Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I crazy?

Options
  • 06-02-2007 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

Am I crazy to be considering spending 10-12000 Euro on a BMW 3 series at 21 years of age? I can afford it, over say 2 years and I can afford the insurance. It's a lot really, but I know if I went for a smaller, less expensive car I would only be pining for a beemer everytime I saw one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

depends if its the 330ci or a 316i... 700-odd euro difference in tax to start not to mention the petrol costs depending on milage of course.

i would say go for it, but then again i am a complete impulsive buyer. but i wouldnt risk by social life for it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's your money :) .

If you can afford it, you really want it and any children you may have aren't going to starve because of it, then go for it.

I think some people today resent younger people who have money to spend on luxury items - it's a fairly new phenonemon in our society. I barely had 10 quid to my name when I was 21, let alone 10 grand - but why should you suffer or feel guilty because me and my generation weren't as well off?

You work hard for it, enjoy it! :D

Edit: Oh, I'm assuming that whatever car you're looking at is actually worth the money you're planning to spend - but that's another issue.

Do your sums first. Especially Tax and Petrol (if you are going for the bigger engines)

If it doesn't look like you overstretching yourself and you like the car go for it!

I did :) You won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Elessar wrote:
    I know if I went for a smaller, less expensive car I would only be pining for a beemer everytime I saw one.

You aren't married to the car you buy. Buy something you can afford, build up your NCB to the maximum, and get something half decent. Pine away in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I can afford it, over say 2 years

That would imply credit of some form or another?

Personally I couldn't enjoy driving something that I owed money on. Car ownership is a dear enough "hobby" even without paying interest on a depreciating asset.

But that's boring, and you probably don't want to hear that :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 sputnik2_2000

Definately Go for it!!! I worked two jobs when I was 17/18 and I treated myself to a fab little MG as my first car, and like yourself I had always wanted a BMW, I was in the same situation ( Could Afford it) so last year I went and I did it, BEST decision ever!!! Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is it a lower end 316i / 318i you plan to buy? If so, I'm with maidhc. Save money, build up more NCT and drive a nicer BMW for less money in a few years time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yes it's a 318i E46 99/00 model I'm after (1.9L). Tax and insurance are manageable, insurance is actually slightly less than I'm paying now on a 1.0L Polo with quinn direct when I had a provisional, which is great, because no one else will even quote me. It would be a bank loan, and would be stretching a bit, but I'd still have money to keep me going each week. I don't go out often and to be honest, I would only spend the money on something else like computers/gadgets and other consumables.

I could get a smaller car and wait a few years...but you could really say the same in a few years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well, fair play, Elessar!

It's your hard earned money and it's up to you what to do with it. And tbh, I'd rather have an E46 318i and no gadgets than a Micra and loads of gadgets. Best of luck in gettin a nice car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Did you come on here for a gloat?

If not, take it into consideration. I'm 20 and just splashed out and spent quite a hefty chunk of money on a 320d. I can afford to buy, insure, tax and run it and can afford the maintenance costs.

It would have been as cheap to buy a Skyline or something 'mad' like that, but my health (bad back) wouldn't allow it. I didn't buy a BMW to think I was cool (I'm already sh1t hot :p ) or any of that muck, I simply wanted to be able to drive in comfort, with the economy of a diesel.

If you can afford it, go for it but be prepared to be hurled abuse at "Daddys car, spoilt brat" etc. etc. When people slag me like that they normally stfu when I inform them my oul man works a 39 hour week and drives a Micra, and that I don't live at home. Ah sure even my oul lad calls me an eejit for driving a BMW :D :rolleyes:

-Edit- BTW, should have added: GO FOR IT. Absolutily no regrets with my purchase. I saved money over the past 2 years (drove a rover 1.4 - cheap to run etc) instead of taking out a loan. I've given up the drinking/going out until the summer, but as you said, i'd prefer to sacrifice a few things and drive something nice instead of driving a sh1tbox and having loads of money to waste on drink/gadgets. Best of luck and hope you find something nice. Try to get a high spec E46 with Xenon's and Leather interior, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ummm...

I'm 24. I could afford a better car than I have, but I like to have a bit of change in the pocket. I like my car, but I'd never spend all I have on it.

Spending money on drunken carousing in your early 20's isn't the worst and sometimes it is essential if you are a professional and need to build contacts!

Being able to travel and do as you please before any family commitments materialise also has a lot going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Go for it!
    Just take your time and buy the right one, not something that's going to suck up all the money you thought you'd have left for enjoying yourself once you've arrived wherever you go in comfort and style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ah go for it. You can always sell it if you struggle financially. Just make sure that if you need a loan that the car will always be worth significantly more than the remaining loan, i.e. make sure you have some money saved for it aswell as the loan, so that if you run into financial bother you can sell the car, clear the loan and still have a few bob left to buy a bike!! :)

Advertisement