Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imaginecup talk @ UCD 7th - 2pm [Xbox game prizes etc.]

Options
  • 07-02-2007 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,
    This message relates to a talk on the Imagine Cup which is an MS sponsored Student Technology Competition.

There will be a talk tomorrow by people from Microsoft Ireland in (B1.08) in the Computer Science building 2-3pm on the Imaginecup. Students who stay to the end can go in for a raffle for some XBOX games and Digital image Suite software.

(Directions: http://www.cs.ucd.ie/staff/aquigley/home/index.php?Introduction:CSI_Directions)

Any Irish students who register for the imagine cup competition at www.imaginecup.com will go into a draw for an XBOX, Colour printer and Digital Camera, with the draw taking place in early March, once the closing date for registrations has passed.

Aaron.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭I_Mr_Euphony

Hi,

I attended this talk and the competitions that we were introduced to were quite good/interesting.

The only real problem I have with this competition is that anyone who wishes to take part in the main, Software Development competition is required to use Microsoft-centric technologies to develop their concepts :confused: . Technologies such as .Net and C#, technologies that we don't learn anything about in college. (And I'm sure that there is a reason for this)

Granted that with enough time we could learn the technologies required but with the concept summary required in little over a month, and the submission date for complete projects about another month after that, its not really possible.

Maybe next year....?

~Euph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭aaronquigley

Hi,

I attended this talk and the competitions that we were introduced to were quite good/interesting.

The only real problem I have with this competition is that anyone who wishes to take part in the main, Software Development competition is required to use Microsoft-centric technologies to develop their concepts :confused: . Technologies such as .Net and C#, technologies that we don't learn anything about in college. (And I'm sure that there is a reason for this)

Granted that with enough time we could learn the technologies required but with the concept summary required in little over a month, and the submission date for complete projects about another month after that, its not really possible.

Maybe next year....?

~Euph

Indeed, the time window on this is very tight so next year might be a good option. As for ".Net and C#" take a look online for ongoing discussion on how difficult they are to pick up if you are familiar with LAMP or Java.

eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_C_Sharp_and_Java (note WikiPedia is just a starting point and this is a heavily edited article with 500+ updates).

The danger of teaching with something new, just for the sake of it (ie. not because it's core to a degree) is that something newer comes along. Case in point, I taught a web-engineering course (which was software engineering focussed) back in 2001 and it was all JSP with JDBC etc. (which did slant the concepts that were covered) and I wouldn't touch those with a barge pole now if I was teaching it.

Aaron.

Advertisement