Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote:
    snow is falling extremely heavy now:)
    flakes are around an inch or 2 inchs in size and its starting to settle... this is more like it.. if only we had this from the start and a couple of hours of it we wud be laughin.

yes, if the conditions had been right there could easily have been 6- 10 inches of lying snow in Connacht or perhaps where you are. I guess it's rare that the conditions are perfect. A low dew point allied with a hard frost before it starts snowing is what's needed but sadly most of the time cloud cover and precipitation hearld an increase in the ground temperature that is too much for ideal sticking conditions to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts (East)

Sun. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Went to bed at around 3am with two hours of snow after falling, and it was slowly beginning to stick. This, I'm told, had turned to a light sprinkle by 5am. Woke up to find the ground wet :mad:
    And it's cloudy :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

yes gonzo it's really nice to see all the fields all white now, really stickning here, on grass there's about 2 cm's now. its just a pity that it didn't snow last night, could have woken up to significant amounts. Hopefully we will see more cold weather for rest of feb

Gonzo wrote:
    snow is falling extremely heavy now:)
    flakes are around an inch or 2 inchs in size and its starting to settle... this is more like it.. if only we had this from the start and a couple of hours of it we wud be laughin.
    You'll never complain again Gonzo will you?

Sleet here but you've only to go 2 miles over the road and theres lying snow and snow falling.
    Just go above 500ft or so just 3 miles from here and theres several inches.

1.7c here at the moment with a dp of 0.5 so we are very very close to it.

Mind you it was snowing here at 6am this morning.

Funny at what is usually the warmest point of the day we are having our coldest temp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tom1975

snowing now in IFSC, Dublin 1 after sleety rain all morning

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Wet snow here in Lusk, why did the poxy east wind have to feck things up last night :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Tristrame wrote:
    You'll never complain again Gonzo will you?

lol sorry bout all my moanin its just ive had one dissapointment after another, the snow failing to work out time after time over the past few years but at last today altho there isnt much snow on the ground at least ive seen it fall very heavy more similiar to the showers of the 80s. Its all I needed to see, a decent proper shower of snow which gives the appearance of a whiteout. Have almost an inch of snow on the ground now and its still falling very heavy so im well happy now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Still snowing here. 4 inches now on the patio table.

This looks like it was a very borderline event. Some surfaces are not sticking while others are.

Currently 1.3c here. Any higher and it would be sleet.

Wonder how long it will continue?!!

A

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think theres not much left, the backedge is almost here now and the snow is getting lighter, im just wondering will that very large area of precipitation over the west make it too here and will it fall as snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pretty heavy snow here now, looks like its the back edge of the precipitation though on the radar..then the melt begins :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Didn't last long here (Clonee). Stopped completely and what did stick is quickly turning wet. :(

It has turned back to sleet here must be about to clear.

Right Longfield, time to make your box of snowballs and put them in the freezer.

Can then be used for a shock factor in mid July.

Thats what I did 3 years ago (nutter) !!

A

just a few small flakes now and its already starting to thaw, was pleased with the snow looked great while it fell at its heaviest.

arctictree wrote:
    Right Longfield, time to make your box of snowballs and put them in the freezer.

Can then be used for a shock factor in mid July.

Thats what I did 3 years ago (nutter) !!

A

Lol!!, don't tempt me, am snow mad as it is without doing that!

Currently debating on whether I should go out and make a snowman and ignore the looks my new neighbours would no doubt give me :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Pretty heavy snow here now, looks like its the back edge of the precipitation though on the radar..then the melt begins :(
    Still sleeting here in the south of the county-the air flow has interestingly changed to NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Seems to have changed here in westmeath. Went from almost no snow to a little more and now its hail instead.. well it is falling slower than hail but the flakes look like they are round and are bouncing off my car
    outside.

edit: Just started very heavy snow again

light rain here now and the wind has switched direction.

Petered out and I thought that was it, but picked up in a big way again and temperature dropping (slowly) at last thankfully!

Must be about 4-5 inches on level ground now, a little higher where it probably didnt rise above freezing must have about a foot of it at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Some flakes here, mainly sleet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Longfield an sign of a thaw might take a drive up the hills this evening

irish1 wrote:
    Longfield an sign of a thaw might take a drive up the hills this evening

Has been above freezing all day so thawing all the time, just the snowfall rate is higher!

Its still snowing here and accumulating.
    Went for a walk earlier and the main road is slushy but passable, just take it handy and you should be fine.
    That said definitely wouldn't want to be out on the roads around here tonight unless it was in a landrover type car.

Max temp here today was about 1.4°C so about another 200meters up it probably didn't get above freezing all day so must be massive amounts lying there.

Snow finally stopped here, starting to turn a bit misty now.
    Oh well probably all gone by the morning, was fun while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Longfield wrote:
    Snow finally stopped here, starting to turn a bit misty now.
    Oh well probably all gone by the morning, was fun while it lasted.

Don't think so, theres going to be a helluva frost tonight and more especially over snow covered ground.. you should be expecting some very low temps when the skies clear.

Meanwhile one of the worst 24hrs of my life was capped of by the worst exam i have ever sat, maths paper 1 i probably got 50/300mark.. it was embarrassing:o

Don't think so, theres going to be a helluva frost tonight and more especially over snow covered ground.. you should be expecting some very low temps when the skies clear.

Meanwhile one of the worst 24hrs of my life was capped of by the worst exam i have ever sat, maths paper 1 i probably got 50/300mark.. it was embarrassing:o

Nevermind WC, your mind was no doubt on other things, you'll do far better on the real thing I'm sure.

Your probably right regarding temps, down to 0.6°C now and still loads of snow on the ground, going to be some great icicles in the morning probably.
    Hoping for another shower after it goes below zero to bolster the stuff thats melting now (and get another day off work tomorrow!!) but that's probably unlikely now.

Just back. Had some technical problems with my website (read - licence not paid!)

Interesting stats here. It has been above freezing all day here and hence has been melting all day. As longfield says, its just that it kept snowing hard that has caused the accumulation.

I'd say about half my snow has melted. Higher up I'd say there is some real depth and it should hold for the weekend if we get a good frost tonight.

Temp is hovering above freezing. If it goes below and above, we'll see some interesting affects!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Today actually turned out to be a nice enough day from about 11 am onwards. It dried up nicely and no more rain like yesterday. Had to laugh though, cos back in Dingle i saw the first wintry shower this year, a fairly heavy hail/sleet shower. FFS in Dingle of all places! Didn't last long though

That said looking back towards, the Reeks, they got an almighty amount of snow, couldn't get a good picture as the cloud was starting to roll in over them (another snow shower i guess). They do look very tempting to go hiking up, and if the rugby match wasn't on Sunday, I'd be heading up there. Might go Saturday though.

This thread has turned to be fairly long, i would've thought it would've been culled long ago, in favour of a new one. Didn't get through a few pages, but from reading the last two, it seems that Longfield and Arctic tree, are the ones that did well this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

6 solid hours of snow in Bray today according to the people that don't have school to go to;) but it was alot to late:). Had about an hour of snow in Booterstown and am just back from the wicklow mountains:D (suprise, surprise). I couldn't belive it coming back on the dart with the snow line below Bray head and nearly everything white about 2 miles inland. Snow was just getting heavy again as we left the mountains so maybe longfeild and arctictree will see more yet;) Will post some pics in the pics thread if i got any good ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Was up on Enniskerry today,slushy in the town but further up was alot of snow still on the ground.Pelted down when we were up there and it was freezing compared to the tranquil coastline i live on.Snow stopped and air cleared and the surrounding mountains where a joy to see.Scenery was amazing.

Advertisement