Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boys in Blue busy right now.

Options
  • 07-02-2007 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

This may be a south-east thing, but in the last few days I've been though/past several checkpoints and speed traps and its not even the last week of the month! So just beware!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Saw speed traps at unsual places in Cork too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yup seen an increased prescence,speed traps, tax and insurance and drink driving checkpoints at home in cork. all good things to see IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

saw the same thing myself here in Dundalk...

yesterday was the first checkpoint i've gone through in about 2 years checking for tax and ins about 2pm on the inner relief road (bypass)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Bar the Gatso in its usual spots, on usual days, I can't remember the last time i saw an unexpected speed check or a tax/insurance checkpoint.
    Also, it is years since I saw a breathalyser checkpoint.

I am in Kildare/West dublin mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

feck i need to move an untaxed car tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

The gatso has been outside the Dolmen hotel carlow a few times in the last week, which is unusual. The N7/N9 has been pretty quiet from gardai recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

you should all be ashamed of yourselves warning of garda speed traps disgraceful ? :rolleyes:

Is this the '07 equivelant of a flash of the lights ? :)

Nobody does it on the road anymore!

RobAMerc wrote:
    you should all be ashamed of yourselves warning of garda speed traps disgraceful ? :rolleyes:

Funnily enough, the Gardai are forced into saying that they don't mind if people know of regular gatso locations, because they will slow down in these places. and that (as opposed to revenue collection - yeah right), is the main objective.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The gatso has been outside the Dolmen hotel carlow a few times in the last week, which is unusual. The N7/N9 has been pretty quiet from gardai recently.
    I drove up off the N7 onto the ring road towards Lucan yesterday evening. I soon came behind a car dawdling in the overtaking lane, flashed them and when they didn't move I held my spot.
    A mondeo with one misaligned headlamp came bombing up behind me and approached my tail. I decided to move out of their way and they moved up past me to sit within a foot of the car in front. I then saw the array or roof aerials and knew who they were. They bliped the siren a few times and eventually the idiot moved out of their way and the gardai floored it onwards and then right up the Nangor Rd.
    Anyway, the gardai are around alright but you can't see them! However, if you see a mondeo (not just this navy one) driving dangerously then its probably the gardai!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

prospect wrote:
    Funnily enough, the Gardai are forced into saying that they don't mind if people know of regular gatso locations, because they will slow down in these places. and that (as opposed to revenue collection - yeah right), is the main objective.

Thats what I have been saying they should be doing for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

neacy69 wrote:
    saw the same thing myself here in Dundalk...

yesterday was the first checkpoint i've gone through in about 2 years checking for tax and ins about 2pm on the inner relief road (bypass)
    A lot of checkpoints this past two weeks between Dundalk and Carrick, was even one down by Toberona Monday night at around 8pm (must be after the joyriders, not before time)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Are we all agreed though that its a good thing that they have an increased presence??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

bigkev49 wrote:
    Are we all agreed though that its a good thing that they have an increased presence??
    I agree.

bigkev49 wrote:

I agree, assuming that presence is in appropriate places at appropriate times, where serious and fatal accidents are likely to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

On the radio news yesterday they said something like 350 were doen for drink driving last week (not sure if i heard th etime frame right but nearly sure) so thats good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

kbannon wrote:
    Anyway, the gardai are around alright but you can't see them!

What sort of a statement is that!

Even with the array of different makes on the fleet now, unmarked cars are still easy to spot once you are alert.

Are you trying to tell us they have gone all Star trek on us and got cloaking devices? :D

invest4deepvalue.com

I also agree again once it's appropriate places and times. I did see a Garda pulled in on the N9 last week however he was asleep.. (seriously and in a marked car)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Do-more wrote:
    Are you trying to tell us they have gone all Star trek on us and got cloaking devices? :D
    Damn I can't think of a good Kling-on Gardai one-liner to follow that :o:o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do-more wrote:
    What sort of a statement is that!

Even with the array of different makes on the fleet now, unmarked cars are still easy to spot once you are alert.

It was impossible to tell that the unmarked car that sped up behind me (in the dark and him with dodgy lights) was a garda car. It is only if the car is ahead that you can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

I've been stopped at two checkpoints on the N11 in the last week, I've driven on that road for I'd say 45min a day every day for the last year and never saw a single checkpoint then see two in one week? There definately has to be some sort of new initiative in place.

• Advertisement

The boys in blue were certainly busy today. on the way to Dublin today (N9/7) there was a checkpoint and 5 speed checks, on the way back 2 speed checks and a number of Garda cars to be seen.

They blitzed the N6 near Kilbeggan a couple of weeks ago. I think thay have changed tactics a bit, instead of just one (visible) car on the side of the road, they now have a couple further up (hidden but not very well:D ) to catch those who slow down then speed up!!

Advertisement