Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a call back from NTL support?!?!

Options
  • 06-02-2007 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I just got back after 5 weeks away and find my NTL broadband connection isn't working. My flatmate tells me it was working on Sunday so it isn't gone that long.

I have work backed up in a big way which I really need to do yesterday. NTL tell me that their broadband team will ring me back within 24 hours. So I called at 3pm today which supposedly means I should get a callback before 3pm tomorrow. The question is do I believe them to actually do this? (Aside from the fact 24 hours is way too long for a supposed "hard reboot").

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

meglome wrote:
    I just got back after 5 weeks away and find my NTL broadband connection isn't working. My flatmate tells me it was working on Sunday so it isn't gone that long.

I have work backed up in a big way which I really need to do yesterday. NTL tell me that their broadband team will ring me back within 24 hours. So I called at 3pm today which supposedly means I should get a callback before 3pm tomorrow. The question is do I believe them to actually do this? (Aside from the fact 24 hours is way too long for a supposed "hard reboot").

This happened to a friend of mine last week he waited 26 hrs and go no call off them so he rang them again and asked for a manager he then told them he no longer wanted ntl brodband and had a van outside his house 3 hrs later give it a go and see what the story is

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

When dealing NTL support, you have got to expect the absolute worst. I know they have a terrible reputation and people are always banging on about how bad NTL support are, but believe me, they are worse than people think!

To be honest though, I've never had problems with my broadband with them (well, had to plug in, plug out a few times - their solution to everything) but their support would make you vomit.

I have even noticed that when you ring their helpline, you are going to hear one of two types of music. With the first type of music (line 1) I have never ever gotr connected to an actual human. With the other, I get through after only about 5 mins of holding.

I have never ever received a call back from NTL despite their promises, so you really will have to hound them. I don't like complaining too much, but you're going to have to act like a complete p**ck if you want them to listen to you.

In short, call them in the morning or as soon as the 24 hours are up. Don't be afraid to lie to them, cos they have no problem doing it to you!

That said, i think their broadband service is actually quite good!

Hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Basically their service is great for me BUT when you have a problem their customer service is total rubbish. I had a problem about two months ago and it took me one and a half hours of trying to even speak to someone on the phone. So i had my doubts when they told me that they'd ring me back within twenty four hours. Notwithstanding the complaints about them I see on boards all the time. I think I'll ask for a manager this morning and see what happens.

Well surprise surprise no call back after 24hours. I rang at a little after 3 and their computer system was down so they couldn't help. So now I'm waiting for a call back to say the computer system is back online.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I've called NTL 3 times in the past few months to report my broadband not working and each time they have "taken my details" and told me that a technician would get back to me on the issue.

Of course, not once have I ever been called back.

NTL support is just dire. Absolutely hopeless. Even when you do get through to a human, it's the same old "have you tried unplugging and plugging the modem back in?" type of stuff. I now tell them the following even before they ask:

"I've tried resetting the modem, and my analogue cable TV is working fine." :rolleyes:

Can't see myself staying with them for much longer. Not only is the support crap, but the service has deteriorated for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

PauloMN wrote:
    NTL support is just dire. Absolutely hopeless. Even when you do get through to a human, it's the same old "have you tried unplugging and plugging the mod

NTL support ( in Waterford) was run down during the autumn and closed in early December.

Yiz will all be delighted to hear that the support is now run out of Chorus HQ in Limerick contact details are here

http://www.chorus.ie/index.php?PageID=1085

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

From the NTL Website:
    Dear customer

Thank you for visiting our website. As you are probably aware we introduced a new customer relations management and billing system from 27th November, 2006. The overall objective is to improve our customer service levels to you.

During this month and as expected we are experiencing an increase of calls on our customer support lines. This is primarily due to the increase in demand for services during the month of December. In anticipation we have recruited more front line agents to handle calls, in addition, this week our front line agents will be supported by an additional call centre to help us reduce the call waiting times.

We are mindful that some of you are spending a considerable amount of time holding. Let me reassure you that this is short-term and we guarantee we will reduce your holding time effective this week.

I trust the next time you contact our call centre you will find our response time much improved.

Thank you again for your patience and custom.

Kind regards

Niall McNally
    Customer Operations Director

http://www.ntl.ie/index.php?PageID=1053&SessionID=353430d72c7f1a276f110627ad07f29f&R=31932

In keeping with their total lack of professionalism it is undated!

Well still no call back after two days. But I have 'amused' myself by calling them repeatedly (obviously I have nothing else to do). So I was told today that I would have to get an engineer out and there was an available slot on the 21st of Febuary. The 21st of f*cking Febuary... I've asked to speak to supervisors but they never seem to be there but wait it's okay as they'll call me back. Obviously I was shocked when in fact they didn't call me back... again. It is without doubt the worst service I have ever received from any company (and that includes Eircom which is saying a lot). There must be something we can do about this, can we talk to Comreg?? I'd cancel now but I'd still have no broadband and I have no phoneline either as I got it taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

I rang them id say at least 10 times, same all the time, they would get someone to call me within 24 hours. No one called for weeks, then last week someone called and said they would have someone out on Saturday. Dying with a hangover i never moved from the house all day. When i was going out that evening there was a card to say someone from NTL called and no one was home. There was no time or nothing written where it should have been. I am convinced that the technican called but didnt ring the bell, just threw the card in. As i said i didnt leave the house and for sure the bell never rang!! Their support is absolute rubbish. I am waiting on two months credit from them (still have not got it) for my lack of broadband. Im going to cancel my direct debit if they dont sort this out ASAP.

meglome wrote:
    Well still no call back after two days. But I have 'amused' myself by calling them repeatedly (obviously I have nothing else to do). So I was told today that I would have to get an engineer out and there was an available slot on the 21st of Febuary. The 21st of f*cking Febuary... I've asked to speak to supervisors but they never seem to be there but wait it's okay as they'll call me back. Obviously I was shocked when in fact they didn't call me back... again. It is without doubt the worst service I have ever received from any company (and that includes Eircom which is saying a lot). There must be something we can do about this, can we talk to Comreg?? I'd cancel now but I'd still have no broadband and I have no phoneline either as I got it taken out.

From chatting to disaffected NTL customers and from reading posts on here there seems to be an average waiting time now of up to three weeks for service.

Bear in mind that you have already paid in advance for this 'non service'. A couple of posts on here have reported that mention of the small claims court seems to result in the immediate availability of a very responsive supervisor

Might be worth a try?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/the-legal-system/courts-system/small_claims_court/?searchterm=small%20claims%20court

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote:
    I rang them id say at least 10 times, same all the time, they would get someone to call me within 24 hours. No one called for weeks, then last week someone called and said they would have someone out on Saturday. Dying with a hangover i never moved from the house all day. When i was going out that evening there was a card to say someone from NTL called and no one was home. There was no time or nothing written where it should have been. I am convinced that the technican called but didnt ring the bell, just threw the card in. As i said i didnt leave the house and for sure the bell never rang!! Their support is absolute rubbish. I am waiting on two months credit from them (still have not got it) for my lack of broadband. Im going to cancel my direct debit if they dont sort this out ASAP.

The joys of direct debits - bear in mind that if you cancel your direct debit and they proceed to present it - you may end up with a charge from NTL for return of the direct debit - for late payment (7 euros) and have to reinstate the direct debit unless you want to pay an extra two euros each bill.

Advertisement