Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and Babies

Options
  • 06-02-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

We've just found out my wife is pregnant. We have two cats and I was wondering if anybody here has introduced a baby to their cat(s).

One of our cats in particular doesn't really like kids (as in the toddler age group) as she was treated badly by kids before we got her from the rescue. She doesn't get aggressive as far as I see, just hides.

I know there is lots of stuff on the net about this but I'd prefer any 'integration' tips from people here.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a I-am-considering-getting-rid-of-the-cats post. We would never consider that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I don't know anything about cats, but congratulations!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

First of all congratulations!!!
    Make sure your wife stays away from cleaning up any cat poo as it can be harmful to tsome old wives' tales about cats and babies, one of which is that a cat will smother a baby because it gets jealous. I don't believe a cat would intentionally do this but it's common sense not to leave an animal unattended with a baby. What can happen is the cat sees the nice warm baby in the cot and decides to get in beside the baby for warmth, if the cat lies in front of the baby's face this could smother the baby. My cat does this all the time when I'm in bed, she gets up on top of me, I can push her off but a baby can't.

Aside from this my mother is a childminder and has taken on newborn babies to mind sometimes, our cats generally just ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Glowing wrote:
    I don't know anything about cats, but congratulations!! :)
    Nala wrote:
    First of all congratulations!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Congrats again;) ;)

I'd say that when you bring home the baby the cats will become accustomed to the new smell and sounds over a short length of time, I'm sure there won't be any problem for the cats adjusting....

I have heard that tale of the cat lying on a baby and causing suffocation, I don't know how true it is, but I wouldn't leave the baby and the cats alone together as you never know...and cats do love warm places to snuggle up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Congratulations too!

I've got 3 cats now, had 2 when had the baby, spoilt rotten so they are. Summer birth so we started preparing the cats to be outside a bit more (very small house) before the birth, and did up a shed for them as well, so it wouldnt feel like a punishment and the baby was the cause of it.

Bring home some vests and babygrows that the baby has worn before the baby arrives home and let them smell. Its funny but they are really curious! and investigative.

I did get a insect net in mothercare too, just in case they managed to sneak past me, but really they were great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Congrats to you!!

Would have to agree with general views onthis thread so far, a lot of old wives tales going around. A lot of women who have been around cats will have built up a natural protection against certain things ie toxoplasmosis, but always to be on the safe side you can be the cleaner of the tray for a while! Also cats do relate to smells as well as sight so bringing home a dirty vest or blanket is a great idea. All of my family have pets, and not just one each, i totally pick the wrong profession to go into, and some have babies too, and then get on just fine!

http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/525_cats_and_babies.pdf

Some great advice here!

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thanks folks!

Advertisement