Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Falling or Snow Potential within 24hrs only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Is the rain heavy Croppyboy?

Just informed the parents who has been ramped up on the way home not to expect snow in the morning... it hurt:eek: :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Not particularly heavy WC, no, more a heavy drizzle/light rain......still enough to wet you though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Heavy Drizzle in Tullow, I'm loosing faith in snow quick, Tristrame do you still think I will get 3cm to 6cm's??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Guys, You're making me dizzy!! :D Maybe we should just wait and see what happens.

I didn't catch the Six-One Weather, Did they say the East Coast would escape?? :rolleyes:

Just the fringes. Otherwise the east is "high risk", like most of the country. The video will be online shortly.

Enjoy the match :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Well it is slashing down rain here right now, and since 4 pm this evening. Started off slow enough, and i thought i might see a bit of sleet. Not a chance, temp is at a steady 6.0c most of the day, and there is a strong gale blowing.
    The only places that might see snow tonight here in Kerry are the Reeks and possibly mt. Brandon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I wonder what the position is if you're 9.5 miles from the east coast :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

4.4c and dry,just cloudy out there.

irish1 wrote:
    Heavy Drizzle in Tullow, I'm loosing faith in snow quick, Tristrame do you still think I will get 3cm to 6cm's??

Irish i think we need to take a wee breather.. real band wont reach you until 1-3 hours time.. temps should drop back abit.. but iffy ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I gather from this evenings weather on 6.01 that you would need to be a good 30 miles + from the coast, could be wrong though

Snowbie wrote:
    4.4c and dry,just cloudy out there.
    Temp will stay steady drop of to 3.2c by around 11pm..rain will arrive... drop to
    around 2.0c... thats what my thoughts are.

• Advertisement

http://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=holiday&jaar=2007&maand=02&uur=20&minuut=15&dag=07&id=23464911&bliksem=0

You can see the outline of the proper band here and then the guff band dying out. although giving some snow to the far west..

Its just moving into Carklow/South Wicklow ;)

Temp will stay steady drop of to 3.2c by around 11pm..rain will arrive... drop to
    around 2.0c... thats what my thoughts are.

Would 2c with low enough DP not give us snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ground will be too wet for any snow to stick though imo, but you are right WC we need to take a break and wait and see it either will or won't happen now.

Felixdhc wrote:
    Would 2c with low enough DP not give us snow?

Yes 2c and DP of -1c should give snow

Preferbly 1.4c though ;) or there abouts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's a very dissapointing start and the 6.55 pm forecast was a real downer. I live on the border between where Evelyn Cusack had a high risk of snow mentioned and where the coast would escape the snow.

I've thought about it and I think we will only get sleet as even though I'm at 145 metres above sea level, I'm 7 miles away from the sea at it's closest point to the NE and also ESE. Only seven miles of land for the wind to cross and I think the lapse rates will be poor as there will be a pretty stiff breeze which will help mix the warmer sea level air with the air above. I think my forecastfox bar for tomorrow looks fairly accurate:( Sleet.

The fact that there is still no reports of even sleet in the main front leads me to think that the cold air is not really undercutting the front but is rather blowing parallel to it. This is probably a consequence of the slack pressure gradients across Ireland before the front arrived, keeping the temps a little higher then we would have wanted. Of course the wind will pick up when we don't want it to:rolleyes:

Edit: The distance from the coast factor is certainly evident on the NRA road weather information table. Tallaght is 1.6 degrees colder than Dublin Airport.

DP at M2 has risen to -1.9 from I think a couple of hours ago about -3. Slipping away from us yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I'm a big kid at heart and would love to see some 80's style snow, even if it's gone as quick as it arrived. However, being based in Swords, Nth County Dublin only a few miles from the coast, it looks like I'll be missing out. :mad:

A slight wind here now, but dry as a bone out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Temp 2.3C here and still raining, getting a little heavier now. But then I heard my aunt say yesterday that the snow in '82 was preceeded by rain, I guess there was a very different setup in 82 though.

Heres the newsclip from the 6-1 news about the 'severe' weather for those who missed it:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0207/6news_av.html?2217080,null,230

And the weather forecast:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0207/6news_av.html?2217122,null,230

The temperatures almost 5c out there now:mad:

I want the wind to stop NOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

The Six-One's [URL="rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2007/0207/6news-139023-230.rm"]right here[/URL] guys.
    Scroll to 34:31 for Adrian Lydon's report with woeful sound (a typical RTÉ feck up!) or 56:24 for Evelyn Cusack's forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's fairly breezy now with light snow falling. There is a dusting of it on the ground.
    Hopefully it will get heavier later on. I might have to go for a proper walk then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote:
    Hey artictree, I noticed on the way home that there was very little variation in temperatures along the way (unlike usual - where Roundwood villiage for example is normally about 0.5-1.5°C warmer than the immediate surrounding countryside).
    This tells me very little radiative cooling going on - and interestingly i'm currently reading 1.4°C which is the same as you according to your website which is good for comparison purposes.

Hope you have the camera batteries on charge!!, I've stocked up (on essentials like beer) as imho we might have a fair bit of the white stuff on the ground until Sunday :)

Ha - just got home! Yeah, during precipitation elevation seems to be one of the major factors. Local topography makes a huge diff in frost like conditions but not really when its windy and snowing.

My in/out thermo which I've had for 6 years is currently reading 1.5 deg. That is exactly the temp at which I've got snow in the past. Any higher and it doesn't stick. Hopefully it'll go lower!

Yes, stocked up on the essentials! Keep that ruler handy!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I hope Longfield's current experience may bode well for those of us further north, and a similar distance from the coast. Although height is not on our side here..

*crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Temp has fallen from5.2C to 4.5C over the last few minutes.
    EDIT:just realized why,there's a very light drizzle falling and the dewpoint's up to -0.1C now:(

Is it actually raining now in Arklow though? Just wondering..?
    yup raining.
    3.1c
    dew 0.2c

Wet bulb 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Temp 1.7c. Some snowflakes mixed in the drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hey artictree whats it like there ?

Temp has dropped to 0.4°C and everywhere outside is now white with snow continuing to fall.

To put it mildly I'm happy, my neighbours must think oi'm nuts running outside with my million candlepower torch and shinging it around to check the weather !!

I reckon I'm not going into work tomorrow at this rate!!

Best snow i've seen since the 90's :D:D:D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Temp 2.3C here and still raining, getting a little heavier now. But then I heard my aunt say yesterday that the snow in '82 was preceeded by rain, I guess there was a very different setup in 82 though.
    Only in cork and coastal places of the south including Rosslare.
    It started as snow here.
    That was a much colder event though.
    I dont know the dp's but the air temps that night were below freezing here which aint surprising since the air source was siberia.

Currently our air source is mumbles...

In other news the dewpoint is now up to 1.3c and the rain continues
    The East wind is gusting to 25mph now

Air temp is 3.1c

Heres the newsclip from the 6-1 news about the 'severe' weather for those who missed it:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0207/6news_av.html?2217080,null,230

And the weather forecast:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0207/6news_av.html?2217122,null,230
    Thats what i expected all along croppy.No surprise there with the east.Its that some people have to get their heads around this hot water bottle of a sea beside us never does us any favours in this kinda setup.

this thread is defo one to keep for lets say a learning corner.:D

• Advertisement

4.8c and still dry out there.

Advertisement