Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Low Latency High Packet loss

Options
  • 07-02-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've been having an odd problem with my IBB connection for the last couple of months. And it only seems to happen with high-number port traffic (e.g. gaming traffic, port 27035, etc.)

If I attempt to play a game online I'm getting slaughtered with packet-loss. As high as 50-60%, although averaging 25%, yet my latency is around 50ms. Needless to say this makes most online games unplayable. Even MMO games which are more tolerant of bandwidth issues than first-person shooters like DOD or CS.

I've tried it with two seperate machines, changed my switch, plugged a machine directly into my radio connection (as opposed to my firewall) and none of it makes a blind difference. Yet if I download large files using http/ftp/etc. or do pings or traceroutes, everything seems more or less ok.

Anyone else having an issue like this? My connection has been fine for the last three years, and I'm connecting via the 3-rock mast.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it could be a bittorrent control mechanism whereby bursty traffic to and from high port numbers is deprioritised to the point of being dumped on occasion .

try playing the game on port 779 or something below 1024 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sponge Bob wrote:
    it could be a bittorrent control mechanism whereby bursty traffic to and from high port numbers is deprioritised to the point of being dumped on occasion .

try playing the game on port 779 or something below 1024 :D

I suspected it was something to do with their traffic shaping mechanisms lumping everything on a higher port than 1024 into low priority. And I can't change the ports since these are the ports the game-servers run off :p

Off the phone with my third tech support guy (in fairness this was the first time I was at home with my router turned on), and it's interference from other signals in my area. I should be getting a call out shortly to sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

Hi i just got a question concerning IBB and their minimum subscription period. Since you're obviously one of their customers :D do you have any idea about that period ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Do you get packet loss if you use a low port number ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

tonton-bob wrote:
    Hi i just got a question concerning IBB and their minimum subscription period. Since you're obviously one of their customers :D do you have any idea about that period ?
    Ibb breeze has a 12month contract.. the crappy ripwave does not have any minimum period i dont think.. which product specifically are you wondering about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

the crappy ripwave :( ( the only ibb product available in my area , d11 )

Thx for the info

Do you get packet loss if you use a low port number ?

Apparently I am. The tech-support guy was saying I'm getting a lot of interference and as a result, lots of packet re-requests. I guess the problem really only shows itself with latency-sensitive applications like on-line gaming :-/

Advertisement