Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights Dimming

Options
  • 06-02-2007 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I have halogen spot lights in the sitting room with a dimmer switch and quite regulary (about 3 times every evening) all 6 bulbs go quite dim, sometimes just a bit, sometimes almost off. If i switch them off and back on they work fine again or if i turn the dimmer all the way down and back up. Am wondering what would the likely cause of this be? The switch? The transformers at the bulbs?

Thanks

Kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Most likely the dimmer switch is beginning to pack in.

Are the 6 halogens 50W each giving a total load of 300W. Some dimmer switches only have a rating of 250W and might be overloaded. For 6 halogens ensure your switch is either 500W or 1KW rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also if they are the type that take mains i.e. don't use a dimmable transfortmer, they can be very severe on the dimmer.

The bulbs will either work or not so it is not the bulbs, it is either the dimmer switch or else you are having power problems in your area. i.e. are any other lights in your house dimming / flickering, if not replace the dimmer switch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Ye that is what i was thinking. Know a bit about electrics but wasnt sure how the transformers for the bulbs are wired or if they could cause this. doesnt happen to and other lights in the apartment. have another dimmer right next to it which is used for lamp sockets but we dont use that so i'm going to swap them when i get time. thanks for the advice about the wattage as i would not of thought to check this so i will when i open them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This could be it, but before you go taking out the dimmer, check the bulbs aren't 25W

Advertisement