Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE PPVs on Sky Sports

• 06-02-2007 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering does anyone know which WWE PPVs are been shown on Sky Sports in 2007? I noticed that No Way Out is on Sky Sports after NY Revolution was shown on it last month and I'm wondering has there been a change in Sky Sports PPV lineup considering I thought most of WWE's PPVs these days are been shown on Sky Box Office? If anyone has a breakdown on what PPVs are on Sky Sports and what PPVs are on Sky Box Office it would be greatly appreciated, I don't like spending €22 unless its really worth it! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

sorry cant answer your question. I may be wrong or right here, but i think its up to vince as to what he lets us (over here) see on sky sports or on box office. i read a quote once, somewhere, cant remember, and it went something like this, " i have been good to the british fans, when it comes to ppv"

Anyway, i use to buy all the box office wwe shows, no questions asked, i dont buy all now, i found some to be crap. €22 is a lot for crap, but i dont mind paying for it if its good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Only 6 are confirmed for Sky Sports this year:

New Year's Revolution
    No Way Out
    Backlash
    ECW One Night Stand
    Great American Bash
    Unforgiven

Cyber Sunday and the ECW ppv were last minute deals last year I think. All the rest would be box office

triple h wrote:
    sorry cant answer your question. I may be wrong or right here, but i think its up to vince as to what he lets us (over here) see on sky sports or on box office. i read a quote once, somewhere, cant remember, and it went something like this, " i have been good to the british fans, when it comes to ppv"

I think once Sky got the rights to broadcast WWE events, it's up to them how they choose to show them. I might be wrong, but since Sky have already signed their deal for whatever amount of money, it doesn't really affect WWE what way they go about showing them. WWE would probably prefer them all to be on Sky Sports if anything I'd imagine, as more people would be able to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i would have assumed the deal is for a set amount of PPV's to be shown on Sky Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Fozzy wrote:
    WWE would probably prefer them all to be on Sky Sports if anything I'd imagine, as more people would be able to watch

Well if that was the case, Should Vince do the same in the U.S., doubt it, as long as there is enough people to buy the PPV's (me included), Vincent Kennedy McMahon, will keep charging them for the privilege. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote:
    Only 6 are confirmed for Sky Sports this year:

New Year's Revolution
    No Way Out
    Backlash
    ECW One Night Stand
    Great American Bash
    Unforgiven

One Night Stand will be a disaster if it's held in the Hammerstein Ballroom again. That show will be worth watching for the crowd reactions alone.

JeanClaude wrote:
    Well if that was the case, Should Vince do the same in the U.S., doubt it, as long as there is enough people to buy the PPV's (me included), Vincent Kennedy McMahon, will keep charging them for the privilege. :D

My point was that over here, Sky have already paid WWE a certain amount of money for the rights to show their programs. If every person in Britain and Ireland buys WM, Sky would make a lot of money, but WWE wouldn't see any of it. I'd assume not at least, I can't claim to know the inner workings of their contract! But that's the way television companies usually work

ECW ONS is scheduled for the Hammerstein, but do you really see many old school fans showing up? I could be wrong, but I can't see why they'd bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote:
    My point was that over here, Sky have already paid WWE a certain amount of money for the rights to show their programs. If every person in Britain and Ireland buys WM, Sky would make a lot of money, but WWE wouldn't see any of it. I'd assume not at least, I can't claim to know the inner workings of their contract! But that's the way television companies usually work

But is their contract with Sky for the pay per views not on Sky Sports simliar to the ones WWE would have with Comcast and Direct tv (the USA ppv providers) in that they would get a big cut of each ppv bought? I don't think its as simple as just buying the rights. I can't imagine WWE not getting a sizeable cut of the buys here.

For a while now, we've heard how important international buys have been for WWE since domestic has been slow. International pay per view revenue is a biggie for WWE these days.

Like I said, I could be wrong! But that's what I heard when the deal was originally made, and that it was more to do with Sky trying to get their pay-per-view business going strong. WWE must be making a lot more money from Sky these days if they do get a big cut of the ppv's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Aren't all six of those ppv's usually in the first half of the year? Are you sure it's the ppv on sky sports for the first half of 07.

• Advertisement

That's exactly how it was last year, and it's the same this year apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sigh i miss the days when all the ppvs were for free,staying up to watch wrestlemania became an event,i remember watching wresltemania 6 live,thats how far back i go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I really don't get why 'Mania is a PPV here, cso you would think WWE/Sky would want more veiws, but AFAIK, much less people buy the PPVs here. Ah sure, i'll still end up getting it or going to a WrestleMania party or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Minto wrote:
    I really don't get why 'Mania is a PPV here, cso you would think WWE/Sky would want more veiws

but Wrestlemania is one of the events a lot of people get. would Sky really prefer to have it on Sly Sports seeing as their is no ad breaks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm nearly certain it was stated either here or on DigitalSpy.co.uk numerous times, but basically it was the WWE that pushed Sky on turning many events PPV.

Sky we're happy to keep the PPV's on Sky Sports and, afaik are pushing to return to that format, as supposedly the buyrates for many PPV's is incredibly low whereas they garnered relitively strong ratings when they last aired on Sky Sports (although this may be because of the general decline of the WWE's PPV quality, a factor Sky may not have considered).

I remember that when I read the piece, that it was when Sky originally took on the cancelled Channel 4 PPV's and had to air them Box Office (to justify the costs of taking them off Channel 4 at late notice), they got relitively strong buyrates, this was circa 2000 (when obviously WWE was super-over). WWE then got the idea that, on foot of these strong buyrates on, they would pressure Sky at the next contract renewal to air certain events on SBO, notably the big ones, with WWE taking a slice of the buyrate. I don't think WWE all out forced Sky to do this but, they used the live feed of Raw as a significant bargaining tool in achieving this. Sky, I understand, had been eager for some time to be able to air Monday Night Raw live and the WWE used this as leverage against Sky when it came to renegotiating the rights for the PPV's and WWE's television shows.

Well, that's the story as I know it. Sorry if it seems a bit long winded.

Does anyone else remember reading something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

if WWE get a percentage of the buyrates, then it makes sense for them to try and ensure that SKY charge per pay per view instead of leaving it basically free to air as they see it, it should increase their revenue.
    WWE have nothing to do with the fact that we pay local cable and sky nearly €60 a month to have sky sports, there weekly cheapo programming velocity etc is for that and sky pay for Raw and SD, but we all know that the cost of sky sports is high because of the football deal, not wrestling. so when it comes to PPVs i'd be surprised if there's not a seperate deal that WWE are pushing to get all PPVs off sky sports "Free to Air"(yeah i know its not free, its 60 a month but i mean ppvs that were not paying extra for)

Advertisement