Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Phone line for Broadband

Options
  • 06-02-2007 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Im moving into a new house and thought ordering a phoneline and broadband from €ircom would have been straight forward. I placed an order on their website on Jan 8th, received the order number etc.. Rang them yesterday to get an update on the order to be told it wouldn't be installed till 2008 :eek: They were giving me crap about planning permission etc... but yet the house is prewired, there is a copper pair in the hall, and the neighbours have all gotten phone lines put in within a few weeks. Now is it true that they only have to provide a phone line within 12 months? If so, there is nothing I can do to speed it up?

Thought it was bad enough for people trying to get broadband on their existing lines, but not being able to get a line put in within a reasonable period sounds more like Iraq than Ireland....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is correct to say they have a year to install a line so Comreg will do nothing. email the boss who is ' traditionally ' name.surname@eircom.ie to escalate the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Am gonna do that Spongebob.. Funny though, as I got the "Welcome to €ircom" pack in the post today! Its great the way they can have a year to provide u with a line.. imagine the esb or bord gais telling you to wait a year before they put power / heating in your house for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 morningstars

"Funny though, as I got the "Welcome to €ircom" pack in the post today! "

You'll probably get your first bill next week......

:rolleyes:

M

The fact that there is no line will not necessarily stop them from billing you . Stranger things have happened , did you plug in a phone to see if there is any of th'oul dialtone there ???

did the pack mention a phone number or an account reference number ( the 8 digit UAN) ????

yeah, had a look at the welcome pack, has a customer service agreement form thingy.. basically has the 8 digit account number on it and looking for cheque for installation charge. Im gonna fill it in and send them a cheque to see what happens.

Cant plug in a phone, basically, the copper cable terminates in a standard uncovered wall box. From speaking to neighbours, all the engineer done when he arrived, was wire up the cables and stick the eircom front on it and then plugged in a phone.

• Advertisement

your house is "precabled" lynchie so that install charge is €0 until the end of March or if you order by end March , you only pay the install charge if they have to run a cable on your property . ring them again to confirm that .

see.

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

and then send them a pro forma cheque for €0 for the crack if they supplied a prepaid envelope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Why do people thing because some builders wired some phone points in the house that its a simple task of just flicking a switch? :)

if i had a penny for everytime i hear that per day...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Sponge Bob wrote:
    and then send them a pro forma cheque for €0 for the crack if they supplied a prepaid envelope :D
    OH PLEASE DO THAT OP!!! That would be soooo funny!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

your house is pre wired, INTERNALLY most likely, they still need planning permission in theory to dig up the ground outside to connect you to the telephone lines ( or if the lines in your area are still strunf across masts thats probably not an issue )

It requires planning permission of some sort ( as its more utility works, as opposed to private structures ) and id imagine they have a maximum of 12 months whereby the work will be completed. Although i think that in reality its only a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

general waiting time for brand new lines to be connected are 6-8 weeks, i would question why its taking a year really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 noelbadrian

JNive wrote:
    your house is pre wired, INTERNALLY most likely, they still need planning permission in theory to dig up the ground outside to connect you to the telephone lines ( or if the lines in your area are still strunf across masts thats probably not an issue )

It requires planning permission of some sort ( as its more utility works, as opposed to private structures ) and id imagine they have a maximum of 12 months whereby the work will be completed. Although i think that in reality its only a few months.
    If their cables are underground and on the opposite side of the road to your property, you also have to get PP and permits etc. from the council to dig up the road and lay the cable under it (or a duct for it) to the white box on the exterior of your building that your electrician fitted for you.
    Noel

not really , they can install a pole , or 2 poles. They have statutory rights of way to do so.

Was gonna wait till I heard back from their CS staff before posting this but...

Was up at the new house last Saturday morning, when an eircom van pulled up.. Thinking it was just somebody who lived in the estate. Anyway two engineers get out and start wiring up the trunk of cables in the shore outside :eek: . Went down to them and had a chat with them. Long story short, they wired and tested my eircom box in the house and done one of the other neighbours too. The wiring was all in place from the exchange to the outside of the house. They just had to wire the correct pair from my house into the trunk.

So chatting away to the engineer, told him about the 1yr installation date and he laughed it off. He said all cabling was in place and it didnt require digging up roads etc... He did said they were up to their eyes... was the first time they had worked on a Saturday for a long time.. So he said my line was working, and to expect a letter from them soon with tel number etc... Havent been back up to the house yet, so ill bring a handset with me to test it when I go up this weekend. Didn't take them long to cash me cheque either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if the wiring was in place then you are fine, as only 'connecting up' is required as opposed to laying new line.

Should be up and running within 2 weeks id say, maybe sooner

Advertisement