Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weirdest thing you ever witnessed ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

They found an 'altar' in Knocksink Woods in Wicklow a few months ago that appeared to have been used for the ritual sacrifice of a dog. Thankfully the Gardai were alerted and destroyed the altar. You should report an strange activity of this nature if you encouter it - you may be able to save some animals a very cruel death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

fluppet wrote:
    They found an 'altar' in Knocksink Woods in Wicklow a few months ago that appeared to have been used for the ritual sacrifice of a dog. Thankfully the Gardai were alerted and destroyed the altar. You should report an strange activity of this nature if you encouter it - you may be able to save some animals a very cruel death

Yeah I saw that on the news. And we did report what we found but never heard anything back from the rozzers.

Oh and on the whole 'meteor' thing about 15-20 years ago. Around that time me and me Da witnessed the night sky turn bright green...a bit like the Northern Lights except only 1 colour and only lasted a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

Sonderval wrote:
    One of the weirdest/cool moments I've experienced was when I was still in secondary school. I was walking across a large green on my way down to school when I seen a bunch of crows in the distance, arranged almost in a circle. Must have been around a dozen of them. They weren't making any noise, just standing there. So I altered my path a bit to check out wtf was going on. When I got closer I noticed a dead crow in the middle of the ring - the other crows seemed to be standing vigil over their departed kin. I was able to get pretty close to the fella's and they didn't seem to get agitated that I was there. They were eerily silent too. After a short period of time, I had to leave them to get to school.

Apparently, this behaviour is rarely seen and possibly hints at some deeper level of interaction between our Corvus friends. I still get awestruck thinking about it. I know I witnessed something unique and special that day (and weird :) )

yes, nature is fantastic to observe,.... i remember one time when i was up in the rainforests in the northern territory australia,....i came across a wild turkey and this massive guoana lizard thingy about 130-140 cms. they were fighting to the death over a patch of rustic ground. i broke them up, but they kept on going at each other again and again. most bizarre, but not as exciting or spooky as some of the other stories !!!

funny,..my next door neighbours claim that there is a poltergeist in their house with a number of them reporting being pinned down to the bed over the years........... have considered using that as a "sorry im late" excuse in work.
    im usually pinned to the bed till about 8.40 every morning , but unfortunately no poltergeist in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Just two weeks ago I was taking the kids to school one morning when I looked into a field on our left. The field was covered in a sparse low lying fog but in the middle of the field we saw what appeared to be a triangular shaped cloud upside down. It extended upwards to about 15m and was almost perfect in shape. The shape was pure white and quite dense in that you couldn't see through it. We along with about 4-5 cars all stopped to stare at it. Pity I didn't have a camera with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

funny,..my next door neighbours claim that there is a poltergeist in their house with a number of them reporting being pinned down to the bed over the years........... have considered using that as a "sorry im late" excuse in work.
    im usually pinned to the bed till about 8.40 every morning , but unfortunately no poltergeist in my house.

Nerd point for me. Sounds like your neighbours have a familial condition called Sleep Paralysis. But poltergeist=way better story. (Sorry)

Great thread by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

2. slow rolling fireball high in the sky,...... with a flaming trail.
    lasted 4-5 minutes , and couldnt believe it didnt make the news !!! probably 15 years ago now. obviously a meteroite, but fantastic spectacle.

Off topic and just in reply to that....I saw that too, year of my leaving cert (91) late summer/early autumn IIRC, meteorite travelling east to west pretty slowly (hence pretty high up). It lit up the clouded sky for at least two minutes and spooked the f*ck out of me.
    I read in the Irish times a few days later that it was one of those near earth objects that glanced off the atmosphere, and apparently was about the size of a large house.
    [edit]
    I decided to see if google would throw anything up about this....as you can imagine searching "ireland meteor 1991" throws up loads about musci awards and not much about what I'm after but I did find this:
    http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1991JBAA..101..291M

That article reckons febuary 20 which sound about right now that I think about it....can't find anything on the irieh times site though...

On topic (and I'll probably get slammed for this) but me and a mate are convinced that we saw what can only be described as a plane with no sound, travelling about 200m above us just of the coast at Blackrock Co Louth a good few years back...we'd had a bit to drink but both of us had our wits and know what we saw....the p[lne was moving fast, had a lot more flashing lights than usual and at the height we perceivied it as being made absolutely NO sound. I still et goosebumps thinking about it.

