Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ah yea it shows what a tropical island we live in doesnt it:o

One day, One day... Although it looks like we'll have to wait yet another year..

Meanwhile to our south a vicious little low is stirring up.. nice on the eye although probably not going to concern us wind wise although it will give some rain to the south.

http://wind.met.fu-berlin.de/cgi-bin/meteosat.cgi?speed=16&count=48&intervall=30&refresh=10&playmode=Endlos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just to give some perspective on this.

In Roundwood, this would be considered a medium level snow event. Roads seem to be clear enough and no significant disruption. From my experience, we get roughly one of these types of events per anum. Some years heavier, some years lighter.

Here's an interesting fact. Before 2004 we would regularly have major power cuts here during snow. This was caused by the cable connections being broken due to the weight of snow on the lines. In the summer of '04 the council installed high tension power lines in most of the Wicklow upland areas. Since then we have had no power cuts during snow. So the powers that be are aware of what can happen and rectified it.

I would hate to think what Dublin would be like if we had snow like this there!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It has become very misty here now with pretty heavy sleet falling. I'd say temperature is at about 2 degrees.

There was a recurrence of the snow as I was walking down my road, the stinging snow grain variety:mad:

There was a dusting of snow beginning to settle at 8.45 am on the road outside my house but as soon as I rounded the corner and go down the road the settling snow vanished. 5 metres of altitude making all the difference:eek:

Heading up to Croghan mt now-this should be fun.
    The snow line starts at sea level just 2 miles from here with about 4 inches at 500ft or so.
    What it's going to be like at 1800ft (the end of the mt lane) I don't know but I'd be surprised if there wasnt a lot of drifting.
    Thats assuming we get to that lane at all.
    The public road to the lane is narrow and mostly 1000ft asl so we will have to tackle that first.

Report back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

arctictree wrote:

In Roundwood, this would be considered a medium level snow event. Roads seem to be clear enough and no significant disruption. From my experience, we get roughly one of these types of events per anum. Some years heavier, some years lighter.

Here's an interesting fact. Before 2004 we would regularly have major power cuts here during snow. This was caused by the cable connections being broken due to the weight of snow on the lines. In the summer of '04 the council installed high tension power lines in most of the Wicklow upland areas. Since then we have had no power cuts during snow. So the powers that be are aware of what can happen and rectified it.

A
    Even when i was up there today it was second nature to the locals,my kids were out of my mpv playing in it.Local kids were starring at us.lol spot the snowless family from the coast.Now the roads where trecherous but i have seen worse even where i live in snowfalls but without the inclines.
    Its a pity i had to drive to find snow but at least its close enough to me to get there and quick.Half hour it took not bad going east link way and through stillorgan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

arctictree wrote:

A

This post fills me with joy :D

I haven't seen snow like today since the 80's, to think that its a yearly event..well I made the right choice moving here :D

I did have two power cuts today, but they were like interruptions, power died for a couple of seconds then came back on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Tristrame wrote:
    Heading up to Croghan mt now-this should be fun.

I bet it will be, probably over a foot of snow up there now!!

Take care !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Snowbie wrote:
    Even when i was up there today it was second nature to the locals,my kids were out of my mpv playing in it.Local kids were starring at us.lol spot the snowless family from the coast.Now the roads where trecherous but i have seen worse even where i live in snowfalls but without the inclines.
    Its a pity i had to drive to find snow but at least its close enough to me to get there and quick.Half hour it took not bad going east link way and through stillorgan.

Good stuff, that's what its all about.

There was kids sledging around here and having a great time, brought back brilliant childhood memories.
    Every kid should get to throw snowballs, sled and make a snowman, stuff like that is what makes it fun to be alive!!

Longfield wrote:
    Good stuff, that's what its all about.

There was kids sledging around here and having a great time, brought back brilliant childhood memories.
    Every kid should get to throw snowballs, sled and make a snowman, stuff like that is what makes it fun to be alive!!
    Unfortunately went too late,we pick them up from school and headed down.I would have gone to and old spot earlier like glencree but time and light would have been against us.
    The mems it brought back been up there of the snow was super that i was peed i had to leave.My two eldest are 8 and 6 and they never saw snow like this before which is totally sad.I was delighted for them.:)

Yours and artictree snaps should be on christmas cards.Great snaps.Digi camera is broke so i had to use a fun snap cam:o

Longfield wrote:
    This post fills me with joy :D

Ha - maybe we'll get another one this year!! Although you're only allowed one snow day off work!

