Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a laser card -- but unemployed

Options
  • 07-02-2007 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm taking a year outa college at the moment, and I'm between jobs after having been given 2 days' notice by the last place I was in. I'm applying for a good few though.

I'm looking to get a laser card with my bank (AIB) at the moment, and when I went over there I was given an application form and sent on my merry way.

I've filled in the personal details part, but another section is asking for details of my employment. I've read in another thread that you only need to fill this part in if it's a cheque-guarantee card that you're applying for. It appears that this is the kind that I am applying for (it says so on the form!), so should I (a) wait until I'm employed to fill this part in, (b) send in the form without filling in the employment section, or (c) say I'm unemployed(not claiming the dole BTW)?

If I can only spend the money that I have in my account with the card, then I don't see how my employment or lackthereof is too important.

Thanks folks

ps. Laser cards can be used as ATM cards abroad, yeh? ie. they're cirrus things

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

It should not matter to the bank if you have a job or not with regard to a laser card. They are not a credit card, they take the money you have in your account, if you have no money in your account then they do nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They do seem to credit-score laser cards as part of the application process, which is why they're asking for employment details.

If you get one, the AIB ones are combined Laser/Maestro ones which will let you use it machines abroad that have Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus logos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You need an ordinary card not a cheque guarenteed one. Go back into your branch and explain, kick up a fuss if necessary. YOU DO NOT NEED TO FURNISH DETAILS OF YOUR INCOME!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I was declined a cash card from my bank a few months ago, I wasn't specifically looking for a Laser card just a Cirrus card as I was going to the States and for some reason my application was denied - i'm employed full time and had been for over a year at the time.

Irony now is I went into the bank last week to lodge a cheque and my card wouldnt read properly due to a scratch on it so the clerk issued a request for a new card, what pops through my letter box yesterday only a Cirrus cash card...

Advertisement