Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think if East of Ireland was land locked to wales we wud be better off weatherise, for a starters it wud be colder in the winters during cold spells increasing any chances of snow but more importantly it would mean much warmer weather in the summer I think, our heatwaves would yield similar temperatures to those that are achieved in central and maybe even southeastern England at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Gonzo wrote:
    I think if East of Ireland was land locked to wales we wud be better off weatherise, for a starters it wud be colder in the winters during cold spells increasing any chances of snow but more importantly it would mean much warmer weather in the summer I think, our heatwaves would yield similar temperatures to those that are achieved in central and maybe even southeastern England at times.
    My point exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

You're speaking of conjoining Ireland and Engerland. We've gone mental!

That's what snow can do to you. ;)

Longfield wrote:
    Best thing to do is find a house or plot of land about 600 metres up and build /buy there.

Snow every year, at least for the next 20 or so if global warming continues.

I wonder if the heather and bogs higher up are going to vanish and become green and fertile in the future.

If someone offered me land in the like of Sally Gap with planning permission , I'd build there in a second !!

Anyhow, hope tonight isnt a washout everywhere, would quite like to go trekking tomorrow and get some more pictures.
    Was looking on myhome.ie last night out of interest and gaffs around the enniskerry and glencree area where 1.5 odd million.Plots of land for sale too.It got cheaper as you moved southwards through wicklow.Aughrim 350000 for example for 3 bed bungallo
    There is also one in annamoe for sale.Love to have a winter home up in the mtns for sure.

Lirange wrote:
    You're speaking of conjoining Ireland and Engerland. We've gone mental!

That's what snow can do to you. ;)
    Nah just for winter.We'll push them back away again in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

Should just wedge Iceland between the two islands. A buffer is needed. Not a complete landmass though ... a small waterway in between so that we can keep our ports. Moreover, I can probably manage to stomach Björk more than Charlotte and Tom Jones ... if only just ;)

Or we can just switch places with Iceland. Their summers are as warm anyway.

Two decades ago none of these wistful thoughts were necessary. Infernal warming. When do scientists think the upwelling will start hampering the conveyor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at least the global warming is starting to give us half decent summers now tho. Wont be long before the trips to Spain etc wont seem so essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Currently 0.9°C here and still falling slowly, am rather suprised, was expecting it to rise or at least stabilise before the front in the south reached here.
    Maybe just maybe we could get dumped on here again like the lucky brits accross the pond today.

Walking outside there is still the drip drip of my lovely snow melting though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote:
    at least the global warming is starting to give us half decent summers now tho. Wont be long before the trips to Spain etc wont seem so essential.
    Global Warming has only increased our temperatures by around .7c so the net affects during the summer are much less visible than during knife edge snow events in winter where such a fraction is crucial.

So i do not believe the recent rise in good summers can be directly attributed to global warming just general patterns..

All weather events and lack of snows cannot be attributed just to global warming, obviously global warming does affect the patterns but there are much bigger driving forces in our weather than GW, which can conteract its effects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Hard to imagine that it is snowing over in the UK, and has snowed fairly heavily above in wicklow and places, cos its so damn windy and wet out there now.
    Cold enough too (not cold enough for sneachta though) . currently at 3.7c and pressure is 991.58 mb and dropping slowly.

Hopefully there'll be some left up on the mountains

• Advertisement

All weather events and lack of snows cannot be attributed just to global warming, obviously global warming does affect the patterns but there are much bigger driving forces in our weather than GW, which can conteract its effects
    Yep the Irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

temp dropping here, 4.9C now with a dp of 1.0C. No good for snow here but i reckon longfield and arctictree probably have a fairly good chance of getting another dumping. Not got any hope for here but maybe a last minnute change could bring us something:rolleyes:. I'd say even a bit further inland has a chance as long as you're away from the coast even if it is just transisional

Snowbie wrote:
    Was looking on myhome.ie last night out of interest and gaffs around the enniskerry and glencree area where 1.5 odd million.Plots of land for sale too.It got cheaper as you moved southwards through wicklow.Aughrim 350000 for example for 3 bed bungallo
    There is also one in annamoe for sale.Love to have a winter home up in the mtns for sure.

I love living here no question, but would prefer to own a 365 home here to live in.

Have come to the conclusion that I missed the boat in the Irish property market and will never own here (where I want to live)..am currently saving for a place in the Alps to retire to.

Some day...

For the next few years, heres to the snow!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote:
    I love living here no question, but would prefer to own a 365 home here to live in.

Have come to the conclusion that I missed the boat in the Irish property market and will never own here (where I want to live)..am currently saving for a place in the Alps to retire to.

Some day...

For the next few years, heres to the snow!!

Ha! - My neighbour has just put her house up for sale:

http://www3.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=303463&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

This is at exactly 295 meters.

1.5M though - a bit pricey!!

Anyway, could get a borderline event here. Currently 1.5c but dewpoint is +0.9.

Above 4 or 500 meters will definitley get more I'd say. Lets see what happens!!

A

Looks like its fizzling out as it moves east.

To be honest I wish it rained and removed all the snow rather than the slow drip drip which is torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Danno wrote:

Ok, I was about to go to bed............but now I see this! I'm reading 3.6C here now though, is it set to get colder all of a sudden??

lol go to bed lads.Dp too high

Snowbie wrote:
    There is a nice cottage for sale on the public road near croghan.It's 1000ft asl and had a mighty amount of snow last night-a good 6 inches there.It has commanding views out over the Irish sea.
    Sites at the back of croghan mt are going for about a 100k to 150 k maybe less but those are in more isolated areas.
    The East side of Croghan is a 10 minute drive in non snowy conditions to the N11,so only an hour from south Dublin.
    I was in Rathdrum tonight, theres still some lying snow there even,the fields are still white there.

Snowed again last night, but very wet snow (massive flakes) with some rain mixed in.
    Above 400 metres or so must be obscene amounts of the stuff lying.

Still about an inch or so on the ground here and the backroads are a total slushy mess.

Tristrame that sounds interesting, will have to take a drive down there and have a look around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

So eemmm..........whens the next snow event? :p Tis just that I have to make a window in my busy schedule for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So eemmm..........whens the next snow event? :p Tis just that I have to make a window in my busy schedule for it ;)
    Looks like next winter at this moment...

But i have a sneaking suspicion we'll have the usual late Feb early March cold spell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Doesn't look like anything for the next 10 days at least.....

Who knows after that but the window is starting to close for a significant event. Although Feb 28th '01 was an event with more snow than last week here.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Looking through the GFS system, the next blast looks like a northerly beginning in a little under two weeks time. Nothing "exceptionally" mild on the way either between now and then.
    February could end up being quite an average month which is unusual in modern times with month after month of 1 to 2c above average ones coming along on a conveyor belt!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Advertisement