Snow depth currently at 3 inches, melted a bit from earlier.

I have posted some late pics on the pics thread.

Snowbie - I hope you approve of my snow depth measurement technique!!

Funny weather image on my weather station:

http://www.arctictree.com/weather

Light ice pellets?? Is that because the dew point is above 0?

A

• Advertisement

lol measuring tape.Works doesnt it.

Correct,Flat surface is needed.Nice depth was it 3.5 inches in total you got.

Snowbie wrote:
    lol measuring tape.Works doesnt it.

Correct,Flat surface is needed.Nice depth was it 3.5 inches in total you got.

Yes, maxed at about 3.5 inches. Currently 3.

Was above zero all day so I'd say there is a ton more at altitude. I'm at 250M. I'd say above 500 there could be from 6 to 12 inches. Maybe Tristrame will confirm later!!

BTW - Is it just me or does it sound so much better measuring snow depth in inches? cm just doesn't have the same ring to it....

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Photo of Killeshin here.

Wicklow gets the best snow! I remember Bray getting smothered before St. Patrick's Day last year. I was there a day earlier, of course.

Great photos arctictree and Longfield, looks like Bavaria at this time of year!

Well I'm just back from Croghan.
    Wow is all I can say.
    We got about half way up the mountain lane when the jeep would go no further ! There was a turn and a big incline and the wheels just spun and spun :(
    Easily 10 inches with drifts knee deep and more and that was at about 1200ft or so.
    We took a few photos including me up to my knee's in it.
    At one stage,I slipped into a trench that was totally filled, that was waist deep.

Anyhow pictures in a couple of days,it wasnt my camera so @ll be waiting on getting the.l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

Did anyone in the midlands or high parts get thunder-snow?

Wicklow Mtns could get a few snow flurries today

Tonight see's more cold rain spreading north with temperatures of around 2-3c :(

Drove to Dublin this morning. Some amount of snow on the Wicklow mountains. 8 to 12 inches I'd say.

The thaw yesterday evening had frozen over. Icicles everywhere outside my house and the minor roads where treacherous. Lucky I had my 4 wheel drive!!

A

arctictree wrote:
    Drove to Dublin this morning. Some amount of snow on the Wicklow mountains. 8 to 12 inches I'd say.
    Oh I'd guess above 18 inches on Lug as where we were on croghan there was close to a foot and that was only at about 1200ft.
    We would have had to walk a mile or more to get to the top and that wasn't an option in the dark.
    We usually meet the snow there at the 1500ft level on that lane and we were well below that and had knee deep drifts.If it was daylight I'd have ventured further off the lane where there was serious drifting maybe a couple of feet going on the waist deep stuff in the trenches beside the lane.
    Theres probably going to be more snow up there today above a 1000ft if whats on the radar fringing the coast comes inland a bit which I think it will.
    Temp here is only 2.8c but the dew is too high at nearly 2c as is the wet bulb but perfect above 800ft I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Artictree and Longfield, ye two lucky feckers! Ye robbed all the snow, kept it for yourselfs and then made us feel bad all day with your delightful tales and reports :D:D.....thats your quota of snow for the year!

Seriously though, the photos were amazing guys, I dont know whether it was the snow that made everything look surreal, but ye seem to live in a lovely part of the country, really excellent snaps, I enjoyed looking at them.

Well done guys! ;)

Artictree and Longfield, ye two lucky feckers! Ye robbed all the snow, kept it for yourselfs and then made us feel bad all day with your delightful tales and reports :D:D.....thats your quota of snow for the year!

Seriously though, the photos were amazing guys, I dont know whether it was the snow that made everything look surreal, but ye seem to live in a lovely part of the country, really excellent snaps, I enjoyed looking at them.

Well done guys! ;)

Ha! - No problem.

Took some more pics this morning. I'll upload them later.

Hopefully this snow will hang around for the weekend!!

