Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Vista threads = Delete***

Options
  • 06-02-2007 6:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Came across this today after noticing a thread I posted about a hardware question related to vista.

The Windows forum states

Questions about any Microsoft Operating System or program used under a Microsoft OS can be asked here, as long as it won't be better answered on another Boards.ie forum.

So surely a hardware related vista question would be better off in Computers/technology and that irlrobins deleting all vista questions is a bit harsh?

What do people think?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If it\'s a specific question relating to a specific release of a specific OS, it belongs in the specific OS\' forum.
    What was your original thread?
    I can *almost* see where you\'re coming from if you have a hardware-compatibility question...but it\'s specific to the OS and perhaps could be answered by the HWCL or google...mneh...digression...
    I think you should post in Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Wait 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Certainly harsh, and I definately don't buy into his reason that it saves time to delete over move. I know a lot of the computer mods are off IRL at the moment, but even so its only a few extra clicks and threads can be moved (as well as deleted) en mass if needs be.

On a slight side that occured to me since, by the same reasoning should any question about a Windows-based program be deleted, since they too would be better suited to the Windows forum? Questions about Linux-based programs and Mac-based programs get moved to their respective boards.

Perhaps it might be time for a rethink about the organisation of that particular sections needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It always happens when a new <insert item here> is released that the relevant board gets flooded with threads, and any forums even remotely related to the topic will also take a little bit of fallout.

I don't think deleting Vista threads *at the moment* is harsh or over the top. As Syxpak says, wait six months until the furore has died down, and 99% of hardware vendors have actual support for Vista. Then a question asked in Comp/Tech about a Vista hardware issue may be answerable there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

can i post the obligatory "use linux, unix, whateverthe****" post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

kearnsr wrote:
    So surely a hardware related vista question would be better off in Computers/technology and that irlrobins deleting all vista questions is a bit harsh?

What do people think?

I'd lean towards posting specifically vista related hardware issues in the Windows forum. Is it about drivers?

As seamus said, sometimes if there's a large influx of misplaced threads they will just be deleted and not moved. The reason is usually that people will cop on and start posting them elsewhere. Rather than it degenerating into what happens in AH where most of the work we do is just putting threads in the correct forums for people who were too lazy to look themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

nesf wrote:
    The reason is usually that people will cop on and start posting them elsewhere.

Nesf nailed it on the head there. If I just threads it's not an incentive to people to post in the correct forum. Deleting threads is more effective.

As I said it's just a temp rule, I'm sure it will quickly resolve.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It was to do with Microsoft's new ReadyBoost flash system and how it would bost my system.

I was asking the question if I bought a 2gb flash drive would it be the same as having 2gb of ram.

If vista questions re hardware are banned why not XP, 2000 etc questions not banned?

While I understand that irlrobins maybe up to his tits in other things maybe he could delegate if he is finding it to much work temporarily.

I reckon I had a valid hardware question related to vista and want to see how it would pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

That is more of a Microsoft software query, than a "hardware question". It belonged in Windows.
    Create a new thread in Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Without being short kearnsr
    As a hardware question;
    kearnsr wrote:
    if I bought a 2gb flash drive would it be the same as having 2gb of ram.
    The answer to this question is No. Quite simply.

However, as you yourself point out, in relation to Vista, a 2GB flash drive used with the extra software Microsoft have provided, may add an extra speed boost to your machine at some level. It's 100% a question about Vista, not a question about hardware.
    It's pretty much the same as asking "Will WoW work faster on Vista"? You wouldn't ask this question on the WoW forum.

It's a temporary measure because Vista is a new topic. XP and 2k don't get the same treatment because the number of questions arising about these topics isn't the region of hundreds per day (OK, I'm exaggerating, but only a little). It's the same with any new topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

seamus wrote:

Without being short kearnsr
    As a hardware question;
    The answer to this question is No. Quite simply.

However, as you yourself point out, in relation to Vista, a 2GB flash drive used with the extra software Microsoft have provided, may add an extra speed boost to your machine at some level. It's 100% a question about Vista, not a question about hardware.

I cant remember the exact wording of the thread but it was also asking about performance increase in relation to ReadyBoost. I was for example looking for a correlation between flash memory and ram and how ReadyBoost would affect the performance of my system.

I dont see how asking will WOW run faster using vista compares to how a new piece of hardware works and performances with vista software.

I think thought that hardware related questions should be ok in the forum even if they relate to vista which is why I started the thread not to highlight my deleted thread but rather a new (I feel) unfair policy

• Registered Users Posts: 78,419 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Create a Vista forum.

Victor wrote:
    Create a Vista forum.

Not being smart but is this a serious reply? Sorry I'm just not sure which way to take it!

If you are serious would you have to great a sub forum for say the next OSX or linux (sorry no nothing about that os!)

I think what was there was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 78,419 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A not overly serious reply. If its creating enough traffic thats theres a thread about all the posts being deleted, maybe it merits a sub-board. Legacy systems probably don't need sub-boards as they ar eunlikely to individually need them. I don't know, I'm just putting the idea out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Victor wrote:
    Create a Vista forum.
    Agree;) Takes a couple of months for any new system to work out the bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

are people that anal about a question that really is about both the OS and hardware?

use some common sense people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

"Question about Vista"

Answer:
    SyxPak wrote:
    Wait 6 months.

Advertisement