Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavalier king charles wanted

Options
  • 06-02-2007 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi,I am looking to adopt a cavalier dog.I have a garden and there will be someone home all day .Must be good with kids.I have registered with cavalier rescue but not sure how long that will take.If you can help me please contact me.Thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

shardylan wrote:
    Must be good with kids.

From my own personal experience and research, that might be a problem (despite what a seller may say).
    They, like westies and a lot of the smaller pure-breeds, tend to bond with a single person and be utterly devoted to that person, sometimes to the point of showing aggression to anyone they feel is getting too much attention from who they see as "theirs".
    A LOT of people buy them thinking they are cute cuddly low-maintainance dogs, this is most certainly not the case.
    They are higher maintainance than 90% of mixed-breed dogs and can be very prone to various medical problems and VERY possessive.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 animalhelper

hiya,
    im just wondering have you checked www.petsireland.invisionzone.com?
    they have an old king charles cross on it that needs a foster home at least, you will then know if a king charles is the right breed for you and your familys pet??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

What area do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I have heard a lot of different things about cavies, and have met quite a few and tbh, i have come across one bad tempered one. Not saying that your wrong FF, but just in my experience they seem to be very good with kids etc, and just sit there all day wagging their tails. I completely agree about health problems and such but we all know that if dogs are insured that can help greatly as they can have their pet treated and not worry too much about cost, which is, i find, the main reason why they get in poor health. People just canot afford to pay the bills so they are very slow at bringing them to the vets!

If you are looking for a dog, go to the pounds/DSPCA or the petsireland website. I totally think that people should stop buying dogs and try to help a dog that needs a home already!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Hi everyone ,Just want to say thanks for advice ,I appreciate it.Any dog i get will have insurance to cover any health issues that will arise and i have been keeping an eye on all rescue websites just in case.The Cavalier on pets ireland is in need of an experienced owner so that would not really apply to me ,sadly.Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I bought a King Charles pup at Christmas and she is adorable. She loves everyone especially kids. I agree though, they are quite high maintenance, potty training can be tough but its all worth it !

I bought ours from Patricia at cute-pups.com. Very friendly and helpful lady and her kennels were spotless. HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bustershark

From my own personal experience and research, that might be a problem (despite what a seller may say).
    They, like westies and a lot of the smaller pure-breeds, tend to bond with a single person and be utterly devoted to that person, sometimes to the point of showing aggression to anyone they feel is getting too much attention from who they see as "theirs".
    A LOT of people buy them thinking they are cute cuddly low-maintainance dogs, this is most certainly not the case.
    They are higher maintainance than 90% of mixed-breed dogs and can be very prone to various medical problems and VERY possessive.

B

Whilst I agree that CKCS can be high maintenance and are prone to health issues, they are notoriously GOOD with children and you would be hard pressed to find an aggressive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Keep an eye on urgent matters on petsireland.com

Hopefully something will come up for you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Theres a thread further down with a Cav looking for a home

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Im sorted thanks everyone:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement