Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snowbie wrote:
    Oh dear 4.2c and rising dp subzero but irrelevant now.
    :( Ah well at least we tried... will post back after dinner hopefully we'll see the temperatures curving downard if only slightly.. ho hum:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yea im less confident now myself.. can't see much snow coming near the coast unless temperatures drop :(
    You will have to wake up and smell the coffee mate.That wind off the sea never helped,never will help unless in an extreme easterly thats from a true origin(siberia) and even then ingredients have to be perfect.This was over before it began im sorry to say.

It's snowing here!!!:D

just started five minutes ago!
    That would be down in Kerry I think of all places.

Anyhow,I'll report back later-presently its sleety rain here-by that I mean light rain with a few flakes blowing in the wind.
    That might change with heavier precip.

:( Ah well at least we tried... will post back after dinner hopefully we'll see the temperatures curving downard if only slightly.. ho hum:(

Just want to mention this by no means rules out snow for locations 10 or so miles from the coast.. just not looking good for use coastal people:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Raining here and I'm at altitude.

• Advertisement

Longfield wrote:
    Tristrame, whats happening with your temps, are they trending up or down now that the precip has arrived?
    Temp has stayed the exact same since the precip arrived.

Don't worry,I'm wholy confident you will have snow-you aren't used to the high ground climate yet and besides its snowing at your elevation closer to the sea down here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie wrote:
    You will have to wake up and smell the coffee mate.That wind off the sea never helped,never will help unless in an extreme easterly thats from a true origin(siberia) and even then ingredients have to be perfect.This was over before it began im sorry to say.

TBH I think you would be very foolish to rule out snow anywhere tonight. In fact one thing seems to have gone unnoticed is that the precip looks to be moving off - shore as opposed to onshore. Also the forcast is rain and sleet turning to snow so lets not get ahead of ourselves until at least midnight.

Snowbie wrote:
    Yea.. the winds are pushing in milder air from the sea.. gona stay at 4c till the early hours when the wind eases.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tristrame wrote:
    You will have snow from the start Longfield-stop kidding yourself.
    It's actually snowing 3 miles inland from here and at 600ft elevation.
    I got an attack of the Danno and started phoning around...

So thats a confirmed snow at the same elevation as you about 20 miles south of you.

Temps have risen here to 1.7°C now from 1.4°C when I got home about an hour ago....
    I'm on tenderhooks to say the least.

I'm at 206 meteres according to Google earth and seven miles inland...jaysus I hope this doesnt turn into another 500 meter event :(

Don't think so..just the first dispair stage..soon to be followed by hope and then joy (I hope!!)

Edit now 1.8°C ..entering exasperation country!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

darkman2 wrote:
    TBH I think you would be very foolish to rule out snow anywhere tonight. In fact one thing seems to have gone unnoticed is that the precip looks to be moving off - shore as opposed to onshore. Also the forcast is rain and sleet turning to snow so lets not get ahead of ourselves until at least midnight.
    Who said im ruling out snow anywhere,i have always said the coast if you read my posts.Midlands will do well with this from Offaly Northwards,these will do best

• Advertisement

Whooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Just started lightly snowing!!
    Bloomin temp better stop rising now!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Still raining here, allbeit light rain.........but still, rain :o

Temp dropped back to 1.7°C whch is the first drop in an hour - taking huge positive from this - is very very light snow outside and seems to be enough to already start lowering temps..keep up the faith lads!!

Pics later if it gets heavier

plain old rain now totally
    Dew point has gone above zero.

Thats it curtains for snow tonight
    It's gas though the air temp is dropping now...

Longfield wrote:
    I'm at 206 meteres according to Google earth and seven miles inland...jaysus I hope this doesnt turn into another 500 meter event
    Longfield your temps are correct for your height taken my elevation and temp into account.
    I said over and over again in this thread that 1.5c is the max for snow to settle with the obvious dp remaining below freezing which should be no problem.I be still confident you will see some snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Met Eireann's Dublin forecast for tonight:
    Rain and sleet overnight. Low of -1 degrees.

That did say snow before the 18.00 update :(

Oh well, another 'last-minute-fall-apart' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I live right by Dublin Airport, is there a realtime weather update for it I can get on the net?