Oh yeah, another one....one particular time with a ouija board (yes yes, foolish I know) when we (me and two other people) got what felt like a "bad spirit" and one of the other people picked up the glass (which had been moving with violent force with only one of each of our figertips in conact with it), threw it at a mantlepiece made of granite, but said glass refused to break and just bounced off the granite...the guy jumps up, grabs the glass again and tries to smash it against the wall....the glass bounces again. At this stage the light has been switched on and the candle has been blown out....we examine the glass...not so much as a chip out of it.....your normal, run of the mill slim-jim bar glass that breaks if you sneeze in the general vicinity. It had been hurled at polished black granite and a wall and bounced both times...I changed my views on oiuja boards after that night and wouldn't recommend that anyone dabble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Weirdest think I've ever witnessed was when I was 19 walking across Wolfe Tone Bridge in Galway when I saw my Grandmother about 10 meters in front of me...Not exactly strange you say but my grandmother had passed away 5 years previous..so I just stood there white as a ghost until someone tipped me on the shoulder and asked was I ok..I looked again and she was gone...
    Really odd, i've a similar experience with deceased relatives...

It was a few weeks after my Grandmother died and I had started to find it harder and harder to sleep at night. My usual system was to go downstairs and get a glass of milk to drink and then head back to bed. One time i went down, took out the carton and drank directly from it. When i was done i heard a 'tch' sound from the table, like a scolding noise a parent would make. I turned and my grandmother was sitting at the table and for some reason this seemed perfectly normal. She told me to put away the carton and said "and don't you worry about me... now go back to bed".

It only struck me as odd that my dead Grandmother told me off for drinking out of the carton the following morning. *Shudder*

This was back before anyone had even heard of the blair witch (~93)

For the record I had only read the OP's first post in this thread before hitting reply....I've just got done reading all three pages...scumlord and myself have almost identical posts and at least 3 other pople apart from the OP seem to recall the meteor thing.
    Also ouija boards and UFOs have cropped up at least 3 times.

Loved the story about the circle of crows, btw. Crows are some smart animals, one of the very few besides primates that make and use pimitive tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Nadia the transexual from big brother, holding up the customs queue in Vancouver airport, because the gender of her passport contradicted whats between her legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

1.Seeing a figure in my room the night my brother died the only person in the house was me at the time.
    2 Seeing around six big fellas get out of a mini with a wind up key at the back:D.

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query

^
    A full report on the 1991 meteor event from the BAA website in pdf format.
    I was standing on the quay in Dundalk at the time (where the spirit store is now) having a sneaky smoke when the sky lit up...it was a little cloudy over the bay and I only caught glimpses of the object in between breaks in the cloud...the colours I saw were predomonantly green and some blue and I saw at least two parts to the object....that report reckons about 10 seconds....for me it seemed much much longer, but memory is funny like that.
    Interesting to see that so many people reported this...

strange that,.........i'm sure it was like 4 or 5 minutes long,.... in south dublin the sky was clear as i remember ,.... not a breeze.
    makes me wonder what we miss cause of cloud cover !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

This **** me up real good at the time and its still my pub story.

I had a dream in which i got hit by a bus on o'connel street at the spire and died....

That morning on the way to work several of the aspects of the dream match up perfectly so narurally i was freaked out and went home stick.

The same day, not even 5 hours after my initial dream a woman got hit by a bus in THE EXACT same location and died.

The whole thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=302348

RTE: http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0915/rta.html

Time of my post about the dream with ALL details: 13:46
    Time of accident: 16:00 on the same day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Rabies wrote:
    You should have asked him why did he have a weapon of ass destruction in his bag?
    Then sent him for a quick search :eek:

I fixxed your post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Was it broken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Hard Larry wrote:
    Was out camping in Wicklow about 5 years ago. At around one in the morning I saw a bunch of people dressed in White dancing through the trees in a woods and I could hear wierd singing. At first I thought I was hallucinating due to lack of sleep (as I also saw a caterpillar on a bicycle that afternoon :D ) but when I checked my watch turns out it was the date of the Summer solstice. Some of my mates claimed to have heard the singing too.

Some friends came across a guy chained to a tree with bondage gear on later on that week. He was blindfolded and they kept a wide berth. He wasn't there later on that day and he didn't seem distressed.

On another occasion we found some skinned animals (we reckoned they were dogs) one was layed out on a rock the other strung up on a tree.

I have other stories of hearing giggling and laughter in the dark and hearing footsteps and crazy noises but never saw anything.

Moral of my stories...if you wanna see wierd **** spend a night or two up the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains.

Ala Blair Witch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

SaxoDuff wrote:
    Ala Blair Witch!!

