Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a scam?

• 06-02-2007 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭

Is this happening to anyone else? Is it a scam?

Once a day for the last 4-5 days I've gotten a call on my mobile phone (02 network) from a number that displays as "Unknown". When I answer, there's 20 seconds of total silence, followed by a computer noise (kinda like the noise you hear if you get a new email in Lotus Notes etc). It seems to be some sort of automated dialer, it doesn't sound like there's anybody at the other end at all.

If I don't answer the call it doesn't go through to my voicemail.

I read something on the Web about a UK marketing company using this tactic as some sort of scam, but I can't figure out what the scam is as I can't even call back the number...

Thanks
    B

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Could be someone trying to dial up to the net aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Just donot answer private calls for a few days.It might be some sort of a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Might be worth ringing O2 to see if they can check the number or might have heard of it, or so they can block it maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If it doesn't stop within a day or so, I'll get on to 02 customer care, give them the times the calls come in at and see if they can block it... it's a weird one. I'd understand if it left a garbled message which encouraged you to ring back, but this makes no sense to me...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

odyssey06 wrote:
    If it doesn't stop within a day or so, I'll get on to 02 customer care, give them the times the calls come in at and see if they can block it... it's a weird one. I'd understand if it left a garbled message which encouraged you to ring back, but this makes no sense to me...
    O2 won't block it for you. Report it to them, but don't expect anything more than them to take a report.

Then go down to the Garda station and report it to them, the people who can do something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement