Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial vehicle vat question

Options
  • 07-02-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm thinking about buying a 4x4 in the uk(crew cab) and bringing it across here on save some money. Many adds show the price plus vat and others dont mention it. What is this all about. I presume that if you use it for business you can claim back the vat! Right?
    Can I claim back the vat if im taking it out of the country(prob. not) What implications would it have on me selling it here? Would I have to pay VAT and VRT when I import it?
    Lots of questions, I know. I've done as much homework as i can but the whole commercial vehicle thing is something I know nothing about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 JohnW

nantony98 wrote:
    I presume that if you use it for business you can claim back the vat! Right?
    Would I have to pay VAT and VRT when I import it?
    As far as I understand, you will have to pay VAT and VRT when importing. If you are VAT registered, you can claim back the VAT amount that you paid. However, if you then sold it on, you would have to declare the VAT on the amount you received from the sale. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

as far as i know you dont have to pay the vat in england cause you will be exporting it but you will have to pay vrt on it in this country and you can check the amount before you go by logging on to revenue site

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

You can only claim the VAT back if you are registered for VAT in Rep of Ireland. And It gets complicated if you are importing from the UK or Northern Ireland, an accountant can answewr that one for you.

There is no VRT on a lot of the crewcab type commercials (its a flat €60 fee)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Crew-cab vrt rates have changed, they are now 13% of the OMSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Crew-cab vrt rates have changed, they are now 13% of the OMSP.

Correct on the VRT however the VAT is an interesting question, in theory you cant write UK VAT off your own VAT bill. By right they shouldnt charge you VAT if you are buying from ireland and have an irish VAT number.
    Might be one to run by askaboutmoney.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

If you give them your Irish VAT number-- They will charge you at 0% VAT-
    Up to you hen to pay the vat here & then claim it back-- a phone call to your local tax office should be eneough-- they will prob just ask for a letter giving details---Do you have an accountant to do your VAT returns etc at the moment?

If you give them your Irish VAT number-- They will charge you at 0% VAT-
    Up to you hen to pay the vat here & then claim it back-- a phone call to your local tax office should be eneough-- they will prob just ask for a letter giving details-prob pay nothing---Do you have an accountant to do your VAT returns etc at the moment?

Also-- Do not get it under a Finance Lease, -- and get diesel

Advertisement