Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any ball heavier than a 16

Options
  • 07-02-2007 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭

Following on from the lightest ball query I was wondering whether anyone has seen or thrown a ball heavier than 16 pounds. I was always led to believe that the heavier the ball the better so why no 20lb balls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The heaviest ball made by Brunswick is certainly a 16 lb, I'm pretty sure the others are the same.

The idea that a heavier ball is automatically better is quite common but not quite correct. Yes, a heavier ball will carry more weight and follow through the pins at greater velocity but only if thrown with force. Technique is far more important to a higher pin count.

If you are hooking the ball, the wrist flick and finger-lift provides both the momentum and the force; weight doesn't make much difference imo.

I don't have any links to back this up, just what we were told in our coaching many moons ago :) If anyone has any links, that would be cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

According to the World Tenpin Bowling Association Statutes and Playing Rules, "The weight of the ball shall not exceed 16.00 pounds (7.25 kg). There is no minimum weight."

Advertisement