Why did you have to drag Cherie Blair and politics into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

I remember seeing a meteor/comet a few years ago,but the one you are all talking about was a few days before I was born.I suppose that was the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

I remember i think it was the summer of 95 lying in bed staring out the window, I used to live next to whitehall church. suddenly this glowing yellow triangle came slowly over the top of the church it had 3 orange circles inside, i freak and ran into my parents room (oh yeah i was about 12 when this happened) and told my folks there was something outside, my da jumps out of bed thinking someones breaking into his car but my ma seen it, next thing you know it just shot off over the houses. next day it was in the papers that it had been sighted al the way along the m50 i think, apparently it was a"experimental aircraft" yeah a glowing one in Dublin at 3 in the morning

I was on bus once that drove over someone. that was surreal, seen two corpses at separate times in the liffey

Oh and on the topic of "i see dead people" the front bedroom in my folks house is mad haunted. the best story being my brother who was lying there one night an he rolled over to see an old woman lying mid air. so as she was blocking the door he turned back around and stared out the window for about by his count 2 hours, at which point he turned around to find she was still there. so he just turned back around till morning when my da came downstairs and it was bright so he chanced turning round again and she was gone, turns out our elderly neighbour had died during the night,

i also stood nex to bertie ahern at a urinal once but i wont go into that suffice to say it resembles mary harney;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

oh **** i forgot about this, didn't see it myself but one of my mates seen this a few weeks ago in Germany. she and her mate where walking down the road when they looked down a lane to see two cats holding down a female cat while another cat had its way with her, there was apparently about 20 cats waiting their turn. not quite as beautiful as the crow story but still nature huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The solar eclipse yokey in August '99 (I think), the stream of cars pulled alongside the road and everyone with their arms stretched out blocking the sun to try and get a look at it. Everything was at a standstill. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Great Thread, just spent an hour reading it all when I should be tidying up :D

Couple of years ago I was cycling home on the Belgard Road, I saw a 'UFO' (by defintion that I don't know wtf it was!)

It was summer, evening time, not yet dark, but would be soon.

Above in the sky, but not far away at all, I saw, what looked like a small ball of flame, pulsating, a little ball of fire, then after a few seconds it shot across the sky with an impressive flame like drag behind it and disappeard with a greena flash.

Very bizzare but cool looking, have absolutly no idea what that was, I don't have a clue about meteors or the like, but it didnt seem like what I would expect of them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Back when we used to save turf for the fire, i was turning over a sod in the bog when I noticed something unusual under it. It was about 6 inches long with another six inches of a tail. As soon as I realised I was inches away from a lizard I ran away faster than I ever thought I could. Also seing a bat close up was pretty shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Driving on the road beside Stephen's Green (Grafton st straight ahead, outside the Eircom store) a few years ago, and there was a guy in a wheelchair in the middle of the road (middle lane) just sitting there hoping somone would knock him down! It was mental - cars beeping, pedestrians not knowing what to do, and also cars driving around him.
    Poor guy, but an odd situation.

Rabies wrote:
    You should have asked him why did he have a weapon of mass destruction in his bag?

I believe you mean weapon of ass destruction. lawl

I fixxed your post!

Blast, just saw that, knew I shoulda read the thread first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I'm bad at telling stories, but whatever, heres mine

1. Getting the 66 into town, for those of you who don't know, the bus goes along the quays. So i look out the window (top deck if that matter) and I look into the liffey, and there was some kind of massive eel/sea serpent, vastly bigger than your average eel (if we have eels) it even had those humps like the loch ness pictures, I have a witness also of it.

2. Hanging around at a roman spa around our area with some friends, i look into the sky of the clear summers day, and i see this incredibly huge bird, much bigger than any bird we have in Ireland, it appeared the same size as any other bird, but my depth perception then recognized that it was at a much higher altitude than what birds normally fly at also. My guess would be some kind of large imported bird got loose

related to number 1., I once saw a seal in the liffey also, it was during the Dublin Duck Race (youtube it) it was a great surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eviecarwash

A few weeks ago , on a Saturday afternoon, I saw a guy in Drimnagh walking down the road in his dressing gown in his bare feet. He had his slippers under his arm. He was just walking, looked happy. A few mins later I saw him again carrying two bottles of wine home! Weird or wa?!;)

A few weeks ago , on a Saturday afternoon, I saw a guy in Drimnagh walking down the road in his dressing gown in his bare feet. He had his slippers under his arm. He was just walking, looked happy. A few mins later I saw him again carrying two bottles of wine home! Weird or wa?!;)

that is odd, why the heck wasn't he wearing the slippers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

About four years ago when I was 18 I was out with a couple of guys who did graffiti. We were coming home through an industrial estate when one of the lads started speaking in German randomly. Now this is not weird in itself, but he had a weird glaze in his eye, and of course he did not speak German. When he snapped out he started crying because he was convinced something terrible had happened to him. It took us a while to calm him down. The guy was a tee-totaller, and I'd spent the last few hours with him sober. It was just plain eerie the way he turned even though it was but for a few seconds.

Other weird things are seeing a 30 year old man getting stuck into what looked like a 12 year old girl on holiday, watching Spanish police beat the **** out of a guy who had his radio robbed, and all manner of people going AWOL in the head on drugs.

