Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tristrame wrote:
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW72-21.GIF

Tonight might only be the start of the fun :p

Sorry for going more than 24hrs there,I promise the rest of that will be in the appropriate thread.

Meantime,its still dry here but precip is very very near,its going to be rain I'd say :(

Ah the real front wont be with you for a few hours yet so we will see then ;)

irish1 wrote:
    Just missed that attachment Tristrame any chance of another 5 mins? Please
    Don't worry Irish1,you are assured at least 3 to 6 inches and maybe more.
    I wouldn't advise driving tomorrow in those circumstances,twud be insane.

Speaking of insane,I'm heading up to croghan mt in a few hours.I doubt I'll get within 2 or 3 miles of the gate if I leave it any later.

I'll only post back with a precip report from here,its near now.

3.7c is a bit hot though :/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Just looking at the following satellite image -

http://wind.met.fu-berlin.de/cgi-bin/meteosat.cgi?speed=16&count=48&intervall=30&refresh=10&playmode=Endlos

Is it moving quicker than originally thought? It looks to me as if it would pass over any one area within about 2 hours??? Also, is it now less organised?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Temp down to 3C now and starting to spit light snow/hail again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I'll be driving from Leixlip to Portlaoise at 5am - not looking forward to that, hopefully the motorway won't be too bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You really think I will see between 3 and 6 inches? That could be a real problem old man has an appointement in dublin he can't miss, I want snow real bad but I have to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Radio said sally gap was blocked, true??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its blowing a gale and peeing down here in Waterford, no chance of snow.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Temp of 3.2C here in Carlow town with an increasingly strong easterly thated cut through you..........oh, and just had a very brief snow shower, very light, fine stuff, but pure snow, no rain at all. Gone very dark here now.

Second that! Not too dark on this side of town though for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

That'll be the duff trough.. although the real stuff won't be too long.. round 9pm i reckon. maybe 8pm ;)

That would be great, the boys would love it if there was snow all round in the morning!

Mind you, so would I! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

just rain down here in Kerry, no sleet or nothiing, Temp is still about 4.5c
    and pressure of 985 and still falling ... The mountains have disappeared in the clouds so can't even see if there's anything high up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Temp back up to 4.0c as wind really picks up now off the sea direction.
    0% confidence of snow falling/sticking here.Temp going the wrong way for a start.The typical transitional snow for the coast is the traditional rain.
    WC prepare to be dissappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's snowing here!!!:D

just started five minutes ago!

It's snowing here!!!:D

just started five minutes ago!
    Where is 'here'? :p

Snowbie wrote:
    0% confidence of snow falling/sticking here.Temp going the wrong way for a start.The typical transitional snow for the coast is the traditional rain.

Perhaps your being abit rash Snowbie!:D

The snow won't be in Dublin for a good 5 hours.. the actual band is hard to make out on the radar.. because of the muck band in front of it but its just pushing into Wexford now and will slow down. Temperatures were expected to be 4c at 18z in the east and down to 1c by 0z and 0/1c by 06z ;)

Calm down snowbie.... deep breathing... i know we are close to something we havent seen in a long time and it is a time for lots of questions and doubts because of all that has went wrong in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mayo:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Where is 'here'? :p

Was about to ask the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snowbie wrote:

Wouldn't give up just yet Snowbie, I'd expect rain first followed by sleet then snow as the precip gets heavier, I'm expecting a tumultuous night tonight as depression turns to hope and maybe by 12:00-01:00 joy!!

Here I'm expecting drizzle for a while, then sleet then snow.
    I'm a good bit further south than you and its still falling but very slowly, I expect the precip to take it the final bit lower. Maybe thats a hopecast rather than a forecast but I reckon its in with a shout.

Doesnt look so good for southern coastal areas though - Tristrame may be close to the southern limit.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This is one time in my life I do not want snow.

I'm working overnight in west Dublin, and I don't want to be hampered around 7am tomorrow morning going home.... Some people will be going yippee yippee yay as they can't get to work, I want to be able to get home!

I love snow, and I hope we have loads of it, but timing is less than perfect.

I'll be able to give reports from there all night, though :)

Hey artictree, I noticed on the way home that there was very little variation in temperatures along the way (unlike usual - where Roundwood villiage for example is normally about 0.5-1.5°C warmer than the immediate surrounding countryside).
    This tells me very little radiative cooling going on - and interestingly i'm currently reading 1.4°C which is the same as you according to your website which is good for comparison purposes.

Hope you have the camera batteries on charge!!, I've stocked up (on essentials like beer) as imho we might have a fair bit of the white stuff on the ground until Sunday :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Well Met Eireann are really pumping it up now as are the Met Office in the UK.... i bet there pooing themselves!! Imagine if it all went t*ts up:eek:

Early jitters so far.. And remember folks we have an Ireland match to watch tonight aswell!:eek: ;)

DMC wrote:

I'll be able to give reports from there all night, though :)

Thats the spirit DMC ;)

EDIT: very light rain/drizzle here now, temp seems to be sitting on 2.9/3C for the past hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Just charged up the camera, will have pictures if and when the snow arrives!! Hope theres something to take a picture of... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just been out and about and tbh aside from windchill it does not seems cold enough for snow. Hope im wrong and temps fall over the next hour or two but my confidence has diminished slightly id have to say.

sleety rain falling.

3.8c

DP -1c

Perhaps your being abit rash Snowbie!:D

The snow won't be in Dublin for a good 5 hours.. the actual band is hard to make out on the radar.. because of the muck band in front of it but its just pushing into Wexford now and will slow down. Temperatures were expected to be 4c at 18z in the east and down to 1c by 0z and 0/1c by 06z ;)

Calm down snowbie.... deep breathing... i know we are close to something we havent seen in a long time and it is a time for lots of questions and doubts because of all that has went wrong in the past!
    I do admire your passion and enthusiasm on the topic but i think you still have a lot to learn.I was exuberant when it came to snow or the potential only to be let down time and time again and well before your time too ,i have learnt alot young fellow along the way and have seen this situation so many times before crumble for us on the coast and i have more of a chance than you as im a bit further away from the hot water bottle.You might get the ususal cars and roofs covered but thats it.

Of course im calm,i have always said this to be fair.
    Anyway if a miracles to happen let it be tonight.

Longfield wrote:
    Wouldn't give up just yet Snowbie, I'd expect rain first followed by sleet then snow as the precip gets heavier, I'm expecting a tumultuous night tonight as depression turns to hope and maybe by 12:00-01:00 joy!!

Here I'm expecting drizzle for a while, then sleet then snow.
    I'm a good bit further south than you and its still falling but very slowly, I expect the precip to take it the final bit lower. Maybe thats a hopecast rather than a forecast but I reckon its in with a shout.

Doesnt look so good for southern coastal areas though - Tristrame may be close to the southern limit.
    You will have snow from the start Longfield-stop kidding yourself.
    It's actually snowing 3 miles inland from here and at 600ft elevation.
    I got an attack of the Danno and started phoning around...

So thats a confirmed snow at the same elevation as you about 20 miles south of you.

Yea im less confident now myself.. can't see much snow coming near the coast unless temperatures drop :(

Oh dear 4.2c and rising dp subzero but irrelevant now.

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:
    sleety rain falling.

3.8c

DP -1c

Tristrame, whats happening with your temps, are they trending up or down now that the precip has arrived?

Advertisement