Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nameserver redirection to my server

Options
  • 07-02-2007 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

I have an ie domain which I want to host on my running linux server on whihc I have several domains already running.

However, the iedr tool seems to check whether the server is set up for the domain, before allowing redirection. I don't know which tool it uses to check it.

However, the tool and test used is coming out negative, despite the fact that I have done all the appropriate things, such as:

- set up a new user on the server.
    - set up an apache virtual host lining domain and user
    - set up the BIND daemon for the domain, by including the zone fle in the appropriate place and telling BIND where to look for it (via its config file)

that procedure has worked before withmy .com domains, but I must admit I do not know how to test it. obviously iedr do know, I assume they ar eusing some nslookup or dig comand, but I'm not hot on these tools, so don't know the options or switches I should be using with them.

Has anybody any ideas as to what may be wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

If you are the technical contact for the domain name you should be receiving an email telling you exactly what the error is.

If you aren't, then get yourself changed to be the technical contact.

If you can't figure it out, post the contents here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Make sure you have two valid DNS servers provided to the IEDR and answering requests for the domain (needs two IP addresses). The IEDR wont allow a domain through with only one NS.

HTH, Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It sounds like you only have one IP at your disposal.

You have two options:

1 - Get the IE registrar to point the domain at your public IP

2 - Use a 3rd party DNS service to do it for you

As already mentioned the IEDR require the DNS to be preloaded and RFC compliant, though they're not as strict as some of the other ccTLDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

thanks for the replies. two ip numbers? I didn't know that. Right, well, I don't think I have that.

blacknight's idea to get them to point to the single ip ... can't see how that might work, besides the fact that the domain hoster may not like it.

Looks like I might have to hunt down another ip and get its name server to host the zone info.

Appreciate the replies, thanks.

Stabu

A lot of hosts / registrars offer DNS services. It's not that complicated really :)

Michele

• Advertisement

This is still unsolved. Can I ask, how can you actually test a nameserver for a domain before the domain is actually pointing at it? The nameserver itself also has a domain name of course. I imagine if you nslookup the ip number you will get that one. But I'm looking to test the namserver's reply for a different domain I (supposedly) have it set up for. Any clues?

We have a handy tool here:

http://82.195.129.128/dnscheck/

If you want a proper DNS check use this:

http://www.zonecheck.fr/demo/

It will give you plenty of info on your setup

Hey thanks for the answers, much appreciated. However I run into problems with a "No SOA record found" error, even when I have a working domain. I googled this error and surprisingly enough, it doesn't get too many hits. SOA is the Statement of Authority, right. Oh no, hang on, the serial number? I seemed to be setting it OK in the zone file, and it gives errors on (supposedly) working domains, so I'm mystified.

.com domains will work with broken DNS

A large portion of ccTLD domains will not work properly unless your DNS is RFC compliant.

If you don't have two nameservers you'd be better off getting the registrar to simply point the domain at your public ip for you

• Advertisement

Hi Michele,

Thanks, that explains it then. WRT to the public IP, are you saying that just the one IP - the public one that I have - will be needed? You mentioned that previously, but I couldn't understand how just one IP would do it. Surely it (the system) requires two ips?

Cheers

<deleted double post>

I think we're talking at cross purposes :)

You have one IP.

You therefore cannot run your own DNS

I would suggest that you get whoever handles your domain to do the DNS for you and point the domain at the public IP for you

Oh right yes, got you, you're recomending me to stop tinkering with my named and to outsource it I think. Cheers, I appreciate the replies.

stabu wrote:
    Oh right yes, got you, you're recomending me to stop tinkering with my named and to outsource it I think.
    Yes :)

BTW, out of interest, not that I know what secondary nameservers are for at all, but if my secondary nameserver reports a different, public IP, that doesn't count as the required "second IP", no?

You need a public IP for each/every DNS server you run (even if both IP's resolve to the same nameserver, registries 'see' it as two DNS servers).

<delete double post>

I can report progress. It appears that I did not have my domain properly registered on the second nameserver (which does indeed have a different public IP).

The two suggested tests are coming up good now. Of course, it remains to be seen whether iedr can transfer the domains now. Zonecheck.fr reports some 107 tests passed, so I'm hopeful.

I have to thank you guys. However this was only a small domain.

Now I have a large company asking me about dns services. Traffic likely very big. Is corporate dns so different? Protection from Denial of Service v. important. For example, do both your companies handle dns services for big accounts? if so, would you have references?

Cheers!

Hey Stabu,

We're not allowed advertise here, but yes, most of the Irish hosts will provide DNS services - we, for example, are the only ICANN Accredited Registry in Ireland, and also the largest host :)

Stephen

• Advertisement

If you are interested in those kind of services contact a number of the hosts directly to find out what they have and what they can offer you

Advertisement