Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downloading Season 1 From my Friend Steve

• 07-02-2007 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I don't have a television.

I want to watch this show, but you can supposedly get Season 1 off iTunes and want to check if anybody has already done so

Is this true?
    What price is it? (You need iTunes to find out and it sucks).
    Do I need a ghey ass iPod to look at them?

yours etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

If its on iTunes, you may need to be residing in the States to d/l it, like with BSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You need a US credit card in order to get them.

It's $1.99 an episode or $42.99 for a season pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Some enterprising american soul on ebay should offer their US card privilages to euopean viewers and demonstrate the ability for the net to work around such silly restrictions.

I mean the last time I checked I live in the EU, don't we have some type of anti monopoly laws that should work against SCI-FI and sky etc..?

But offering the shows for download as they are shown in the US would undermine their sales negotiations with the likes of BBC and RTÉ.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But offering the shows for download as they are shown in the US would undermine their sales negotiations with the likes of BBC and RTÉ.

While this is true, unfortunately the likes of RTE, BBC etc are really bad at showing decent sci-fi shows that air in the states....

RTE gets a big mention for this as they never manage to show any decent Sci-Fi shows and they don't come up with any of their own like the BBC do :(

tba, if you do manage to download them you don't need a iPod you just need a Mac or PC running latest iTunes/Quicktime and you'll be sorted.....iTunes isn't that bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

RTE not doing sci-fi is a good thing imho. They manage to mangle portraying a doctor's clinic in dublin can you imagine the ****e they'd come up with if they attempted to do something not based in this world/timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Thorbar wrote:
    something not based in this world/timeframe.
    You mean like Fair City?

Sci-Fi comedy can usually be done on the cheap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Goodshape wrote:
    You mean like Fair City?

Sci-Fi comedy can usually be done on the cheap.

Red Dwarf imho, wasn't crazy expensive and has made the BBC alot of money....

I've come up with a plan to buy Heroes from iTunes, I normally buy the vouchers for myself on iTunes rather then making numerous 1e buys I buy a 10e voucher and use that.

Anyway I noticed when I generated the code it says its for the Irish store only, and this got me thinking....if a US iTunes cusatomer made a voucher would it be a USA voucher only and if so could it be redeemed by a Irish customer and used in the US store? :)

Have a friend of mine in the states, might see if he'll be nice enough to buy me a 5e voucher to test with..

I'll keep you posted :)

Right, I can be given the voucher but when I login it says Irish store so there goes that plan, its a shame that people in Europe still can't download such shows legally.

There's a market for this stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I discussed this with my brother (who lives stateside)

Hes on iTunes like an addict so I considered this:

-The files are encoded, and will only work on an authorised PC (max 5 at a time)
    -Get your friend to purchase them and transmit them to you (via instant message link or gmail .zip)
    -He changes his actual password to his account for a brief to let you activate/authorise your PC via an iTunes client.
    -He changes back to his original pass. Your PC is authorised and can view the saved vids, but you can no longer access his a/c (this requires a fair amount of TRUST!)

Or, you can watch them on <snip> or something simpler :p

FYI: iTunes will make them available to Irish IPs when the show airs ;)

No links to episodes please... be it P2P or http or otherwise.

Thanks.

Overheal wrote:
    FYI: iTunes will make them available to Irish IPs when the show airs ;)

hasn't happened yet so doubt its going to happen anytime soon

Has anyone done this properly yet?

I don't see how it can be done: the IP checks that iTunes must use simply wouldn't allow for it, would they? The same way you can't watch the BSG webseries over here...

It won't work, I tried it and it failed, such a shame :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Overheal wrote:
    Has anyone done this properly yet?

I don't see how it can be done: the IP checks that iTunes must use simply wouldn't allow for it, would they? The same way you can't watch the BSG webseries over here...
    You need a US iTunes account with a US billing address and a US source of funds.

There is no IP check. *touch wood*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Could try getting a US mailbox (or family/friends house) and adding that as an authorised address for you credit card. Some US shops will accept that as the credit card authorising company will then accept the US address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Would using a proxy work, when itunes checks your ip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

is season 1 for sale?, i looked on ebay and can't see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Season 1 is not finished just yet

( . )( . ) wrote:
    is season 1 for sale?, i looked on ebay and can't see it?
    On DVD? It will probably be released about 2 or 3 months after the season finishes.

I'm hoping for a blu-ray or HD-DVD release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Probably a Season 1.0 costing a gazillion quid no doubt, and then shortly followed by a Season 1.5 set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

tba wrote:
    Season 1 is not finished just yet
    ahh, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I'm hoping for a blu-ray or HD-DVD release.

Absolutely. All the CSI's in HD would be great too as it happens.

Advertisement