Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop recommendations

• 07-02-2007 12:41am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping to have some extra cash in the coming months and have been talking about upgrading my computer for some time.

I'm considering getting a mac mini to replace my desktop - maybe one coming in under the €1000 mark would suit best as I'm not looking to spend too much on an uber powerful machine but do want to make the switch to mac (while keeping my options open to dual boot properly).

Anyway - I've not made my mind up on that, but I do figure I'll need a laptop for other bits and pieces in the near future too and I figure I'd be better off going with a PC for this (As the better macbooks are too expensive).
    So here's what I need:

Lightweight, portable machine with as good a battery as I can get... also a decent sound card so I can connect mics etc. without too much hassle and with a decent record quality.
    After that it's all OK - naturally the more powerful the better, but it'll be used for pretty basic stuff (the most intensive likely to be a small bit of audio recording) so I don't need huge specs on processors and RAM etc.

Any suggestions? I might not be getting it for a while, a new home computer will probably be the priority and my eyes are on the mac mini for now, so even if it's something on the way that's cool.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

flogen wrote:
    also a decent sound card so I can connect mics etc. without too much hassle and with a decent record quality.

You might want to ask on some of the music fora about this. Generally speaking most laptops come with a bog standard AC97 sound card, which suits us mere mortals, but may not be of high enough standard for you. Having said that, practically all come with line in and headphones out.

Other than that, a low- to mid-range Dell would do you.

Advertisement