Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St.Patrick Street Advertising

Options
  • 06-02-2007 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I think it's fair to say that the newly designed St. Patrick Street is a job well done. And Grand Parade does seem to be making some progress along the same route.
    Although controversial, the new Pitmit and Flannery lamps on both streets are, I think a very welcome addition and something we havent seen in Irish streetscapes so far.
    But, I wonder did Beth Gali envision the lamps as advertising hoardings all year round? Now, in fairness we've seen them used mostly for festival advertising up until this point (Cork 2005, Film Festival, St.Patrick's day, etc.) and they add to the celebrations somewhat.
    They are now being used to promote the study of engineering! Is this a slippery slope? Will they be advertising Coca cola and Mackydees next?

I've no problem with the festival advertising and I've no problem with commercial advertising in general (but not on the lamps), but aren't we entitled to see them as the designer intended for at least some part of the year?
    And shouldn't the city council remove the out of date ones before they become an eyesore, i.e. the Christmas ones?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

well spotted mr t.there are more on the western rd and the straight rd that could do with a seeing to . corpo should show good example to other business and tidy as they go. i see the politicos are hanging the posters already. is there a time limit on these as they have no intention of taking them down before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

They're alright, I s'pose, unless you're a 6ft2in blind person with a cane walking through them and suddenly you belt your nut against the apex join.
    Why are the (lamp-posts ?) 15 foot higher on the left-hand-side of the street - as you travel northside along Patrick St - than on the right hand side? It gives an unbalanced aspect to the lighting system.

The advertising, as long as it is strictly non-commercial, is okay by me. The banners are tasteful and colourful and do add a sense of celebration. Banners and flags seem to be de-riguer now in advertising. Have a look down Winthrop St from Brown Thomas -- it's like a scene set from Kagemusha or Rashomon.

On the subject of lighting, repairs are long overdue on the lamps on Patrick's Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

And shouldn't the city council remove the out of date ones before they become an eyesore, i.e. the Christmas ones?

I know its slightly off topic but have you noticed that there are still a fair smattering of Cork 2005 posters or signs up around the place? Major one I've seen is the bus station, they're all over the place... There should be some council law / initiative to remove all these old advertisements when they go out of date...

Advertisement