Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the name of that film?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I was watching a film on TanG maybe 3years ago. I'd like to watch it again, but I can't remember the name. So can any one tell me please and thank?

The name start with the letter "S" witch is the name of the killer machine that come out from the sand.
    Starts off in an army bass on a desert Island, a solder came with a white flat and gets chop up by these metal frisby things. So the Solders go out from the bass to investage the enigy bass and find a girl along the way.

any body know what I'm on about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

It reminds me of an episode of outer limits

EDIT: It could also hae been twilight zone, one of those anyway reminds me of a 45 min episode but i cant remember which one sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Screamers, without a doubt.

Saw it a few years ago and I remember liking it, its probably ****e now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 trawingtroll

I just creamed my pants... thats it... thanks:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

its based on a Philip K Dick story

superfly wrote:
    its based on a Philip K Dick story

A what now?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Philip K. Dick? If you don't recognise his name, you'll probably recognise some of the movies based on his novels and short stories.

A Scanner Darkly

Blade Runner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)

Impostor

Paycheck

Minority Report

Screamers (Second Variety)

Total Recall (We Can Remember It For You Wholesale)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

He is my god :) though i havent seen most of the films based on his work (though i may have watched bladerunner more times than anyother film)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Just IMHO Blade Runner is by far the best of the films based on his work.
    A Scanner Darkly is good-ish but is perhaps too reverential of the book and that weird rotoscoping process is a little bit off-putting. Just thinking about it, I must watch it again ;)

Screamers, Impostors and Minority Report are all pretty much run-of-the-mill films (and listed in descending order of watchableness).

Total Recall has basically nothing to do with the original PKD short story, some entertaining Arnie bits.

Paycheck -ehhh - I think I've seen it but I can't remember anything about it.

Arguably, Dark Star and The Truman Show are good films in the spirit of PKD despite having NO connection to PKD's writings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bladerunner was perfect, and at the perfect time, not only providing us with a suitable visual cue for PKDs particular dystopian view of the future but also clicking with the whole cyberpunk, thank you Mr. Gibson, fad, as a result every grim future vision had to have lots of neon, lots of rain and probably some asians on bikes!
    Heck even Blackrain ticked all the boxes, although one of the Scotts directed that too so maybe they were on a roll!
    Impostors was good but let down by feck all budget, Scanner darkly was spot on but rather impenetrable for all those who hadn't read the book.
    For that grim type of scifi, when you are finished with PKD go for Forever War, Stand On Zanzibar and SuperToys Last All Summer Long, a little bit of the novel Starship Troopers should be by your bed always too.
    Best one of all has to be Use Of Weapons, Iain M Banks, the darkest, nastiest twists ever, pure simple genius, why oh why have we not had another scifi book from him?

I thought A Scanner Darkly was brilliant. It was representation of the psychotropic & psychoactive effects of drugs. The weird rotoscoping added to the feel of disorientation which drugs can create, the half real, half fantasy which the characters are feeling is past on to the viewer. The exploitation of citizens by Government and Business for their own ethos and ends, loved it.

What do you mean "impenetrable for all those who hadn't read the book", what needed to be expanded on, it seemed to me to be pretty clear cut, or was there extra plot that wasn't in the film.

I watched it with my friend, both of us ended up in mental home though over use of the innocuous hash. I seen people descend around me and go to dark places. We thought the film expressed the final stages beautifully.

In short, I liked it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement