Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland starting 11 for tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

you can see it as moaning, but i think i have a right to have expectations on how the irish team performs.

ireland have consistantly underperformed over the last 10 years.

in fact, they are the spurs of world football. great on their day. pants on a bad day, and consistantly inconsistant.

seriously, who loses 5-2 to cypress?

we have done ok, when you take into account the players we have and have had in the past

and we lost to cyprus.

tell us then, what are your expectations on how they perform?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

my expectations are higher. i think ireland as a footballing nation have gone backwards. in 1990 we played to our strengths. we hoofed the ball, and the tall fella knocked it down to the shorter fella, and sometimes we scored.
    and we made damn sure that no one else scored.

these days, i cant even see what irelands strengths are. apart from given in goal who is one of the best keepers in the world, our defence looks shoddy and weak. our midfield looks average at best, and disjointed most of the time, and up front we have robbie keane who can only score in a one on one with a keeper if its a penalty.

we have installed a manager who has the less tactical nouse than i do, and the whole FAI organisation is a laughing stock. our grass roots football is non existant, and im failing to see what the FAI are doing to encourage the national league.

so yeah, my expectations are that our national football team should be better.

but they arent. theyre alright. they are only alright. journeymen.

why are your expectations so low? are you used to nearly making it? are you happy with being 'plucky irish' who just dont seem to go the distance, but suure, dont we put on a good show? are you happy that we have a clown as a manager?

if you are, then good. youre expectations are not very high. mine are a lot higher. and i guess i will remain disappointed until it changes.
    and beating san marino 7-0 tonight is not going to change that. if ireland didnt turn up until half time, san marino would still be 2-1 down at half time.

im curious to know what the reaction would be tomorrow if it were a 1-0 win or worse, a 2-1 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

im curious to know what the reaction would be tomorrow if it were a 1-0 win or worse, a 2-1 win.

The re-action would be played poor but got the 3 points know time for the welsh!
    I would gladly take playing piss poor for the next 3 games and having 9 points out of 9 by the end of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

woodyg wrote:
    The re-action would be played poor but got the 3 points know time for the welsh!
    I would gladly take playing piss poor for the next 3 games and having 9 points out of 9 by the end of them.
    You are having a laugh yeah?

If Ireland win 2-1 Staunton will be slaughtered on here, in the media, and rightfully so.

Ireland will win 3-0 tonight. One of them will be a penalty.

It'll be a shít game, San Marino will put eleven behind the ball, and we won't be able to break them down. As usual.

I have expectations of the Irish national team. I expect them to play badly. I expect to be bored out of my tree watching them playing. I expect captain Robbie Keane to spend the match moaning at the ref. I expect us to win tonight, but we won't be destroying San marino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

my expectations are higher. i think ireland as a footballing nation have gone backwards. in 1990 we played to our strengths. we hoofed the ball, and the tall fella knocked it down to the shorter fella, and sometimes we scored.
    and we made damn sure that no one else scored.

these days, i cant even see what irelands strengths are. apart from given in goal who is one of the best keepers in the world, our defence looks shoddy and weak. our midfield looks average at best, and disjointed most of the time, and up front we have robbie keane who can only score in a one on one with a keeper if its a penalty.

we have installed a manager who has the less tactical nouse than i do, and the whole FAI organisation is a laughing stock. our grass roots football is non existant, and im failing to see what the FAI are doing to encourage the national league.

so yeah, my expectations are that our national football team should be better.

but they arent. theyre alright. they are only alright. journeymen.

why are your expectations so low? are you used to nearly making it? are you happy with being 'plucky irish' who just dont seem to go the distance, but suure, dont we put on a good show? are you happy that we have a clown as a manager?

if you are, then good. youre expectations are not very high. mine are a lot higher. and i guess i will remain disappointed until it changes.
    and beating san marino 7-0 tonight is not going to change that. if ireland didnt turn up until half time, san marino would still be 2-1 down at half time.

where did i say my expectations are low?

where did i say i was happy with being the plucky Irish?

it is not the managers fault that the players we have are not good enough.
    Our captain does not start for his club.
    Our best midfielder is constantly injured and does not perform well on international level
    Our best defender is good but prone to major mistakes

i expect our team to play well when we have the players available to us. In the WC2002 i expected more because we had a better team, even without keane.

however, in the current climate, i do not expect as much. We have a very inexperienced manager with some very inexperienced players.

What are you expecting? They are going to lose matches.

People expect us to always be winning and always do well, as the media are always on the backs of the team and the manager.

It wont happen, you have to be realistic and see that the team is poor and inexperienced at the minute and still stick by it.

woodyg wrote:

If Ireland win 2-1 Staunton will be slaughtered on here, in the media, and rightfully so.

It'll be a shít game, San Marino will put eleven behind the ball, and we won't be able to break them down. As usual.

