Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Q regarding Vista and drivers..

• 06-02-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭

Am doing some work right now setting up a new PC with Vista - but have unloaded a few components (HDD, printer, PCI modem) from a very old machine to the brand new and shiny Dell machine.

It wouldn't detect the modem so i took note of it and i found drivers for it on DriverGuide and will go back with them on my USB key tomorrow. But just to be sure (though i am more or less): the drivers which are 2000/XP compatible will work 100% on Vista, right? I'm pretty sure they will but just wanna make sure before going over with them.

PS - also no point in starting a new thread about this..

But this area of computer setting up and maintenance for businesses is all new to me. Probably did close to 5 1/2 hours work on this system. From trying to fix a botched old Windows 98 machine to setting up (both with new components and a few old from the other machine) a brand new PC.

I'm not sure how much to charge.. what would be a going rate? Don't wanna over-charge but don't particularly wanna under-charge either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

the drivers which are 2000/XP compatible will work 100% on Vista, right?
    There are backward compatibility measures in place in Vista, though there were some things that could not be fully implemented due to the changes in the driver model so you may come across issues, particularily with badly designed or older drivers.
    I'm not sure how much to charge.. what would be a going rate?
    Personally, depending on the person, how much work I do for them and how well I know them, I usually go somewhere between 20-30 €ph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, i thought as much. Cheers Aiden.

The PCI modem was very very old... a Netodragon MDV92XP so hopefully there'll be no issues with it as i already told the guy when he ordered the new PC not to bother with a modem that i'd just take out the existing one (as i presumed there would be no problem).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

basquille wrote:
    The PCI modem was very very old... a Netodragon MDV92XP
    There is a small chance it could be a winmodem. In which case it needs a OS specific program rather than driver.

Winmodems are horrible things and if you can get a hardware modem instead from someone who now has broadband it's worth doing.

Advertisement