giving up hope yet because the precip band is tilting in a somewhat unforseen mannor. Its expected to stay further south now and unusually on the beeb just now they said rain for NI but there will be snow south of the border!!! First time ive ever heard a mention of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Its a rare thing since the brown maps came in. Rob McElwee would still mention us if the forecast is long enough ;)

Temp is dropping here
    Now down to 3.2c in moderate sleety rain.

DP still well positive thoug.

Must be crazy snow on croghan now and in that wind too

[Nuts] half tempted to drive up there again [/nuts] :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Turning more to wet snow here, temps holding at 1.5c - ideal temp for snow. :(

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Tristrame wrote:

If I had a jeep I would actually drive out there now, just to see some snow :) Dont think my car would thank me for it though.

Tristrame wrote:
    Temp is dropping here
    Now down to 3.2c in moderate sleety rain.

DP still well positive thoug.

Must be crazy snow on croghan now and in that wind too

#

We could well see some action yet. Irish sea dp -2.5 and its snowing in Wales. Not important you may say but maybe it is in the context of an interesting tilting of the precip which is going to prevent getting into NI. With temps dropping it is not over yet. Dry here atm. 2C.

Danno wrote:
    Turning more to wet snow here, temps holding at 1.5c - ideal temp for snow. :(

Are you saying snow is turning to wet snow or rain is turning to wet snow?:rolleyes:

darkman2 wrote:
    #

We could well see some action yet. Irish sea dp -2.5 and its snowing in Wales. Not important you may say but maybe it is in the context of an interesting tilting of the precip which is going to prevent getting into NI. With temps dropping it is not over yet. Dry here atm. 2C.

I am looking at that too... There looks like a collapse of this band down the west coast, and eastwards across the midlands... perhaps the development of a secondary low along the south coast is responsible?

Sleet here is becoming more wet snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

darkman2 wrote:
    Where are you and are you high up:rolleyes:

Someone isn't getting any snow;)

I'm in Mayo and no i'm not near high ground. I should also have stated it's heavy wet snow. There will be no accumulations... I'm off to bed.

• Advertisement

Temp down again to 1.3c, that is -0.4c in the last 90 minutes.

Almost snow!!!

Dublin Airport gone up to 3c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Still damp with rain just off the Naas Road.

Snowing here now - large flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Rain seems to have died off here... Very boring!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Snowing in Carlow! And it's beginning to stick!

Just so happened I couldn't fall asleep tonight, I'll be staying up for awhile yet!

Good things come to those who wait, eh? Photos coming soon, NiMH batteries are a charging!

Milktrolley - what part of Carlow are you in?

Maybe there is some hope.. might stay awake for another while :D

Dry here now too, hasn't been a drop of rain for about 30 mins or so.

Danno wrote:
    Good things come to those who wait, eh? Photos coming soon, NiMH batteries are a charging!

Milktrolley - what part of Carlow are you in?

Carlow town. It's coming down quite a bit, not too much unlike what you're seeing I'd imagine. I'll try and get some decent photos uploaded, I'm not doing anything tomorrow anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Is there any chance at all or is it all a big dissapoinment.how are the midlands gettting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

nothing here :(

Excuse my obvious lack of knowledge.. Just wondering if temps, dewpoint etc in Dublin are low enough for the possibility of snow before morning?

Temp is falling again, now 1.2c.

Carlow town is due east of me, circa 20-25 miles. This is coming in from a SE direction.

I bet this is the air from Wales hitting in. Even the temps in Rosslare have been dropping along with Kilkenny and Birr. The Radar shows the band buckeling due west of the Wicklow Mountains... Is there a punch of cold air from the east coming in ahead of a developing low in the celtic sea??? The plot thickens (hopefully the snow too!!!) :D

Well I'm waiting for the next met.ie update and if Dublin airport is still showing 3c then I'm off to my leaba, totally defeated. :)

1.1c here now, precip turning light.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

Off to the leaba myself but it's turned quiet in Skerries here.. The heavier rain earlier has stopped and we're back to sleet but at least that's something, its very light though. Feels colder than 3 out here I can tell you! Great to see the lads in Carlow/Kilkenny getting snowed out of it! Hopefuly I'll have something interesting to wake up to!

Photographs here.

Doesn't do the snow justice, but proves that there's hope yet :)

It's beginning to thin out a bit now but it's still there.

EDIT: New photograph (2:10am) added.

Lucky f***:D

Im hoping!

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    Lucky f***:D

Im hoping!

Do you really still think we are in with a chance?

Advertisement