Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XXXHolic

Options
  • 06-02-2007 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Has anyone checked this one out yet? Its an older series from clamp but highly recommend it, best series ive seen in a while, specially if you wanna watch an anime series where the plot doesnt involve fighting or battling of some sort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Meant to be pretty good alright. Deserves a lot more attention than the mess that was Tsubasa.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Weren't they written at the same time, and yeah, XXXholic is far superior to any of the rest of Clamps recent manga.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Tsubasa wasnt a mess...just was more fairly tale-ish then their other stuff. Two characters from Tsubasa are in XXXholic, a white version of mokona and the dimensional witch. Its not for sure yet but there should be a second season of Tsubasa released around may or june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

It's PORRRRRNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not really. Excellent excellent series. Ongoning too, so plenty more to come.

GWolf wrote:
    It's PORRRRRNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not really. Excellent excellent series. Ongoning too, so plenty more to come.

Its ongoing like Tsubasa? I think XXXholic was a short term project of clamps :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

XXXHolic and Tsubasa are supposed to tie together the various clamp mangas, including Cardcaptors. There's a character in Tsubasa similar to Chii, and there's the mokana. All the checking I've done says its not finished in Japan yet. Still maybe I'm wrong. Don't care. Great series I can reread over and over.

GWolf wrote:
    There's a character in Tsubasa similar to Chii, and there's the mokana.

They used alot of they're characters from different stuff in Tsubasa, even few charaters from Cardcaptors and X.

quote:

Clamp has stated that Tsubasa and ×××HOLiC are meant to tie all of their works together, yet still stand alone as their own stories.

Enf quote.

That and the fact that it's hinted that Yuko helped create the Clow cards. Also, she really does not seem to like Clow Reed that much.

And I've double checked, it seems to still be going in Japan. Certainly there's no sign of any information on an ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

You're right. This is their most recent series and they're still ongoing. It makes sense that they'd reuse Sakura and Syaoran as Cardcaptor Sakura was really their most successful series until Chobits.

They do have another new series going but it seems to stop and start a lot. It's a shoujo [well, XXXholic runs in a boys magazine and is classed as a boys comic along with Tsubasa if you wish to be technical] It's called Kobato [temporary] and is more 'cutesy' stuff with the heroine living in the now famous apartment block that has been used for Watanuki in XXXholic and Hideki in Chobits. Unsurprisingly, the landlady Chitose makes another appearance along with her two very familiar twin daughters [both titled with variations of Chii]

Apparently it started serialization in a magazine called Sunday GX before moving to Newtype [about 2005?] the art is practically identical to the style of Chobits

Its interesting now that you mention about styles they seem to have two very different styles...guessing in each case each of the girls in clamp have a different impact. Theres likes of Tsubasa and chobits (most seen in the softer eyes and cleaner colours used) and then theres X/1999 and xxxholic (eyes are different again and characters are very long and stretched out). I havnt seen much of theyre other works to comment on them but there does seem to be two very different artists at work...probably what makes them so good ^_^

• Advertisement

There are technicqally three artists. Mokona is the primary artist but Nekoi takes the lead on certain series [eg wish, suki dakara suki, the one that I love, Legal/lawful drug] Igarashi seems to be a solely supportive artist.
    mokona drew chobits and XXholic [I think]

of course, their style evolves from working in manga for so long. just compare the early volumes of Fruits basket and Naruto to the most recent volumes.

Watching the last few eps of xxxholic and just noticed that when they showed the outside of the building Watanuki lives in, its the same building Hideki from Chobits lives in...not very intersting but thought id mention it all the same ^_^

yeah, things like that are way more obvious in the manga though. In fact they reuse it again in Kobato. We never get to see the landlords in XXXholic though but it does seem likely that they are the same characters(Watanuki mentions that there's more than one so perhaps he didn't die in this universe)
    Pretty early on Yuuko makes reference to Subaru (from Tokyo Babylon and X [X/1999]) This is supposed to tie in with the dimension hopping. Its hinted that she helped create the clow cards and the world of Cephiro in Rayearth (Mokonas!!) as well. :D Gah, I really want to find out what Clow predicted about Watanuki
    :( She mentions it in several chapters of the manga.

Clamps mangas seem to be alot more interlinked...starting to wish now i read the mangas first :(

Something ive always wondered, do clamp actually create their anime from manga themselves or it is separate animation company like most the others do?

Okay now Clamp (Igarashi, ohkawa, nekoi, mokona) are mangaka. They write, draw and ink the mangas. But it can get really confusing because they are actually quite involved with the production of the anime, they've worked prolifically with madhouse animation studio.

How it works is that whoever buys the rights to turn the manga brings them onboard. It was initially unusual but its standard practice now, it helps get the feel of the adaption right ^_^ They've always been involved, in fact they did character designs for an anime series they didn't create (Woo! multitaskers)
    They generally take on more tasks than that though
    Magic Knight Rayearth, they wrote the scripts and designed new anime only characters. (Which is something they nearly always do) Tokyo Babylon, they wrote the songs XD

The crossover thing, I'll lay it out for you ;)
    All of the Clamp school series are interconnected and older versions of the Clamp school detectives make cameo appearances in X [X/1999]

The characters from Suki Dakara Suki make crossover cameos in Lawful drug [tokyopop-legal drug] and then the duo from lawful drug and their pharmacy make an appearance in one of the first few volumes of XXXHolic :D

Tokyo Babylon focuses on Sumeragi Subaru, His twin sister Hokuto and sakurazukamori Seishiro which is a character prequel to X [X/1999] and was published in the early 90s

Angelic layer has major crossover, just compare the two and it's incredibly obvious

Outside of that I don't think that there is any other crossover until the double act of Tsubasa and XXXHolic. {Kobato came after these}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I love it. ♥
    Yuko has to be one of my favourite, if not, my absolute favourite character from Clamp.

Advertisement