Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Branding?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Nangkang tires seem to be the pits. Ive heard nothing but horror stories about them, noteably the NS-1's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

try a scrap yard ull get almost new ones on rims for little cash

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

old boy wrote:
    try a scrap yard ull get almost new ones on rims for little cash

you reckon? I've heard different before, as in, not to go near 2nd hand tyres:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie wrote:
    you reckon? I've heard different before, as in, not to go near 2nd hand tyres:confused:

When you buy a secondhand vehicle, you are buying secondhand tyres! :rolleyes:

Rather than a scrapyard, check out a few tyre places - they should have some reasonable used tyres - and will have given them the once over for damage. Not sure about whether it is legal for them to sell them though, so you may have to do an under the counter cash deal.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

esel wrote:
    When you buy a secondhand vehicle, you are buying secondhand tyres! :rolleyes:.

Yes but theres a good chance those tyres havnt been involved in a crash resultig in a car being written off. (or caused one) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Would you buy an airbag or seatbelt in a scrap yard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stekelly wrote:
    Yes but theres a good chance those tyres havnt been involved in a crash resultig in a car being written off. (or caused one) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Would you buy an airbag or seatbelt in a scrap yard?

I have bought a seatbelt in a breakers. Centre rear for Volvo 940 - car was stolen before I got a chance to fit it. You reckon I was lucky then? Have never had a car with airbags, but a crashed car with unused airbags? I wouldn't even but that model car!

Maybe you didn't notice that I advised cormie to go to a tyre dealer? And how do you know that tyres on the s/h car you buy haven't been bought from a scrapyard, or otherwise damaged? :( Maybe you have never bought a s/h car, or have always immediately replaced tyres if you have?

Personally, if I was on a tight budget, and the choice was between a set of new plastic no-name tyres or a good s/h set from someone I trusted, I know what I'd do. Ideally, of course, I'd go for a new set of good tyres.

Oh - cormie, if you do go for a new set of cheapies, learn about cadence braking!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I prefer your original idea of everyone chipping in for top quality tyres for me Esel :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I wouldnt risk 2nd hand tyres. You wouldnt know what they went through. I have 2 buckled rims from hitting a hugh pothole in the garage, but the tyres look okay, but I still went out and got 2 new tyres (even though the 2 tyres in the pothole incident cost 130euros each). If you had damaged tyres, a blowout could happen if the internal ply was damaged etc etc.

Advertisement