Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheffield Utd vs Spurs (match thread)

Options
  • 07-02-2007 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bell & Hare Yid

Morning fellas,
    Anybody heading over to Sheffield this weekend? I'm meeting up with a few friends on Saturday for the match, don't know where to go in Sheffield yet, will be there from Friday to Sunday. If anyone fancies meeting up for a pint or five, let me know.

Not really sure how the match is gonna go, Sheff U have improved considerably from the 2nd game of the season when they were absolutely chronic at WHL. It's one of those games where we're gonna have to really roll up the sleeves and graft for a result, the kind of match we've been getting next to nothing from so far this season. Hopefully the United game might have given the players a kick up the arse rather than draining them of confidence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Won't be heading over myself, but enjoy the game ..

I've kept my head down since the Utd debacle, but i feel a bit more confident about this game aslong as we battle, Sheff Utd are going to battle and we will need to compete with them. The pitch will not be in a great state so slick passing (if only we did this anyway) will not be an option, i suspect we will lump the high balls to Berbatov and then feed of him ..I'm going for a 2-1 win .... Maybe Optimistic, but hey i support Spurs :D

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Morning fellas,
    Anybody heading over to Sheffield this weekend? I'm meeting up with a few friends on Saturday for the match, don't know where to go in Sheffield yet, will be there from Friday to Sunday.

Gave my voucher away because of work, though after last week I'd probably have given it a miss anyway.

Try here for drinking suggestions on the day. Enjoy.

Not confident of a result at all, Sheff Utd will have watched our collapse against ManYoo, reckon they will go at us from the off. We lack the bollox to counter that :( .

Really hope I've got this one wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bell & Hare Yid

Hope you've got it wrong too, TRO, but unfortunately I'm as optimistic as you are about this one. Cheers for the Bramall Lane info.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Hope we play Ghaly in midfield rather than Lennon - these guys are improving and will take no notice of southern prima donnas.
    Wish we had a Dave Mackay who could kick lumps out of our fellas!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i wish we had joey barton.
    have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bell & Hare Yid

Joey Barton would be a good addition.

Heard this rumour today, don't know how much truth is in it, but Barton is a legend if it is....

At the England squad get-together, apparently Lampard has been a right tit about Barton being in the squad, won’t talk to him, pass to him, all that stuff, and just got up to move to another table at breakfast when Barton sat at the same one. Apparently as soon as he stood up and moved, Barton called after him "Don’t worry, I wasn’t going to nick your breakfast you fat prick" and Lampard threw a hissy fit and stormed out.

Joey Barton would be a good addition.

Heard this rumour today, don't know how much truth is in it, but Barton is a legend if it is....

At the England squad get-together, apparently Lampard has been a right tit about Barton being in the squad, won’t talk to him, pass to him, all that stuff, and just got up to move to another table at breakfast when Barton sat at the same one. Apparently as soon as he stood up and moved, Barton called after him "Don’t worry, I wasn’t going to nick your breakfast you fat prick" and Lampard threw a hissy fit and stormed out.

:D:D:D

I've heard that a couple of the established players (lets call them the English Mafia) decided among themselves to give Barton the cold shoulder if he got the call up, due to his honest assessment of their pathetic world cup stories. McLaren should be cracking down on that if true, bunch of blouses.

Like him even more now.

Don't worry lads we'll win this one and stop the rot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Don't worry lads we'll win this one and stop the rot!!

Hope you'rwe right but can't see it myself. Think we'll be doing well to get a point!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I actually have a sneaky feeling we will beat Sheff Utd on Sat...

• Advertisement

Team news

In: Tainio, Jenas, Mido (returns from suspension)
    Out: King, Ghaly (suspended)
    Probable: Lennon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

come on lads.
    lets get out there and start putting in the effort.

its going to be mucky and dirty and hard, and its going to come down to hard graft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Faaaacccckkkkkiiiiinnn 'eelllllll............

Jol's under pressure now

No inspiration and now the players are whinging on the pitch:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Watched the highlights on football first...it looked like we only got stuck in to them and made a few challenges when we went 2-1 down. Not good enough !

2 more away games coming up...fulham in cup and everton on the wed after... if we were to lose both of them...MJ would be under serious pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

We're ****e. end of story.
    Overpaid
    Spinless
    Wimpy
    cnuts

MOTD interview with Jol.....that affable grin is getting on my nerves now "We couldn't get the ball up to the forwards." Well WHY couldn't you??!!It appeared from the highlights that we created nothing.There's no connection between midfield and attack.
    Those exhilarating first halves against Newcastle and Arsenal (first leg) are a fading memory.Both those games were at home.It's a sign of balls to do the job away from home and this team has none.......I feel little connection with any of these players,other than Ledley and Chimbonda.

Excerpt from interview BBC
    Tottenham manager Martin Jol:
    "We can have no excuses because we had a very strong side out, but it should have been our day.
    "We had a lot of chances, especially in the first half, and then we have a goal disallowed for a foul that was not as bad as Hulse's on Dawson for their goal.

"It has been a disappointing month, and our league form is frustrating because we were so good last year. We are not as solid as we were then, but we have everything to play for still and we must get back to winning ways as soon as possible."

A LOT OF CHANCES!!???No excuses...and then giving out about a disallowed goal.We may be suited to European football more but it's only a matter of time before we're found out there.
    One more year for Jol (and Hughton) and his plan and then Levy should be off to California for a chat with Herr Klinsmann.

Of course if we get to the UEFA Cuo final I'd be kissing Jol's feet......Ah,football.

I'm also getting tired of the same after match interviews...."we should have won, we didn't take our chances, the referee didn't do this or that" but we didn't win and we didn't take our chances.....and its that same now after nearly every game.

I see something resembling an axe hovering above over Martin....after all the money we've paid out and the squad we've assembled you've got to beat Sheffield United...just got to.

• Advertisement

Why put on Mido and Defoe and take off 2 midfielders - we could not then get the ball up to forwards and were very stretched at the back.
    Rocha improved in second half but how did he play cb for Benfica in European Cup, he looks too slow and not used to physical challenges.

galinka wrote:
    Rocha improved in second half but how did he play cb for Benfica in European Cup, he looks too slow and not used to physical challenges.

European game is totally different to the English game, which is why I keep saying people need to give Zokora/BAE etc time to adjust. I thought Rocha looked handy vs Sarfend in the FA Cup, he needs time to find his feet.

Advertisement