Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Glaze timber windows or go PVC ?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All

Have a bungalow which was built in 70s primarily for holiday use - hence large timber, single-glazed windows. I have insulated the attic lately but the heat loss through the glass is obvious and a big concern.

Someone pointed out to me lately the option of re-glazing the timber frames (they're in reasonable condition) with double glazed glass which would reduce expenditure significantly. Before this I had planned on just laying out the money for double-glazed PVCs.

The house has 5 large windows ( very rough estimate 5.5' wide * 4' high glass size) and 3 smaller windows.

Questions are:

1. Is this reglazing really advisable or a quick fix (or does it just depend on quality of the existing timber frames?)

2. Ball park costs of reglazing versus brand new PVC for the whole house (Won't take this as gospel obviously, just a pointer)

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

We put in double glazing in 1970s teak windows in November , it has made the house much more comfortable , in addition the windows look much better as the glass is held in place by wooden battons instead of putty .
    The only people that I found doing this are LM Glazing http://www.lmglazing.com/contact.htm , ( outside Derry) they gave me a rough ( but accurate) quote over the phone and gave me 4 references in the S.East which I visited . I can recommend them .
    pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Could anyone put a rough % estimate on the difference between re-glazing and buying whole new windows ? eg 60% of the cost

Advertisement