Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispelling Myths and Rumours in Rock/Metal

• 06-02-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Ive decided to start a website to help dispell some of the myths surrounding Metal and Rock, some of the frankly absurd bull**** I hear from people who dont know what theyre talking about, and just some things people dont really know and need clarification on. Any questions you may want to ask please add them to my post and see if other boarders can answer your questions. Maybe one of the mods can sticky this as it would be great to have around and educate some people.

1.Is it true that Pavarotti once sang with Sepultura?
    No, this is actually not true, as the song in question was originally leaked onto the Internet by German Metal band 'J.B.O.' and neither men have ever duetted on stage and the fact is that neither man is singing on the track. Sepultura issued a statement about this in 2000 saying that the voices are merely played by actors, however well, and that it continues to be among their most popular versions when they have never actually recorded it.
    2.As a rather new new Alice In Chains fan, I was wondering if original vocalist Layne Staley had actually recorded anything else asides from AIC and Mad Seasons projects prior to his death?
    Yes, in 1999 he laid down vocals for a super group known as 'Class of 99' featuring members of RATM and Jane's Addiction. They covered Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick in the Wall' for the 1998 movie release The Faculty. Staley died in Argentina in April 2002 of a heroin overdose.
    3.Is it true that the original Guns N Roses recorded more songs then they officially released?
    We know for certain that the track Crash Diet (which was written for a Hair Metal band called Asphalt Ballet) was covered by Guns N Roses, and has circulated around the Internet for many years, as well as this there is also the fact that many ex-Guns N Roses members have spoken about recorded songs Axl Rose now holds the legal right to. The most notable of these are a cover of Rock N Roll Cigarettes which was meant for 93's Spaghetti Incident. Axl Rose told Kurt Loder of MTV in 1999 that Slash's Snakepit's 1995 album Its 5 O Clock Somewhere was comprised of material Slash had offered GNR in 1994 but Rose had declined.

Duff McKagan also gave an interview in 1997 in which he told an Argentina Radio Station that a new GNR album had been made with himself, Axl and drummer Matt Sorum, although this album never saw the light of day. And there have been various rumors as to the amount of songs left off the Use Your Illusions albums which were to become UYI3. Finally, last year, a new studio version of a song left off GNR Lies reappeared on the Internet but did not gain much attention because of its extremely vulgar lyrics. The song is simply named Cornshucker.
    4.I had an argument with my boyfriend the other day over Van Halen. He maintained there have been 3 lead vocalists since the bands first album and I maintain there have only been two, David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar, please can you settle this?
    I hate to be the one to break this to you, but on this occasion I'm afraid that he is technically right, as this is a far more complicated argument then we have time for on this program. Asides from Sammy Hager and David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone (ex-Extreme) has also recorded an album with Van Halen, the album Van Halen 3 and was working on the follow up when he left the band in Nov 1999 for unknown reasons. That being said, Patty Smyth of Scandal was also offered the job of vocalist in 1985, but turned it down. The last Van Halen reunion was in 2004 with Sammy Hager, but that was marred by Eddie being drunk on stage, and led to the eventual hiatus of bassist Michael Anthony. As it stands currently, Van Halen has reformed with David Lee Roth as their lead vocalist and Wolfgang Van Halen (Eddie's son) as the bands bassist.
    5.Do Iron Maiden hate Ireland? Did Iron Maiden once burn the tricolor on stage?
    This myth is actually a half truth, as leaving racism aside Iron Maiden do not hate Ireland, and the fact that some of their songs are based on British Military battles lead Irish fans to believe the band may hold a resentment against this country. This stance was further adopted when, in 1997, a UDA Muriel of the bands mascot Eddie appeared apparently supporting a particular faction. This was followed in June 2000 by a Muriel (which no longer exists) depicting 'Eddie' holding a UDA flag and sword and another depiction of this stance in Dec 2002 also appeared in East Antrim. What fuels this rumour even further is the fact that one of the bands many ex-Guitarists is supposed to have played in a band that did burn the Irish flag on stage, and this is where these 2 vicious rumors have sparked from.
    6.Did Iron Maiden have a professional Wrestler as their drummer?
    No, Thunderstick (as he was known), joined Iron Maiden briefly in 1977 and was then later in the band Samson. As part of his act he often wore a mask on stage, and sometimes played inside a cage, but was fired due to his alcohol problems...including the fact he fell asleep on stage during a song on one instance. Fans still debate whether Thunderstick was actually Barry Graham or Barry Purkis. He was, irregardless, never a professional wrestler.
    7.Was the Guitarist from Iced Earth charged with Rape?
    It is true that there was a Guitarist who was connected with Iced Earth and who was once charged with rape. Ernie Carletti (ex-Naughty Naughty) was a Guitar Teacher from North America. In July 2006 it was announced that he would be the new lead guitarist in Iced Earth. However, he did not play or record any tracks with the band, as he was charged in September with multiple counts of rape and kidnapping. In Oct 2006 Jon Schaffer stated on Iced Earth's website he would have nothing more to do with the band.
    8.Did Metallica steal their songs from the NWOBHM?
    On November 30th 2004 several Internet sources broke the news that Metallica had apparently stole a riff of the song “Rainbow Warrior” by an obscure NWOBHM band Bleak House. Because the bands drummer Lars Ulrich was such a fanatic of the genre the association was made that the two songs sounded the same. The bands guitarist James Hetfield has, unofficially, admitted to this. On Aug 13th 2006 however, Igor Cavalera of Sepultura, said that he believed Metallica had made the cover of their 'St Anger' album too similar to his bands 'Domination' record.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Paraphrasing Tony Wilson: If you've the choice of printing the truth or the legend, print the legend every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

'Staley died in Argentina in April 2002 of a heroin overdose.'

Afraid I should point out a small inaccuracy here, Staley died in his home in Seattle, possibly on 5 April 2002 (Cobain's anniversary). He was found over two weeks after he had actually died of an overdose having slipped somewhat into obscurity after distancing himself from family and friends. Had an amazing and quite chilling voice, sad loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Chuchu wrote:
    Afraid I should point out a small inaccuracy here, Staley died in his home in Seattle.

Sorry about that, I made the mistake because his last interview was (supposedly) with an Argentian Journalist - although there are fans who believe he made it up - and I must have gotten crossed wires

Advertisement