Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Heavy here too and the temp is falling from 1.1c now to 0.9c,dp is an excellent -1.5c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Was just out in it. A stubborn bit of sleet in there too hence its not sticking as much as it should.

Good proper snow here,although it did start out as sleet but has nicely flaked and covering everything.

Still snowing now and when this stops it will freeze.

Temp rising and turned more to sleet now.1.3c dp -0.3c

Its finishing up here with the skies clearing. Should turn colder.

• Advertisement

I have snow/sleet and now hail falling.Its defo hail thats falling.When will this stop,i have to go to bed.:D
    1.1c
    dp -0.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Snowing here in Dublin centre, sticking too, quite heavy

Still light snow here. The fluffy type you may mistake for light hail but its definatley snow. What is on the ground is struggling to stay there because the temp is just above freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

All still clear here in maynooth are we just too far inland to see any snow tonight?So will the gritters be out in force in dublin tonight judgying from the radar there is a nice blob over dublin city at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just rolled over and looked out the window! and wahey:D

Theres a covering of snow! About 1cm thick patchy covering! But first stuck snow in 2 years:D Bring on tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

:mad: Damn...met.ie has been updated this morning and it's going for sleet more than anything else. I hate irelands climate, it must be one of the worlds most depressing, why can't we just get snow once and for all.
    At least feb's longer term outlook is still good:)

EDIT*SORRY WRONG THREAD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

rc28 wrote:
    :mad: Damn...met.ie has been updated this morning and it's going for sleet more than anything else. I hate irelands climate, it must be one of the worlds most depressing, why can't we just get snow once and for all.
    At least feb's longer term outlook is still good:)

EDIT*SORRY WRONG THREAD

rc38 man i really would not worry what the met say tbh.. they mention rain sleet and snow thats all that matters..

There sitting on the fence so much that there trousers are ripping..

Im now very confident looking at this mornings UKM output for snow here tonight.. 80%;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Well the Eagle has just said, it would be a "small miracle" if the midlands DON'T get snow tonight. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Mothman wrote:
    Well the Eagle has just said, it would be a "small miracle" if the midlands DON'T get snow tonight. :D:D:D

G'wan the Eagle!! :D, gonna be an interesting night!!

From 'Metcheck':
    Confidence is now moderate to high that Wales, the Midlands and parts of Southeast England will see a significant snowfall event, with higher ground especially seeing in excess of 15cm of snow. The snow will not be restricted to these parts with Southern regions of Northern England also expected to see snow along with parts of Central and Northern Ireland. Further snow showers are expected across Eastern Scotland and the far Northeast of England.

The link to there warning:
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

Mothman wrote:
    Did he not say "it be a small miracle if we did not see snow tonight" not suggesting anywhere but indicating most places?
    Tis why i was surprised at that indicating here in the east will get some.

Meanwhile just back from the school run and was it trecherous out there.The snow that fell last night frozed solid and was like an ice rink.No more than a cm fell.

All eyes SW for later,will be interesting but i think any snow will be brief unless your on a mountain.

Wet bulb is well below freezing still here which is rare and a good sign.
    I'll be watching that like a halk.
    DP is also -3c.

If those two stay below freezing through today and over night we are in business at this location.

Air temp is still below freezing (just) in the now cloudy conditions here which is an extremely good sign.

2.7c here and stil rising Dp below 0c constantly.
    Now when the wind swings east im anticipating both air and dp to rise more for all the wrong ingredients for snow.But lets hope im wrong.

Rain gauge has measured 1.3mm of melt.Whats the equivalent in cm i wonder?

Now 1.2c and the dp is already rising.
    From a low of -4 at 830am it's now -1.7c

I'm not confident it will stay below -1c which is really whats needed

The wet bulb is now above freezing since its gone all cloudy-that wouldnt want to go above 2c tbh.

We'll see what the figures are like around 8 or 9 pm tonight.
    I'm increasingly thinking sleet for here though.

Snowbie you might want a new thread after 6 as this one is what already at 3 pages.
    The new one could get long fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Just saw that you mention the southwest as possibly getting a bit of snow, especially on higher ground. Just wondering cos the sister and a few from her course in college are gone out hiking in the Reeks today, with the plan to overnight it.

I'm not sure if they have taken into account the possible 'arctic' conditions that could arise though tonight.

I know.This is 3 pages from just a small snow shower last night:eek:

Air temp 3.7c
    DP 0.1c
    Wet 1.9c
    Wind 1 mph SE
    At present,this is disastrous for snow on the coastal fringes.

The only positive is night time cooling but i dont know if the easterly wind will peg back air temp later in night time hours.Unfortunately it is something i have anticipated all along.:(

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Did he not say "it be a small miracle if we did not see snow tonight" not suggesting anywhere but indicating most places?
    Tis why i was surprised at that indicating here in the east will get some.

I'm appalling for remembering quotes, hence only putting small miracle in quotes.

Station record lows last night (1999)

Air -5.5C
    grass -11.9C

Now heading towards 4C with DP above zero.

Will Clones have an ice day?

-5C at 10am.

Snowbie wrote:

The only positive is night time cooling but i dont know if the easterly wind will peg back air temp later in night time hours.Unfortunately it is something i have anticipated all along.:(

Yes but the Irish Sea bouy has a -4C DP at 9am, if that air can hang around for a while..

But has a DP -2.6c at 10am.

Wind has now gained and 3-4 mph direct east and temp is fluctuating 4.0 and 4.1c but dp has sub zero again to -0.4c.
    These are interesting times.

That band of precip from the southwest (allbeit light) is making fast progress, any idea whats falling from it?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

Is that our snow??

Dont know (bloody hope not! :D ), think its a bit early yet. Met Eireann were forecasting light showers in the south west today, with the main band pushing in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's cloudying over here already. I hope this isn't a bad sign. I saw the forecast on Aertel this morning and it said rain and sleet moving northwards with snow on hills

Clouded over here too, rather dull looking but still a good frost down.

Is that our bad boy far out to the south west (the heavy white cloud) in the radar pic below, with the tiner layer over Ireland being that light band of precip currently over munster.

http://www.met.ie/sat/euro-ir.asp

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Looks like it is, moving quicker than we would like? Look at it on the German Met...last update on that is 10am, Germay 1/2 hours ahead?

http://wind.met.fu-berlin.de/cgi-bin/meteosat.cgi?speed=16&count=48&intervall=30&refresh=10&playmode=Endlos

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    But has a DP -2.6c at 10am.

That is a bit of a jump.

It's fluctuating with me as well, currently -1C, air temp 5C.

That sun is quite strong and feels warm out of the light ESE breeze.

Advertisement