Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Computer and parts please..

Options
  • 07-02-2007 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hey..

i now have most of the money needed to get my new computer..ive decided to go and get a pre-built komplett computer and choose the parts myself..

here is a screenshot of the computer rig and also a router and hifi cable which i need to ask about too..

komplettcomphd0.th.png

now this will work out around 1980euro with p+p..which is more than i have at the moment so this right here is kind of cutting it..but do you guys think everything in the computer will be fine for normal use no overclocking and stuff..and no compatibility problems??

and another question about the router im getting..

which is linked here.. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323291&s=sc

now this is priced at 100euro there abouts

but i found this one also for 70 euro http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=316909

so i could save meself 30 euro by getting this one instead..now im not sure what the difference is but its something to do with the new adsl +2 technology..and im with UTV bb which i dont think do adsl+2..so will this be ok and work the same way as the 100 euro one above it..im planning on plugging my utv router into this d-link one via ethernet cable and then connecting this to my computer via another ethernet cable coming from one of the ports on the back of the router and using the built in aerial to connect to the other computer via that usb receiver thing in my house im using now atm.. will that work??

and lastly the hifi cable im getting there..will i be able to connect that to the output speaker mini-jack at the back of the motherboard and lead it into the left and right phono ports my hi-fi amplifier has thus using the louder speakers as pc speakers..?

Thanks alot..im sorry about some of these stupid questions but i just want to be sure.. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Okay network stuff first yes that will work once the UTV router is plugged into a wireless router you can then share the connection via WiFi though of course you will need to setup the WiFi network in the routers config.

UTV are using PPPoE (Google confimrs) which all routers sold here with built in DSL modems support. As long as you know the settings for UTV's connection you can do away with the UTV router but if you are not sure in that area then you can keep the router and simply feed the connection through the wireless router instead.

If you want ot play it safe go with the cheaper router and USB WiFi adapter however this is one of the best WiFi routers with a great signal & range but more expensive.

As for the PC everything looks great the only minor items are that Samsung's next gen 20" wide screen display is about two weeks away though I understand if you cant wait that long but I know the feeling of getting something for it's replacement only to show up a week or two later :mad: (you could tell Komplett to ship parts in stock and use current display for time being when it comes into stock they will ship it to you)

Also there are supposedly new 8800GTS cards launching very soon with 320MB of RAM instead of 640MB the only difference & a fair bit cheaper but I do not know the time frame only they are in review sites at the moment so maybe another week or two (optimistically).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

8T8 wrote:
    Okay network stuff first yes that will work once the UTV router is plugged into a wireless router you can then share the connection via WiFi though of course you will need to setup the WiFi network in the routers config.

UTV are using PPPoE (Google confimrs) which all routers sold here with built in DSL modems support. As long as you know the settings for UTV's connection you can do away with the UTV router but if you are not sure in that area then you can keep the router and simply feed the connection through the wireless router instead.

If you want ot play it safe go with the cheaper router and USB WiFi adapter however this is one of the best WiFi routers with a great signal & range but more expensive.

As for the PC everything looks great the only minor items are that Samsung's next gen 20" wide screen display is about two weeks away though I understand if you cant wait that long but I know the feeling of getting something for it's replacement only to show up a week or two later :mad: (you could tell Komplett to ship parts in stock and use current display for time being when it comes into stock they will ship it to you)

Also there are supposedly new 8800GTS cards launching very soon with 320MB of RAM instead of 640MB the only difference & a fair bit cheaper but I do not know the time frame only they are in review sites at the moment so maybe another week or two (optimistically).

hmm could not find much on these new samsungs what the difference ??

is it just that they support vista or have new pannals ???

sorry for the spelling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

thanks 8T8 for all that :D

well yeah on the router..i havent a clue of any settings or anything..i just think i can plug an ethernet cable coming from the utv router and feed it into a port on the dlink router and thus have another ethernet come out of a different port on it and plug into my new computer and also let another computer access via wireless which would be about 8 metres across the house going through 2 walls..not sure if thats too far or not

i like the look of that netgear one but dont think it has a receiver with it.. :(

i also like the look of the new samsung monitor :D

i actually might get that if i can manage to get an extra 35 euro off me parents...hopefully i can because that thing looks lethal..thanks for telling me about it :)

and another thing is that cable the right one for connecting a stereo to a pc to use stereo speakers as pc speakers ??

cheers m8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

awhir the newer display has a lower response time, better contrast and brightness than the prior line (also HDCP support), what else is in them I cannot say as there are no reviews yet but Samsung are a safe bet and in general with LCD displays you want to get the newest model if not on a tight budget.

IgsTer the audio cable will do the job and allow you to use your hifi speakers.

For the network that is what you must do in practice it is a little more complicated so here is a very rough outline;
    * Plug out UTV router from PC
    * Plug in WiFi router to PC
    * Update firmware of WiFi router
    * Go into WiFi router config & disable DHCP server
    * Setup wireless network use WPA security and a password of say 12 characters using random numbers and letters with the letters being mixed of upper and lower case - that will keep the network secure.
    * If you wish to go further enable MAC address filtering take down your MAC address of any wireless NIC's and enter them into the filed so only those NIC's can connect to the router.
    * Finally change default password of router admin access.
    * Now plug UTV router into WiFi router if all goes well you should be able to connect to the net and anyone else who connects to your WiFi network can also.

:D excellant..sounds going to be blasting out as its a pretty loud speaker and amp system..

nice guide for the router..cheers for that..now i have a clue of actually what to do..lol :)

and ye i suppose i might just wait an extra week or two to get the newer samsung monitor considering it has better brightness and contrast and a nice 2ms response time..cant go wrong for 35 euro extra..just hope its in the prebuilt computer component options when its released..and everything else is still in stock.. :D

thanks for all the help..hopefully everything works out when i get it :)

• Advertisement

Well i think im going to order this some time next week..a few stuff has changed since my last proposed setup as i have gotten a bit more cash :)

heres my list of parts

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=441769&su=1E9224B9-9BBC-4A71-A76E-133EF29EF06E

i decided to go with vista as well..i know right now it mighnt be the best thing to do but in the long run it is..and have also went with one of the new samsung monitors :D

sorry to ask this again..but does all this look alright together..any advise appreciated.. :D

just also wondering is the psu powerful enough to power all this?

Advertisement