I have expectations of the Irish national team. I expect them to play badly. I expect to be bored out of my tree watching them playing. I expect captain Robbie Keane to spend the match moaning at the ref. I expect us to win tonight, but we won't be destroying San marino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

seansouth wrote:

Seems seansouth really wants to hammer these points home!
    By the way that Bow wow wow bit under your username. Anything to do with a Shaggy B Side circa 1993?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

event wrote:
    It wont happen, you have to be realistic and see that the team is poor and inexperienced at the minute and still stick by it.

i am realistic, and i do stick by the team.

but thinking that we should be better, and having a high expectation, are not the same as not supporting your team.

the team is more than just 11 players and a manager.

the players arent world beaters.

the manager isnt a division 4 beater.

the back office wouldnt make it running a conference side.

those are the realities

Pighead wrote:
    By the way that Bow wow wow bit under your username. Anything to do with a Shaggy B Side circa 1993?
    :confused:

Nope

http://www.patleck.com/lyrics/drdre/thechronic.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

seansouth wrote:

Phew for a minute there I thought I was agreeing with a guy who loved the B Side to Oh Carolina by the washed up rapper Shaggy! Normality is restored.
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/shaggy/bowwowwow.html

Eh so yeah 3-0 tonight then.

Pighead wrote:
    Phew for a minute there I thought I was agreeing with a guy who loved the B Side to Oh Carolina by the washed up rapper Shaggy! Normality is restored.
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/shaggy/bowwowwow.html
    :eek:
    I remember the A-Side alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    I have expectations of the Irish national team. I expect them to play badly. I expect to be bored out of my tree watching them playing.
    tbh I can't say I can ever remember being bored watching Ireland in a competitive. Frustrated yes but I'd never get bored. It doesn't matter how poor we play, it could be a 0-0 with no shots on goal but it wouldn't matter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Roy Keane: "Anyone that says there's no easy games in football anymore are talking rubbish. San Marino are shocking"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

I'm gonna go with 5-0 and be optimistic with Long scoring 2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

is that a long shot?

*leaves under a veil of darkness*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

eirebhoy wrote:
    Roy Keane: "Anyone that says there's no easy games in football anymore are talking rubbish. San Marino are shocking"

:D

haha, legend of a quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

This looks like a match being played at the RSC. For more than one reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

it looks like we suck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Any chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Christ,this is bad.Nearly half time and haven't troubled their goalie.I have faith in Stephen Ireland......but...Keane and Duff anonymous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Kilbane wallops it over

Brian Kerr: *Thats...thats a miss... a miss*

Obviously ya twat, Master monotone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

0-0.Half-time.Totally bereft of ideas and passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What a shambles! The booes should of been louder.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

quite shocking stuff from ireland wtf are they at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kilbane wallops it over

Brian Kerr: *Thats...thats a miss... a miss*

Obviously ya twat, Master monotone
    I think what he meant was that it wasn't a half chance it was a clear cut oppertunity to score.

Been very fustrating so far. Might have to eat my words, as an Ireland supporter that's something I'm very used to at this stage. Mind you, I still think we'll bag a few in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

we if we by 1 or 2 goals, lose or draw then stans job has to be considered in the morning......actually y wait till then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Shocking stuff! No creativity there really and dreadful finishing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

"it can't get any more worse" hehe, and he's paid to be on television!

Terrible performance so far. The minimum ireland should be expecting out of this match is 2-0 and thats still pretty bad. Not to have scored (or even looked like scoring and dominating) in 45 minutes against a team thats probably lower quality then when the lads just play in a practice matchs at training is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

You think the match couldn't get any worse but having to listen to Kerr and Welsh is painful. Talk about stateing the obvious.

To be fair to San Marino every time we attack they've 10 player in the box but wouldn't you if you were in the doldrums (sp?) of international football.

I'm finding myself flicking over to the England match. Some class entertainment on show there even tho it still 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mcshane on for o'shea - stupid, just stupid decision....

• Advertisement

kilbane, 0-1

Call_me_al wrote:
    mcshane on for o'shea - stupid, just stupid decision....
    now to be fair he took a knock

oh,and ireland 1 up,kilbane

yeah but to replace a central defender with a central defender is pointless in this game. Why have 4 defenders to mind noone? Should have taken off O Shea and put on another striker or midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

thats what happens when mcshane comes on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

An insipid performance, lacking in any passion. There is no plan and no leadership - either on the pitch or from the bench. I really can't think of any valid excuse for that half time result. We hardly troubled the keeper, we were unable to connect with any of the crosses and, for all the the possession, there was a total lack of invention against a team of amateurs. I reckon this will be another 2/3 nil victory - scored mostly at the death - and all will (sort of) be forgotten.

Why, in the name of all that is good in this world, is Keane our captain. I realise it's only an honorary role, but that guy, with all his cheeky-chappy tricks, dives and selfish play costs as many chances as he creates.

Get rid of Stan; he clearly isn't able to formulate a plan and is devoid in any managerial ability. Added to that, I really love to see the likes of Keane and possibly Duff get dropped just for one match against the 'lesser' teams; they may start playing again.

BAH:mad:

we're basically playing 5 at the back, against a team of this quality is a disgrace...

carsely should come off for an attacking mid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have to laugh at Kilkbane scoring, he got some stick yesterday on radio for even being in the squad.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Kilbane is an easy target for the ole ole brigade. Im sure its because they cant remeber the other players names.

Anyway, great game, solid team performance full of gusto and pride. High tempo from 2 teams who really are up for this........................oh....wait :rolleyes:

For me, this is as bad as the Cyprus game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Kerr is living up to his Gift Grub persona describing seeing Stokes as an under 12 player!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Omg Lol!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

1:1 . bloody hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Right! Sack him now.

oh god....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

FFS Henderson. You just have to laugh.

GOAL FOR SAN MARINO!!! Funniest conceded goal ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Oh my God!!! First qualifying goal since 1998. The only you can do is laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Slan leat Stan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Joke!

• Advertisement
Advertisement