• Advertisement

Futureman wrote:
    Driving on the road beside Stephen's Green (Grafton st straight ahead, outside the Eircom store) a few years ago, and there was a guy in a wheelchair in the middle of the road (middle lane) just sitting there hoping somone would knock him down! It was mental - cars beeping, pedestrians not knowing what to do, and also cars driving around him.
    Poor guy, but an odd situation.

if its a kinda homeless bloke in a wheel chair , 40ish years old,........ i too seen him try to slash his wrists outside the gates of stephens green.
    he finished his bottle of whyskey and smashed it off the rails, where he then began to slash away hard at his arms.
    an onlooker tried to take the bottle off him and the disabled guy started lashing out with the broken glass bottle. eventually a guy kicked it clean out of his hands and the homeless bloke broke down in tears of depression.
    this all happen with about half a dozen total knackers slagging off the victim.

an ambulance came , wrapped up his arms in bandages and left him there on the street.
    i went home and cried that day,..... 16 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The-Rigger wrote:

Maybe they werent his.

The-Rigger wrote:
    Stekelly wrote:
    Maybe they werent his.

well that would be odd, why would he be walkin down the road in his dressing gown, but carrying some one elses slippers, and not wearing them because they were someone else,

I guess we have come to the conclusion that he was bringing these slippers to their rightful owner??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

When I was about 10 or so I went on a school tour to a butterfly farm(I'm sure lots of you have been). There was a field beside it where there was a load of frogs running around. Anyways this kid in my class, I can't remember his name now, swallowed a live frog whole, didn't chew it or anything, just put it in his mouth an swallowed it. That was pretty fukked up alright.

Another thing that happened ther last weekend, wasn't wierd so much as amusing. I was in a flat with a few lithuanian friends of mine and we decided to order out, so the lithuaninan girl who owened the flat rang up tp macaris. A chinese girl was working the phone there, the reception was loud enough so we could here the conversation. Both the lithuanina girl and the chinese girl had very thick chinese and lithuanian accents and the lithuanina girl proceded to try and pronounce italian words in a lithuanian accent to a chinese girl, maybe you had to be there, but I had to laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I was in the house by myself last night in my bedroom, and I heard the light switch in my landing click off, and when I looked out the light was off. What the hell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

slipss wrote:
    When I was about 10 or so I went on a school tour to a butterfly farm(I'm sure lots of you have been). There was a field beside it where there was a load of frogs running around. Anyways this kid in my class, I can't remember his name now, swallowed a live frog whole, didn't chew it or anything, just put it in his mouth an swallowed it. That was pretty fukked up alright.

Were you in a special school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Stekelly wrote:
    Were you in a special school?
    ..or were you in a school full of show-offs?

I can only imagine being there...ewww
    I'd hate to have the feeling of a frog hopping around inside me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Dunno if this is the weirdest thing but it's the first thing that comes to mind........

Last summer while driving in the North, between Limavady and Coleraine, a rabbit fell out of the sky and landed on the road about 15-20 meters in front of me. It scared the bejaysus outta me and my dad (in the passenger seat). We came to the conclusion that it was probably a buzzard or some other type of hawk, carrying its prey and accidently dropping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Funkstard wrote:
    I was in the house by myself last night in my bedroom, and I heard the light switch in my landing click off, and when I looked out the light was off. What the hell?
    The switch may have been in 'neutral' and eventually clicked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

slipss wrote:

our old window cleaner used to eat worms whole,..... no bother.

another weird experiance was playing the inmates in st. pats prison.
    had to go down past all the cells on their recreation time,....proper intimidation going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I saw an really aul lad at the bus stop today flagging down a dump truck thinking it was a bus.

classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I saw an really aul lad at the bus stop today flagging down a dump truck thinking it was a bus.

classic.

I done that once or twice during the winter months of going to secondary school. Trucks are just as loud and you can't see shít when it's coming towards you.
    Pretty embarrassing after the first time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Support +1 for the spectacles forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

slipss wrote:
    There was a field beside it where there was a load of frogs running around.
    :eek:
    This is really weird alright.

Frogs usually hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

classic.

best one so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

great thread...

i remember this from when i was about 11 or so....

I was in bed asleep (my bedroom was on the first floor facing the back garden) and i had this dream that this teddy bear popped up outside the window... it looked around the room and looked directly at me, then disappeared... i thought no more of it until the next morning when we realized that there was a ladder up against my window cill and all our bikes had been robbed....

was just as well that i was half asleep or i would have freaked out.

Just today i saw some eejit cylcling down henry st. on a unicycle! also saw a vertical rainbow!!

Vertical rainbows eh? Only in Dundalk...

Aye, well it wasnt a complete rainbow just a shaft of light, there was no arc to it atall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

When I was 16 a friend had a car and we drove up the Dublin mountains looking for the end of the rainbow. I kept telling the rest of my friends that rainbows don't have an end as such, but it was a fun day nonetheless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement