Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there lectures tomorrow?

Options
  • 06-02-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Arts day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Yeah afaik lectures are going ahead as normal. Boo-urns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Arts day is tomorrow?? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

It depends on your department and on your lecturers I think. My Geography lecture in the afternoon is off due to Orts Doy and in general the Geography department being the soundest department ever but its not a good thing for me since that'll mean I'll have a 4 hour gap instead of a 3 hour gap before a compulsory lab in my other subject. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It depends on your department and on your lecturers I think. My Geography lecture in the afternoon is off due to Orts Doy and in general the Geography department being the soundest department ever but its not a good thing for me since that'll mean I'll have a 4 hour gap instead of a 3 hour gap before a compulsory lab in my other subject. :(

You sure about this? I didnt hear anything like this off any of my geography lectures.(1st year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Wasn't arts day cancelled? Heard that from an arts rep type at about 6ish today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You sure about this? I didnt hear anything like this off any of my geography lectures.(1st year)

I dunno, it must be down to individual lecturers then. Its Niamh Moore's 2nd year Globalisation/Urbanisation lecture we have off, I think she does 1st year lectures too so maybe.

I remember we had all lectures off for Orts Doy 2 years ago and most people didnt come in so I think thats why it is at lecturers discretion.

Raphael wrote:
    Wasn't arts day cancelled? Heard that from an arts rep type at about 6ish today.

The arts rep said that "they" (dunno who he meant there) wanted to cancel it but its still going ahead. There seems to be little hype about it. It doesnt seem to be well planned with little notice of events

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Traditionally, years ago, Arts Day was a day off. I doubt they're giving the day off anymore, I would assume any classes that are being cancelled are entirely at the discretion of the lecturers. I was under the impression that Arts Day was to be cancelled with the introduction of modularisation, but then again, I was under the impression there'd be a RAG week too. Also, Arts Day was traditionally on a Thursday. Meh, it'll make even less impact than it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I also heard there about half an hour ago that the day has been cancelled with a nasty spin put on it [which might I add I don't believe for one second] Some people [those spreading rumour] are clearly not concerned with the charitable aspect of the day and more with clever spin doctoring in the run up to Sabbat. elections.

Has it actually been cancelled does anybody know?

Scraggs wrote:
    I also heard there about half an hour ago that the day has been cancelled with a nasty spin put on it [which might I add I don't believe for one second] Some people [those spreading rumour] are clearly not concerned with the charitable aspect of the day and more with clever spin doctoring in the run up to Sabbat. elections.

Has it actually been cancelled does anybody know?
    Do tell. Im incredibly bored;) Even if it is a load of crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It has been cancelled, but most of the events will run as planned.

There will be no lectures off (unless specific lecturers choose to **** off.)

It has been cancelled, but most of the events will run as planned.

There will be no lectures off (unless specific lecturers choose to **** off.)
    :confused: So its not on...but it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Yay! The world of UCD makes sense once again. :rolleyes:

I feel very sorry for the people who organised it that it's not going ahead as planned. I know a lot of preparation goes into organising the day, not least in getting permits for collecting and insurance for events. Although the SU might have been in a position to provide some funding, it still costs a lot more than you'd imagine to hold the events and it's very hard to get volunteers to commit themselves to help from 7 in the morning on. Yes, I know other faculties manage it. Arts managed it too, over the last few years. But with no real sense of community in Arts (and anyone who says the college of Arts and Human Sciences - or whatever it is now - fosters such a community spirit would be very welcome to explain how to me, because I really can't see it) it's much harder to generate the enthusiasm and sense of pride that other colleges manage. It's a pity. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Arts day was on today as planned. Any rumour otherwise seems to have stemmed from an attempt to smear the name of the organiser ahead of the sabbatical elections. I was and still am appauled by this behaviour by a group of people who have attempted to get bad press for a sabbatical candidate, which is bad enough in itself, but also that this is essentially robbing from a charity, The Bubblegum Club.

The only cancellation was that it had been planned that rag week would be this week (I think) and that will be held at a later date.

I had my information from a very reliable source, I don't like any implication that I was trying to sabotage anyone.

I had my information from a very reliable source, I don't like any implication that I was trying to sabotage anyone.

I certainly wasn't implying that you were sabotaging anyone, but I have it on very good authority that it being cancelled was a rumour started in malicious circumstances. I'm sure anyone (well most people) who said they heard it was cancelled or whatever wan't aware of this...

You were there when I as told, I can't think of a more reliable source.

You were there when I as told, I can't think of a more reliable source.

Not gonna lie to you, that isn't ringing any bells at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

dajaffa wrote:
    Arts day was on today as planned. Any rumour otherwise seems to have stemmed from an attempt to smear the name of the organiser ahead of the sabbatical elections. I was and still am appauled by this behaviour by a group of people who have attempted to get bad press for a sabbatical candidate, which is bad enough in itself, but also that this is essentially robbing from a charity, The Bubblegum Club.

Fecking sabbatical elections ruining everything. Can we not have them at all please?? Without them we would have had a great arts day andnnoying people stuck in our faces for the next three weeks!

The su and pro's havent helped community spirit at all in arts this year from what I can see. Arts should dissafilate and start up your own soc like vet and med :)

Advertisement