Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering Birth Of Child - Hospital?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can help me here - as far as I am aware, I will be asked for my new baby's details while in hospital - does this have any effect on the official registration of the birth which I think I have 3 months following the birth to do? Or does it have to be done within 30 day's?

What's behind my query is my baby's Dad's reluctance to put his name on the birth cert - he will need to sign a statutory declaration but is unlikely to do so without some resistance (paternity not denied, just doesn't want to know) - I had hoped not to insist on this until my baby arrives (5 weeks) but am I leaving myself too short of time i.e. will I need to produce this declaration in the hospital? If I leave the Fathers name blank in the hospital, can I amend it when officially registering the birth provided I have the declaration?

Many thanks

Julietta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The details taken won't have any effect unless you are married and you are not expected to produce any documents.

If you are not married your details and that of your child's birth will be sent to the register of births and death and then you have to visit the office of births and deaths to register the child's birth with in the 3 months time period after the birth.

http://www.groireland.ie/registering_a_birth.htm#5.%20Re-registration%20of%20Births:
    Where the mother is single, i.e. has never been married

4.1: At the written joint request of the father and mother (Form CRA 9). In this case, both parents will be required to attend together at the Office of the Registrar to sign the Register of Births.

4.2: At the written request of the mother on production of a declaration by her naming the father. This form (CRA 1) must be accompanied by a Statutory Declaration by the father acknowledging paternity (Form CRA 3). In this case, the mother will be required to attend at the Office of the Registrar to sign the Register of Births.

4.3: At the written request of the father on production of a declaration by him acknowledging paternity. This form (CRA 2) must be accompanied by a Statutory Declaration by the mother naming the father (Form CRA 4). In this case, the father will be required to attend at the Office of the Registrar to sign the register of Births.

4.4: At the written request of the mother (Form CRA 5 completed), or the father (Form CRA 6 completed), on production of a certified copy of any court order issued by the District, or Circuit Court regarding guardianship of infants or maintenance, or under the Social Welfare (Consolidation) Act 1993 naming him as the father of the child. In this case, the mother (if CRA 5 used), or father (if CRA 6 used) will be required to attend at the Office of the Registrar to sign the Register of Births. Please ensure all parties are named fully and correctly on the court order.

There is also the option of re registering the birth to include the father's details.
    Section 5. Re-registration of Births:

The re-registration of a birth may be effected only in either of the following two circumstances:

5.1 – where the parents of a child who are not married to each other wish to have the father's details included where these details were NOT registered initially. or;

5.2 – where the parents of a child marry each other after the birth of their child.

Enquiries should be made directly with a Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages. The Registrar will advise you as to what documents and information will be required. It will be necessary for the Registrar to refer the relevant papers to the Superintendent Registrar for the appropriate authority to be issued providing for the re-registration. Where a birth is re-registered the initial entry will be retained but all Certificates will be written from the new entry.

Where a surname has been recorded in the original entry the surname details may be changed by agreement of both parents and the changed surname will appear in the “new” or “second” entry.

Only one re-registration may be made under the circumstances outlined under 5.1 and 5.2 above, so parents should take care that all details are correctly re-registered and especially that the surname chosen is the most appropriate to the needs of the parents and the child.

A re-registration to include the father's details (5.1 above) may be further re-registered only if the parents marry subsequently (5.2 above). A re-registration where the parents marry (5.2) cannot be re-registered again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Julietta

Thanks so much, will look into getting the necessary forms together

Julietta

Your welcome,
    hope your birthing goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

If you're not married the hospital automatically call the baby "Baby Mother's_Surname". Even when you insist the baby will have the father's surname they say that it is procedure to give the baby the mother's name. They send the paperwork away with whatever first name(s) you give the baby but your own surname. You can change this when you go to the registry place and the baby can be registered with a different first name(s) (if you have changed your mind), your surname, father's surname or both (double-barrelled name). The HSE and baby clinic, public health nurse etc will all still be calling your child by the name the hospital put down. You will be blue in the face from informing them of the child's actual registered name. They seem to be incapable of correcting their files.

I think the registering has to be done within 30 days. I'm not sure if the father needs to be there if the child is getting his surname but I would say not. I'd get him to go with you for that registering business if you could, just to ensure his name goes on there and the child gets his surname if you want that.

Best of luck with the birth. Hope all goes well for you.

4.1: At the written joint request of the father and mother (Form CRA 9). In this case, both parents will be required to attend together at the Office of the Registrar to sign the Register of Births.

That is from the guideslines of the register of birth own website.

http://www.groireland.ie/registering_a_birth.htm#5.%20Re-registration%20of%20Births:
    The Civil Registration Act 2004 requires the parent(s) of a new-born child, not later than 3 months from the date of the birth, to attend in person before any registrar of births, to provide such information as is required to register the birth and to sign the register of births in the presence of the registrar.

Prior to the commencement of the 2004 Act, a birth had to be registered in the district where the birth occurred (e.g. the district dealing with the maternity hospital where the child was born). Under the new arrangements, a birth can be registered in any registrar's office and you can now register at the office that is most convenient for you or nearest to your home/work/business address.

Again from the The General Register Office (Oifig An Ard-Chláraitheora) own website.

I certainly had no issues get the health nurses to amend thier files to the correct names of my children esp as I show them the birthcerts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement