Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying a used car in the north and bring it down south

Options
  • 06-02-2007 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I am interested in buying a used car in the north of ireland and bringing it down to the republic of ireland.

Is that easy enough to do? What do I need to look out for (extra costs/arrangements/legal stuff, ect.)

Thanks!
    timtru

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

recent thread on doing it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055046687

also a detailed guide here that used to stickied:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037358

these are for england but the same rules apply

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

much the same as here check the car out do a hpi check and make sure you get the ownership papers and check out your vrt prices before you go up so you know what you will have to pay to get it regged

• Registered Users Posts: 16 timtru

thanks for the quick reply!! What I read is: The more expensive the car the better! I want to buy a 2nd hand 00 reg car and it seems it doesn't make much of a difference after adding all the extra costs.

Can't get info for the car I want from the revenue site. Might just give them a call.

timtru

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

timtru wrote:
    Can't get info for the car I want from the revenue site. Might just give them a call.

timtru
    Good luck getting through to them!:) By the way, don't even think about buying a car without a full service history which you have verified by calling the dealers who stamped the book. The North is full of clocked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

if i bring a car from uk, MOT'ed and everything, and i have to get the vrt the next day (is that motor tax as well included?) - how long would i have to go and do an NCT? for a fiesta 96 1.3, VRT quoting me €315. is that worth it? and tax would be how much if thats not it??

sorry for jumping in, it might help others bringing cars in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

timtru wrote:
    thanks for the quick reply!! What I read is: The more expensive the car the better! I want to buy a 2nd hand 00 reg car and it seems it doesn't make much of a difference after adding all the extra costs.

timtru
    car should be listed unless it's a high performance sport car, or something special... and the VRT is quoted on where it was first registered, if it's originall a jap car then you have to say that.

Advertisement