Just fekc it anyway really like ya couldn't write the script, well ya actually could that is the sad thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Last night's Kilkenny readings showed air temperatures dropping to -6 and ground temperatures dropping to -13 :eek:

"High risk times between now and dawn", according to Evelyn Cusack. "It's a high danger time."
    Well Met Eireann are really pumping it up now as are the Met Office in the UK

That's what I'd call pumping it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

4.9C and rising:mad: :( :mad: . My vp2 is still forecasting snow here though:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

WOW! What a forecast from Evelyn! - Go on ya good Laois lass!

Right - here is my sypnosis:

Currently Mist/Ice Drizzle. This is the anaprop that we have been seen earlier on the radar being pushing down by the strengthning wind. Gusting here now.
    The main snow band is in Munster only. It still has not managed to get past the N7 around Nenagh and further west of the N62 around Thurles.
    Temperatures ARE dropping, was 3.7c max here, now 2.1c. Wind is picking up around 30 miles ahead of the band. The winds mostly E at the moment will back SE in the 30 mile zone ahead of the front, then back E or slightly ENE within the band...

This is gonna get going really after midnight. The white zone on Evelyns forcast will be lying snow at 6am. I feel though that she has progressed it up the west coast (into Donegal) a bit far. The longer this SE to E gale keeps blowing, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Danno wrote:
    WOW! What a forecast from Evelyn! - Go on ya good Laois lass!

Right - here is my sypnosis:

Currently Mist/Ice Drizzle. This is the anaprop that we have been seen earlier on the radar being pushing down by the strengthning wind. Gusting here now.
    The main snow band is in Munster only. It still has not managed to get past the N7 around Nenagh and further west of the N62 around Thurles.
    Temperatures ARE dropping, was 3.7c max here, now 2.1c. Wind is picking up around 30 miles ahead of the band. The winds mostly E at the moment will back SE in the 30 mile zone ahead of the front, then back E or slightly ENE within the band...
    Stop that;)

trogdor wrote:
    4.9C and rising:mad: :( :mad: . My vp2 is still forecasting snow here though:confused:
    Yes same temp here..

Our only prayer is that the wind dies down before the precip arrives which is possible ;)

:o

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

What a feckin let down, I think the evening weather confirmed that us lot on the east coast will just have to keep dreaming about our snow :mad:

Danno wrote:
    I feel though that she has progressed it up the west coast (into Donegal) a bit far. The longer this SE to E gale keeps blowing, the better.
    Lol you feel though...
    Even the UKMO have weather warnings out now for snow in NI.
    Keep up ;)

East wind gusting above 20mph now
    Temp 3.3c but with the dp above 0

Should be a fairly heavy nights rain here.

I'll be out in the jeep from about 830 and I'll report back as I'm heading to the high ground.

Although i have just sat down and taken a close look at the UKM mesosc;e 12z prediction.. now.. it has the band pretty much down to a tee. It had temps for 7pm of 3/4c in the Dublin, region, with rain reaching Arklow by around 6pm which is correct. Then at 1am the band was just reaching Dublin but by 1am they had temps back to 2c and 3c in Arklwow.. and by 7am they had temps back to 1c/0c in Dublin and 2c in Arklow..

Basically this is as the low slips north the gales will abate as the real precip apprpaches allowing temperature to dip..

Now im still expecting rain/sleet but all is not lost.. :)

Tristrame wrote:
    Lol you feel though...
    Even the UKMO have weather warnings out now for snow in NI.
    Keep up ;)

East wind gusting above 20mph now
    Temp 3.3c but with the dp above 0

Should be a fairly heavy nights rain here.

I'll be out in the jeep from about 830 and I'll report back as I'm heading to the high ground.

Is it actually raining now in Arklow though? Just wondering..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Temp has dropped here over the past 30mins or so, from 3C to 2.5C, still raining though.

Thanks for that forecast Danno, sounds interesting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Here in Monasterevin its 1.6c up from 1.4 an hour ago. No sign of rain/snow but overcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Guys, You're making me dizzy!! :D Maybe we should just wait and see what happens.

I didn't catch the Six-One Weather, Did they say the East Coast would escape?? :rolleyes:

Advertisement