Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to run win 98 cd on win xp

• 06-02-2007 5:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

not sure where this thread should go, so mods feel free to move.

i have a learn how to play piano hits cd, that i used to run on my win 98. havnt played it in ears obviosly,,. it has the requirments of win95 or win 98. so wont seem to load on win xp. there must be a way???

any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ask the tech geeks (who were unable to help me with my problem, but that's another story).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Package wrote:
    not sure where this thread should go, so mods feel free to move.

i have a learn how to play piano hits cd, that i used to run on my win 98. havnt played it in ears obviosly,,. it has the requirments of win95 or win 98. so wont seem to load on win xp. there must be a way???

any help?

Xp has a 'compatability mode' which is supposed to help with programs that no longer run on XP for various reasons.
    If the Cd runs from an .exe file, you can right click on it, click properties, then select the compatability Tab, Check the 'Run this program in compatability mode for' tickbox and the select Win 98 from the drop down.
    Hit Apply, then try and run the .exe again.

I don't know how well this will work, but it's worth a shot. After that.. well i can think of a few things, but they involved a seperate Win98 partition and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

You would actually be surprised how well that compatibilty thing works.. ive tried it before on a number of programs which worked without a hitch..as thelordofcheese said you will need to find the exe file that executes when you put in the disc and set compatibilty for windows 98.. if you cannot see the exe extension go into tools - options inside any folder and go to the view tab, untick hide extenstions for known file types and press okay.. then if you go to my computer and right click on the cd and press open or explore you should see a file ending in .exe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

ab_cork wrote:
    You would actually be surprised how well that compatibilty thing works.. ive tried it before on a number of programs which worked without a hitch..as thelordofcheese said you will need to find the exe file that executes when you put in the disc and set compatibilty for windows 98.. if you cannot see the exe extension go into tools - options inside any folder and go to the view tab, untick hide extenstions for known file types and press okay.. then if you go to my computer and right click on the cd and press open or explore you should see a file ending in .exe

partition your disk and install windows 98 on it? or maybe there are 98 emulators out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

*head desk*

The simple way is right click and run it in "compatibilty mode". It has generally always worked for me no problem. Or maybe look for a newer version of the program in question, seems like an *awfully* old CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Or... you could use VMWARE or Parallells and set up a virtual machine based on Win98. And run your software in that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Perhaps the vendors have issued an XP patch, remember XP is six years old almost so on the grand scale of things its not as old as it would seem.

Advertisement