Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remote access

Options
  • 06-02-2007 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

just quick question

what do people reckon of using remote access via broadband
    what issues does it raise:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Broadband is great for remote access!

You really need a secure connection though, using a VPN, otherwise, anyone can see what you're doing and possibly access your machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The simplest way of doing it is forward a port in your router to your PC for a remote access software like Microsofts remote desktop or VNC or something. Make sure its password protected or as zirconia said.. someone can and WILL get in!! I have seen it happen on a customers site once!! I was installing a server and while i was sitting there reading my book waiting for the file transfer to finish someone started using the old server right there and started running command line stuff. When i moved the mouse to see what they were doing VNC went idle and i found the hole and blocked it :D

What kind of set up are we talking about here?
    In fact shag that... just go to www.logmein.com and use the free version.. does not matter then. Its secure and it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

is there a tutorial that i can view and that will help me out on this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Saruman wrote:
    In fact shag that... just go to www.logmein.com and use the free version.. does not matter then. Its secure and it works.
    Yep, that's the one to go for OP!
    Saruman wrote:
    is there a tutorial that i can view and that will help me out on this
    No need for a tutorial. It's simple and logical. You'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

See also himachi from logmein to create a vpn to copy files remotely. Mindblowingly simple to setup.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, I also recommend Hamachi. Great for playing LAN games over the net too ;)

Advertisement