A

• Advertisement

Well England are getting a Surprise snowfall today.. of course we arent! We never get snow! But shows what 100 miles can do..

Heavy snow in walls causing lots od disruption and moving into England now. :rolleyes:

Lovely view on the webcam:

http://www.arctictree.com/weather

Wonder if we'll get more snow tonight. From met.ie:

"Cold this evening and tonight with some frost in the midlands, east and north at first. However, rain in the southwest will spread slowly northeastwards during the evening and overnight turning to sleet in places and with a risk of snow on higher ground. Winds will become moderate to fresh southeast to east with lowest temperatures of -1 to +4 Celsius. "

Would be a nice bonus!!

A

Your dew point at 3.6c would mean rain artictree so all your snow should be gone by tomorrow.The air source contains high dp's so no chance of that falling even if the temp dips temporarally.
    There may be some transient snow above 1500ft though and another plastering for lugnaquilla.

Lets see what happens when the sun goes down later. If there is any snow still lying and there are clear skies, there should be a large drop in temperature. After that, who knows!

I'd say over 500M will get another dollop later. Perfect for you snow hunters at the weekend!

A

Well England are getting a Surprise snowfall today.. of course we arent! We never get snow! But shows what 100 miles can do..

Heavy snow in walls causing lots od disruption and moving into England now. :rolleyes:

Wales and around the Birmingham area are getting a real plastering alright.
    As for me saying last week about being joined to Wales (only in landmass)Dublin dead central land locked with no sea to worry about,imagine all that snow we would have gettin WC and twice as much snow falling for the two highlanders.:eek:
    Twas a nice thought.

Yesterday up there in Enniskerry,i forgot to mention the snow melt flood coming down the road in the town and just up the road from the town.Must be some lake in a field by now as i saw no drainage.And then just further up the road everything in a solid state still.The GPS was showing an altitude of 200meters and i got to 225meters and snow remained.Its gas the change in height and temp in very little distance can make a huge difference.I think Enniskerry altitude was 175meters with little snow left.

Look at the couple of inches of snow thats fallen here,its on after the add.

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?clip=5415&nav=84&collection=topstory&from=wxcenter_video

Surprised to see the amount of snow on the ground here today after coming home from work.
    Some job clearing the snow from the car going in though - have frozen into a 2 inch thick layer of concrete by morning.

Temperature here currently 1.7°C and dropping slowly, this is colder than when the snow started on Wednesday night, hoping for maybe some more tonight (though logic says its unlikely, doesnt hurt to wish it were so!!).

Those lucky w*****s in Wales and England - getting an unexpected second dose and from the looks a bloody potent dose at that..ah well..all very reminiscent of the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Of the snow that is falling on the high mountains, how long would ye expect it to last, before it starts melting away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

Snowbie wrote:
    Wales and around the Birmingham area are getting a real plastering alright.
    As for me saying last week about being joined to Wales (only in landmass)Dublin dead central land locked with no sea to worry about,imagine all that snow we would have gettin WC and twice as much snow falling for the two highlanders.:eek:
    It is a nice thought but then of course the Vikings would've never founded Dublin there in the first place. ;) Humans have this annoying habit of founding major settlements on coasts (or rivers with outlets to the sea).

But if there was some sort of land bridge or isthmus (say it with a lisp) to the south connecting Ireland and the UK that might work wonders. If the conditions are right water can amplify a snow event. The effect of the Irish Sea might be more helpful than harmful then. You see it at times in the East Baltic ... Gdansk, St. Petersburg, etc. the water will generate large snowfalls ... assuming large parts of the East Baltic hadn't frozen over yet. In America it's the lake effect snows from the Great Lakes ... and to punctuate the point I have come across this just now ... Lake effect squalls last few days

• Advertisement

Best thing to do is find a house or plot of land about 600 metres up and build /buy there.

Snow every year, at least for the next 20 or so if global warming continues.

I wonder if the heather and bogs higher up are going to vanish and become green and fertile in the future.

If someone offered me land in the like of Sally Gap with planning permission , I'd build there in a second !!

Anyhow, hope tonight isnt a washout everywhere, would quite like to go trekking tomorrow and get some more pictures.

Advertisement