Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Scouts] It's been a while

• 07-02-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

It's been years since I was last involved with Scouts at home in Ireland (we were CBSI back then!) butI'm just wondering if meetings are opened with a prayer anymore? Is it still the prayer of St Ignatious?

Have the Scout principles changed?
    1. A scout is grateful for the gift of Faith, s/he cherishes it all his/her life and is faithful to its practice.

2. A scout loves his/her country.

3. The duty of a scout begins at home?

What has changed since the CBSI/SAI merger and the emergence of multi-denominational scouting?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it was

Dearest Jesus, teach me to be generous,
    Teach me to love and serve as you deserve;
    To give and not to count the cost;
    To fight and not to heed the wounds;
    To toil and not to seek for rest;
    To labour and to look for no reward
    Save that of knowing that I do Thy Holy Will.
    Amen.

On my honour I promise that I will do my best, to do my duty to God, to serve my community, to help other people and to live by the Scout Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi Melek,

I still know the prayer by heart and say it every day but I'm wondering if it is still the prayer used in Scouting or indeed if any prayer is used in scouting now that the organisationis multi-denominational?

The same question regarding the old Scout Principles, have they changed?

Just wondering :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Hiya guys
    We changed the "dearest Jesus" part to " dearest Lord" and this seems to
    keep everyone happy. We start our meetings with the prayer and saluting
    the scout flag, and this year we are ending the meetings with the scout promise. This year is the 100 anniversary of scouting and the theme for the year is "one world, one promise", so that’s why we are using the promise.
    Scouting is still going strong, but in my 14 years of being a scouter, I have noticed a big change in attitudes of the scouts. It can be hard to get them
    enthusiastic about things. They have a shorter attention span, and If something does not get their attention, they will make little effort to take part. Of course, they have a lot more, and are influenced by a lot more.
    Still. It is still good fun, and for the most part, the scouts are fine young people.

Advertisement